Thread: RZA Explains "The Cure" Delay, Wu-Tang Clan's "A Better Tomorrow" Progress

WuTang4Life

Default RZA Explains "The Cure" Delay, Wu-Tang Clan's "A Better Tomorrow" Progress

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=24469

Part of Wu-Tang Clan's mystique has come from the group members' unreleased works over the years. While there were tragic events such as Inspectah Deck's original Uncontrolled Substance sessions lost to a flood in RZA's basement. Then there were sample clearance issues that hindered Ghostface Killah's third album, Bulletproof Wallets. One of the more deliberate instances has surrounded RZA's long-discussed album, The Cure. While postulated throughout the last 15 years, it was once said to be the final album from the Brooklyn, New York emcee/producer. Montreality recently asked The Abbott about why The Cure remains unreleased, as RZA has not dropped a project under his name since 2008's Digi Snacks. "I won't release The Cure because at the time that I was scheduled to release it, I wasn't living up to the words that I was inspired to write," admitted RZA. "I live more to those words now—but still not fully. Maybe I'm like 70% livin' like that. I still kinda like to go party, have my drinks. I'm still tempted by women and things like that. I'm not really dealin' with a lot of infidelity like I was in the old days. I don't do a lot of drugs like I used to do. But I still get my lil' weekend parties on," He elaborated. "I'm not sayin' we shouldn't party, 'cause life should be enjoyed, but sometimes, the cure that I was writing about, was [where] you could have Heaven every moment of your life, in yourself."

Ever illusive, RZA waved, "Maybe I will release that album; maybe it'll be a book. Maybe somebody will find it and discover it, and maybe another artist will record it for me. But I wrote a lot of positive lyrics, and I strive as best I can, to be a positive example for humanity. Because I want to be somebody who helps humanity, not somebody who hurt us."

On the subject of relics, RZA also admitted that he invited his fellow Clansmen to return to one of Wu's legendary studios to record "Family Reunion." "The song 'Family Reunion' was recorded in my old studio, the same studio we recorded Wu-Tang Forever, which is the Wu-Tang mansion in south [New] Jersey—which I still own," admitted RZA. He also maintained a Wu Mansion West in California, in addition to a longtime lab on 34th Street in Midtown Manhattan. "I recently remodeled it and rebuilt the studio. I invited the brothers to come back to this place where we have such great memories. We recorded that song 'Family Reunion.'" The song takes greater meaning to the former Tommy Boy Records artist. "To me, it's time for a family reunion, not only as us—just Wu-Tang Clan, but all our fans." "We strive and have a better tomorrow. We had some good times; we had some bad times. But if tomorrow can be better than today [that is a good thing]." RZA added that all members besides GZA and Raekwon have been recording towards the group's forthcoming sixth album. "If things go right...you know, it's hard to get a Wu-Tang album, 'cause we all have such big careers and big families that we have to maintain, of our own, to bring that energy back is not so easy. It's looking real promising. Method Man did a lot of verses already. [Ghostface Killah] is writing some verses. U-God came over last week and took some music to write his verses. Masta Killa's been very on-point with his verses. Inspectah Deck, myself [have been working too]."

Inspectah Deck teamed with 7L & Esoteric this year to release CZARFACE, as U-God readies Keynote Speaker. Ghost also teamed with Adrian Younge for Twelve Reasons To Die in April. Both U-God and Ghost are signed to RZA's Soul Temple Records.

Beyond the title, A Better Tomorrow may come in time for the 20th anniversary on November 9. "If things go right and we finish this album, I think that we'll try to put it out in November, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of [Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)]. That's my goal."

The full Montreality interview with RZA is below. In the Q&A, RZA also discusses the whereabouts of the Bobby Digital suit, and a memorable, impromptu road trip with the late Ol' Dirty Bastard.

"i'm engaged to a shotgun and it gets jelous"

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

again, I knew it, same story as the 2007 drama 'we have to release it on the year 7'

and then they rushed the album

maybe they are working more time on this, maybe not...but I don't feel it when people don't record together, so I expect a lot of songs with mixed themes

no GZA is a good thing, but no Rae? hm. we'll see
    bring back begongo!!

read this earlier on HHDX, fuck the cure...

I'm sure GZA will be on there. I wouldn't care either way if Rae appeared or not though.

Wow really? It wouldn't be a clan album if one or two of the members was missing. I hope everyone is on there, it's a Wu-Tang Clan album.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyDrummer View Post
    Wow really? It wouldn't be a clan album if one or two of the members was missing. I hope everyone is on there, it's a Wu-Tang Clan album.
    I feel you. But imo a cohesive album between the members that really want to make this happen would be better than some phoned in half hearted verses. Recent interviews I've seen, Raekwon seems to be focused on himself at the moment and clueless about the album, while the rest of Wu are gettin together and doing shows really vibing out. Rae needs to put his ego aside and "do this right" just as he says.

Thats a good thing about the clan imo with 8/9 members and many killa bees to fill in are you really gonna miss raekwon?

I guess its personal taste though because i cant imagine a clan album without ghost or rza for example.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Quote Originally Posted by klege View Post
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=24469

Part of Wu-Tang Clan's mystique has come from the group members' unreleased works over the years. While there were tragic events such as Inspectah Deck's original Uncontrolled Substance sessions lost to a flood in RZA's basement. Then there were sample clearance issues that hindered Ghostface Killah's third album, Bulletproof Wallets. One of the more deliberate instances has surrounded RZA's long-discussed album, The Cure. While postulated throughout the last 15 years, it was once said to be the final album from the Brooklyn, New York emcee/producer. Montreality recently asked The Abbott about why The Cure remains unreleased, as RZA has not dropped a project under his name since 2008's Digi Snacks. "I won't release The Cure because at the time that I was scheduled to release it, I wasn't living up to the words that I was inspired to write," admitted RZA. "I live more to those words now—but still not fully. Maybe I'm like 70% livin' like that. I still kinda like to go party, have my drinks. I'm still tempted by women and things like that. I'm not really dealin' with a lot of infidelity like I was in the old days. I don't do a lot of drugs like I used to do. But I still get my lil' weekend parties on," He elaborated. "I'm not sayin' we shouldn't party, 'cause life should be enjoyed, but sometimes, the cure that I was writing about, was [where] you could have Heaven every moment of your life, in yourself."

Ever illusive, RZA waved, "Maybe I will release that album; maybe it'll be a book. Maybe somebody will find it and discover it, and maybe another artist will record it for me. But I wrote a lot of positive lyrics, and I strive as best I can, to be a positive example for humanity. Because I want to be somebody who helps humanity, not somebody who hurt us."

On the subject of relics, RZA also admitted that he invited his fellow Clansmen to return to one of Wu's legendary studios to record "Family Reunion." "The song 'Family Reunion' was recorded in my old studio, the same studio we recorded Wu-Tang Forever, which is the Wu-Tang mansion in south [New] Jersey—which I still own," admitted RZA. He also maintained a Wu Mansion West in California, in addition to a longtime lab on 34th Street in Midtown Manhattan. "I recently remodeled it and rebuilt the studio. I invited the brothers to come back to this place where we have such great memories. We recorded that song 'Family Reunion.'" The song takes greater meaning to the former Tommy Boy Records artist. "To me, it's time for a family reunion, not only as us—just Wu-Tang Clan, but all our fans." "We strive and have a better tomorrow. We had some good times; we had some bad times. But if tomorrow can be better than today [that is a good thing]." RZA added that all members besides GZA and Raekwon have been recording towards the group's forthcoming sixth album. "If things go right...you know, it's hard to get a Wu-Tang album, 'cause we all have such big careers and big families that we have to maintain, of our own, to bring that energy back is not so easy. It's looking real promising. Method Man did a lot of verses already. [Ghostface Killah] is writing some verses. U-God came over last week and took some music to write his verses. Masta Killa's been very on-point with his verses. Inspectah Deck, myself [have been working too]."
    We do it for the people.

This album isn't gonna be the last Wu-Tang album so I'm not stressing if its mediocre. This obsession with releasing it on the 20th anniversary of the first album is really strange though. Nobody cares about that anniversary. It's not like people got it marked on their calendar and celebrate it. Just make the album not suck and release it when its done.
    Love thy neighbor

CORNED BEEF CUNT

It seems like rae has always had issues wit rza all the way back to immobilarity...It wouldnt be wu without the man who spit that first verse on cream...

nada ignorante

NO Rae No GZA? = Not Wu-tang.
    N.I.

No rae aint bad... but no GZA... he's the genius u know..

Sounds like another cut and paste album and Rae wants nothing to do with it.
    The brutal offspring of Conan and Red Sonja.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepshow View Post
    Sounds like another cut and paste album and Rae wants nothing to do with it.
    If they don't try to make 8D again, and at least half of them is hungry, I think there will be little hope left for the album. Members like Gza and Rae can go and record whenever. Gza's been sleeping on tracks anyway.

The Cure thing is a joke. If he ever records an album with that name, it should be like BOAP's deepest tracks, not dancing in the cornfield type of shit. He could have easily sold 200 000- 300 000 copies of Cure, if he would've materialized the hype he had like 10 years ago.

Just that wisdom rap, and his own best beats, it's not so hard, just get to the studio.
    Ain’t nobody hardcorer than me - U-God

Quote Originally Posted by gamefacekillah View Post
    12 reasons fukkin miders keynote soeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Rofl at cilva not being considered a killa bee.

RZAs going to take away his wu badge and gun.

i dont see where this article says rae and Gza have opted out of the project. they just havent recorded yet.
    Christianity = White Supremacy