Thread: The 30 Most Lyrical Rap Songs of the Past 5 Years

Banned

Default The 30 Most Lyrical Rap Songs of the Past 5 Years

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

(Opens link, sees image on main page, closes tab...)

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

^lol yep
    We do it for the people.

I've never heard a single song off that list, and only even know maybe 2 or 3 guys on the list. I was all like wtf is this shit and then I noticed the "last 5 years" shit lolz. I thought it was for all time and I was just like wtf this is an utter joke.

lol of 15 Though Jadakiss is mostly heralded as an accomplished but somehow still underrated MC, he did declare himself "top five dead or alive," and to this day, he sometimes still spits like he's worthy of that assertion. "Death Wish" is about the grim realities of street violence, namely fatalities, and 'Kiss completely loses himself in the Alchemist production with an alarming deftness.

The multis roll off effortlessly: "Loyalty is thin, the tension is thick/Look at a broke nigga's face when you mention a brick/Stick up kids come around when they sense that you're rich." There's a cohesive narrative that's also wholly supported by valiant lyricism on Jada's behalf, which leads into an equally dizzying chorus that exposes the morose detail of a casualty: "When your heart stops and your body gets breathless/And help don't come in enough time, that's a death wish."

The song amps up a notch when Wayne borrows the rhyme scheme of the chorus and begins his verse: "I be on that way left shit/Better get right or get left shit/Better hit right or get left hit." It sounds like basic slick talk, but the subtle nuance of "hit right or get left hit" is what makes Wayne verses such a delight. By the next line, he's telling an unknown opposition "motherfuck your guest list" and settling on the fatal decision of "let's just kill him and get breakfast" with sobering calmness. Wayne justifies this stark viewpoint with an unsettling note about his hometown: "I'm from the mecca of the reckless, with a record-breaking death list/The reckless and the neglecters think the election won't affect us," making sure to rhyme every word along the way.

"Death Wish" is a toe-to-toe, verse-to-verse competition, and the listener who's a fan of rap ultimately wins.

how do these guys write this faggot shit?

they try to sound intelligent and so knowledgable and just come off so pompous and douchy
    Non Ignorants

RIP

also makes me wonder how much jay electronica got paid by jay z to waste his hype

if he does ever drop he should do ok tho since underground will support him and maybe the roc nation groupies will flock to him if ye and jay tell them to
    Non Ignorants

RIP

haha @ no. 15

Yeah the real list is 30 jay elec songs, if he has even made that many lol.

Needs to drop his instant classic album soon.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I've never heard a single song off that list, and only even know maybe 2 or 3 guys on the list.
    Sure there is a lot of trash on that list, but if you have only heard of 2 or 3 of all the rappers on the list, you are clearly an idiot and should find something more constructive to do with your time than posting on a hip hop message forum.

Haha, there have been some good lists at Complex.. this is not one of them.

I've never heard a single song off that list, and only even know maybe 2 or 3 guys on the list.
    Me to....

I don't know any of the rappers of today - drake, rick ross, Kendrick Lamar, jay electronica etc...... and from what I have heard I am glad.... although no.1 on that list jay electronica's exhibit c was actually not that bad lyrically.

maybe I am showing my age, I don't know...... but to me everything was better in the golden age - dress, slang, steeze, lyrics, beats etc..... life in general namsayin.

It's actually funny in a way because most of the rappers out today did or had the chance to listen to the golden era and yet there music is still bad .... I mean I heard macklemore scream out wu tang raised him and just shook my head.

but yeah rap is dead in my opinion and has been since 97

peace
    Last edited by zooruka; 04-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    Sure there is a lot of trash on that list, but if you have only heard of 2 or 3 of all the rappers on the list, you are clearly an idiot and should find something more constructive to do with your time than posting on a hip hop message forum.
    I'm an idiot because I don't listen to modern hip hop? Fuuuucckkk, I better go and hit up the local music shop and buy a bunch of cd's I don't want to hear so I won't be an idiot anymore.

my last 2 albums shit on 80% of that list. *shrug*

I'm an idiot because I don't listen to modern hip hop? Fuuuucckkk, I better go and hit up the local music shop and buy a bunch of cd's I don't want to hear so I won't be an idiot anymore.
    Actually listening to an artist and having heard of them in the first place are two completely different things. Shit, I dont listen to Drake either, but at least Ive heard of him!

Clearly you dont know how to read and comprehend the English language. I stand by my original statement that you are obviously an idiot.

And probably extremely unattractive.

And smell like vinegar.

I didn't say I hadn't heard of them.

You've made a poor impression on me and I don't think I would like to spend time with you or be your friend in the real world.