Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think your parents did a good job?

Default Do you think your parents did a good job?

And what would you do or have you done differently raising children?

yeah she did..tho i would have encouraged more playin outside with those older as well as the same age

Feeding me, clothing me, keeping a roof above my head - yes
    raising, teaching, showing me the right path - H.E.L.L. NO

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

^deep

I think my parents did a very good job.

One thing which I of course hated when I was a kid/teenager, but am ever so grateful for now, is that my parents didn't spoil us at all. They didn't buy us shit lolz. A lot of my friends and that, their parents would buy them new skateboards, skate videos, new shoes, give them money every day to buy shitty food from the canteen at school etc. All for nothing. My parents didn't do that shit. It was a sensible amount of shit on Christmas and birthdays, packed lunches for school, otherwise if you want something then find the money to buy it yourself.

And we weren't poor. We weren't rich either. But they just didn't believe in giving us something for nothing I guess. And neither do I.

I hated it at the time but when I think back to it now I am so grateful. You see how most spoiled kids turn out and it's not something I'd want to be at all.

yeah if im ever a parent i'll be reasonably strict but extremely lovin

I don't think my parents did a great job. They didn't teach me how to have a good healthy relationship, which has caused issues in my marriage.

I've tried to be there more for my son and actually play with him. I've tried to show him how to treat a woman properly and with respect.

I recently had a girl pregnant but it got took care of thank fuck. It got me thinking about my parents, they happen to love each other so they had a family. But they weren't prepared. I don't think they knew how to deal with us at all they just hoped it would work out.

Dont get me wrong i love my parents they tried hard, but its more like i love them as friends.

I think if im ever ready to raise children i'll be supportive of the paths they choose and ultimately let them know that life is about enjoying yourself and that you shouldnt blame yourself for making mistakes.

Its difficult to know how kids will turn out, part of it is genetics and mental defects. I just want my kid to know that life is valuable. Its really an emotional subject, i dont want to ever get in a situation again where im not in love with the mother. I would resent the child and the mother. I felt this strongly a few weeks back when i went through this and i realized that because i care about how i grew up, i have to care about how my hypothetical children will. It changed my perspective completely on having children.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEXile View Post
    I don't think my parents did a great job. They didn't teach me how to have a good healthy relationship, which has caused issues in my marriage.

I've tried to be there more for my son and actually play with him. I've tried to show him how to treat a woman properly and with respect.
    Good to hear. How old is your son?

You raise a good point too, i think most people deal with relationships through trial and error like myself. My parents never gave me any advice on relationships, but i dont know if they could.

Is the burden on the parents to teach their offspring about friendship, love and sex or are they supposed to work that all out themselves?

I think i got things i wanted to easily..

other kids my age (with richer parents) didnt get half the shit i got when i was 8-15

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Good to hear. How old is your son?

You raise a good point too, i think most people deal with relationships through trial and error like myself. My parents never gave me any advice on relationships, but i dont know if they could.

Is the burden on the parents to teach their offspring about friendship, love and sex or are they supposed to work that all out themselves?
    My son is four. So he's just at the age of realizing roles and he's old enough to mimic me, so I try my best to treat my wife and other with respect so that he knows that he should do that as well.

I saw my parents scream at each other, demean one another in front of us kids, and that doesn't create a healthy model for adult relationships. I think as a parent myself, I believe it's important to set healthy guidelines for our children for relationships. Some of it they have to pick up for themselves. They have to learn who to trust and how to play the game that is a social life. We can give them a blueprint, but I think they need to pick some stuff up along the way.

children are great impersonators, give them something GREAT to impersonate

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

as a new parent, you'll make mistakes - it's inevitable - and when you look back at it, you'll see your parents in a whole "novah" light.

My mum was a worker, enjoyed her music, showed me how to judge people, how not to take any crap and as I was hyper as fuck, I think she did well.

My Dad, he's a good man, half assed his way through work when younger, focused on having friends and being social, he was a old 80's/90's metalhead stoner and used to take me to his mates house when I was like 9 where they would play cards, drink and smoke weed til 3am. My parents are both 51 now and settled into a more chilled lifestyle.

My parents split when I was 14, my dad buggered off and I didn't see him for about 3-5 years but I eventually caught back up with him and made up for lost time, I don't hold it against him though.

I grew up in a tough inner city council estate which might not be a black ghetto but was still tough going, lots of dodgy shit going down and I was a total rascal so I think they did well given the circumstances.

Now though, I live out in the sticks, have my own house, car, decent job and wife. I'll make sure my daughter and future kids are brought up in a more civil manner cause I was lucky I guess in that I have a tough mental attitude and managed to deal with alot of shit that other people wouldn't.

I have some mad mad memories of growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by 8 View Post
    Feeding me, clothing me, keeping a roof above my head - yes

This ^^^^

My parents have been ok, they tried to get me the things I wanted when I was younger and have not been to strict on me and allowed me to do my own thing.

I think most parents try to do the best they know how.

peace