• 3: Good

0 0%
  • 2: Boring

0 0%
  • 1: Wack

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother

Love Troy. I think I not into because most of the stuff I listen to has some type of grime element whether it be the production or the mc. This album has a very clean sound from the production and the the mc.

im not sure which i like better, this or the main ingredient. either way they are both classics.

I like most of the songs individually but it's hard to listen to this album for me because it's like 16 songs long and most of them sound the same... plus T.R.O.Y. and a few others like For Pete's Sake and Soul Brother #1 are better than the rest and I end up skipping
    plus CL Smooth isn't the most captivating rapper over an hour

One of the greatest Hip Hop albums ever made and easily 1992's best album.

^might have to agree

this album is so fucking incredible it ain't even funny, one of the 5 best hip-hop albums ever created imo. it might take some time to adjust to it though, for a good while i thought "The Main Ingredient" was the better LP from the duo but i really came to feel this is their superior LP. Pete Rock & CL had such great chemistry together, not many duo's will ever be able to match them and Gang Starr imo.

all the beats are catchy but still ruff and uptempo and i think the guy in here who said "if you won't like the loop Pete Rock uses you won't feel the song after 2 minutes" or whatever needs to go back and listen. there's not one song on here that's just a straight loop, Pete got the funky basslines going and the heavy drums but there's plenty of switches plus horns, tambourines, saxophones and whatever fading in and out of the joints. not to mention his turntable work, easily on par with Premier.

for me it was more CL i had to get used listening to, at first i just started zoning out when i listened to him and couldn't follow him for shit but he got nice wordplay and that voice is very unique. yes the album may be long, but for me that's a good thing! i had the CD for a long time but i found out that the cassette and LP had two extra bonus tracks so i always throw that on when i bump this now, so that's like 90 minutes long!!

6/5 ("Illmatic", "Ob4cl", "36 Chambers", "Ready to Die")

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

also can't forget to hype up "THE BASEMENT" - that's one of the absolute illest posse cuts in history. crazy dope Jamaican flavor to the beat with that Sister Nancy sample (a sample that's been thoroughly used in hip-hop but still Pete came extremely innovative). and the whole family is representing on here; InI, Pete, CL, Heavy D and Deda Baby Pa (who absolutely KILLS it).

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

-

I love their songs Act Like You Know and Skinz with Grand Puba. Those are my favorite songs on the album. I like the intro jazz sample that comes before Act Like You Know song. Grand Puba made me laugh on Skinz. He said nowadays I'm on some extra be careful shit. I take precaution before I slide up in the clit. Now fuck that, I put aluminum foil on my shit LOL. Cause if you catch it, boy that shit will kill you quick LOL. Better yet you can pass me a Ziplock. A bag of boom and a 40 and the boots knocked LOL. It gets stiff and it's hard like Charles Bronson LOL. It's kinda fucked up what happened to Magic Johnson LOL. I rock the world of a big body girl LOL. We'll hit the skinz even if she got a jhericurl LOL. Hit the skinz hard, she'll hang on to the bedpost LOL. Time to drop a load and get up and make some French toast LOL. Common sampled Skinz on Breaker 1/9 remix from his first album that sampled The Isley Brothers Between The Sheets song which he did a video for when Pete Rock said gimme room so I can speak about the skinz.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

-

Pete Rock should've never rapped because he sucks hahahahahahahahaha.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

The ABBOTT

30 year anniversary. If we could a collab between the two, even just a track or two. Now is the time.

Classic record. The follow up was even better to me. I just remember listening to that all summer, something like 03 or 04.

Shame that these guys could never work it out. I know PR seems to have a bad reputation, but hes one of the greatest producers ever. And then you would think CL would be bigger as a solo artist with his skills.