Thread: The Slim Shady LP VS The Marshall Mathers LP

nada ignorante

Default The Slim Shady LP VS The Marshall Mathers LP

Which of these two albums you think is best?

I have enjoyed both albums a whole damn lot. But I gotta say Slim Shady LP had more impact on me, while MMLP had more comercial hits and fucking dope production too. Lyrically I gotta go with Silm Shady. Rock Bottom was classic.

N.I.

Lyrically Slim Shady, beat wise Slim Shady, but somehow I have a hard time not saying Marshall Mathers...

I'll go Slim Shady.

btw these are his only two albums that actually show his caliber of hip-hop, he's become more and more wack with every release since.

Marshall Mathers. Difficult to say why, but maybe cos he took the first lps concepts and expanded them, the lyrics have more depth to them. I like how he attacks the media on a lot of tracks. The production is more advanced although not necessarily better.

Ask me on a different day i might say slim shady. He was still at this level on devils night but after that he went downhill.

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Rozay's had both of these on heavy rotation recently I understand.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

Slim Shady LP for me.

While I'm not a big fan of Eminem, I do think Slim Shady has moody production that instantly clicks; you can listen to that album and every time it'll relate to you. The Bass Brothers really have to be thanked for producing the album, they utilized every bit of soul they could in order to make Slim Shady come to life; Dr. Dre has to be thanked to as he provided the best track of the album "Role Model" which is engaging in it's bravado alone.

Marshal Matters has more Dre production and some okay beats but I find myself turned off from it's serious nature and "The Real Slim Shady" which I used to like just feels weak to me. He was himself when he was just having fun, that's not to say that it has it's masterpieces; like "Remember Me".

Therefore, Slim Shady wins the proverbial battle.

Slim Shady without doubt.

I just dont givva fuck is still my favorite Eminem track.

I think the highlights on SSLP are better than the highlights on MMLP but as a whole album, MMLP is better. It is more cohesive, contains a consistent sonic density, and Eminem sounds so purposeful and driven on most tracks. (not to say he didn't on SSLP just more so on MMLP)

Slim shady LP, the imagery was superb, specially to a visualizer like me.

MMLP was still good but had a different vibe of course.

Great memories with both albums when it comes to where I was at in life and who my friends were at the time.

Soundtrack to life shyt

Eminem Re-Releasing 'The Slim Shady LP' on Cassette Tape

http://www.complex.com/music/2016/03...lp-on-cassette

We eat Fish

Slim shady lp

He is a real lyricist but personally I got tired of his voice , I've not consciously played Eminem in 10yrs or more , other than his diss track for mariah Carey .

I saw that about the cassette. Damn can't believe it's been that long. Well yeah I guess I can.

MMLP is a great sequel. Kinda like The Matrix Reloaded. Or It Was Written. Dope, great elements, very entertaining, more polished, but didn't blow my mind and change the game like the first one.

I go back and forth on this, but today it's Slim Shady. That album has fun, has great concepts, is emotional, and has tracks of straight shadowboxing. MMLP is way more cohesive, but the overall product isn't as enjoyable as the mish-mash that is SSLP. Both are great albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by muscularghandi View Post
    btw these are his only two albums that actually show his caliber of hip-hop, he's become more and more wack with every release since.
    He came out the gate incredibly strong, and then jumped off a cliff, which is an unusual artistic arc.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Marshall Mathers. Difficult to say why, but maybe cos he took the first lps concepts and expanded them, the lyrics have more depth to them. I like how he attacks the media on a lot of tracks. The production is more advanced although not necessarily better.

Ask me on a different day i might say slim shady. He was still at this level on devils night but after that he went downhill.
    I agree about a different day and about the depth; Eminem's best song is bar-none "Who Knew", from MMLP, which is a brilliant takedown of the media and society at the time in general while also being funny and extremely proficient technically. With simple yet nasty production, from -- I'm assuming and actually typing out the phrase too lazy to check wikipedia -- the Bass Bros. and Dre.

I see people often listen to Devil's Night as some prime Em shit. I haven't really ever given that album a true listen cuz I was turned off by the majority of D12, but I think I'll put it on just to see if there's some quality Slim Shady material I'm missing out on. Good Em is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRFTS View Post
    While I'm not a big fan of Eminem, I do think Slim Shady has moody production that instantly clicks; you can listen to that album and every time it'll relate to you. The Bass Brothers really have to be thanked for producing the album, they utilized every bit of soul they could in order to make Slim Shady come to life; Dr. Dre has to be thanked to as he provided the best track of the album "Role Model" which is engaging in it's bravado alone.

Marshal Matters has more Dre production and some okay beats but I find myself turned off from it's serious nature and "The Real Slim Shady" which I used to like just feels weak to me. He was himself when he was just having fun, that's not to say that it has it's masterpieces; like "Remember Me".

Therefore, Slim Shady wins the proverbial battle.
    Good points. Slim Shady is more approachable; MMLP is more decisive. And there's a lack of humor MMLP outside of the afore-mentioned "Who Knew" and "Bitch Please 2". "Real Slim Shady" is the first time Eminem's sense of humor betrays him, where he thinks being goofy and mentioning people in pop culture is enough to get the job done. "My Name Is" is such a great single because it's funny and poppy but also listenable to a hip-hop head. "Real Slim Shady" just has the poppy part. Unsurprisingly this is the song on the album which has aged the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by KJR View Post
    I think the highlights on SSLP are better than the highlights on MMLP but as a whole album, MMLP is better. It is more cohesive, contains a consistent sonic density, and Eminem sounds so purposeful and driven on most tracks. (not to say he didn't on SSLP just more so on MMLP)
    That's a statement I can't debate. It really is a day-by-day thing with his first two LPs.

Quote Originally Posted by KERZO View Post
    Slim shady LP, the imagery was superb, specially to a visualizer like me.

MMLP was still good but had a different vibe of course.

Great memories with both albums when it comes to where I was at in life and who my friends were at the time.

Soundtrack to life shyt
    MMLP has a lot of imagery too, just most of it was grounded in fantasy, all things considered. I guess it comes down to what you relate to more: superheroes or citizens.

I enjoy both very much but I find myself going back to sslp a lot more. I think like most people have been saying he just seemed to be having more fun compared to the much more serious and emotional mmlp. Mmlp I find to be a much deeper listening experience as it's more personal and he does touch on a lot of social issues, but ultimately I prefer Em the playful lyricist.

Role Model
    As The World Turns
    Still Don't Give a Fuck

Classic examples.

Off D12 I'd say Shit on You and Get Back standout to me as Em at his best.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

The closest hes got to those 2 albums since is Bad Meets Evil, which is pretty underrated as far as I can tell.

Although his style changed I still enjoy his later albums too. Songs like Rain Man and Big Weenie which are straight up childish, Relapse (which is a throwback to his SSLP style) and most of MMLP2.