Thread: What is it about a role playing game that makes it a role playing game?

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Default What is it about a role playing game that makes it a role playing game?

Pretty much in any video game that you play, you are taking on the role of a character of some sort, so technically; every video game is a role playing game, so what is the difference. It seems rather redundant to me..

I see, there are various intricacies in role playing games that most other genres do not have so your response definitely provided some insight. Thank You.

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

I have thought this before.

You're right that even if we were to play Street Fighter we would be role playing
    ...to an extent I think RPG's try to enhance every aspect so it becomes less of a game
    And more of an experience as in that you almost have games inside games
    So the title is more broad and not primarily a "Shoot 'Em Up"/"Platform"/"Puzzle" game.
    You may do those things in the game itself.
    And a sense that "Levels" become more "Quests" or "Missions" or even "Triumphs"
    To put a more personal feel to it.
    And a sense of growth and learning as mentioned previously.

But I agree, as soon as you play a game with Characters you are role playing
    Changing characters in a fighting game just isn't as intense as say playing Zelda
    In terms of playing that role.

I guess "Puzzle Games" would be the exception of role playing.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    usually involves deep character progression, improving equipment and skills in order to defeat more difficult objectives
    So basically RPG console games are todays version of the Dungeon and Dragons dice games from the past.

Whers, your reply makes a lot of sense. I surmise that is why so many people get wrapped up in these massively multiplayer online roleplaying games. It is sort of a form of escapism that has been warped. @BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI I have even heard of games of Dungeons and Dragons turning violent in real life.

Banned

The difference is that in Street Fighter you are controlling a character with set abilities, set moves, set appearane etc that's what separates an RPG because it is all customizable and you can play however you want so basically assuming a role and playing it that way. You can't really do that in non-RPG games.

Quote Originally Posted by BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI View Post
    So basically RPG console games are todays version of the Dungeon and Dragons dice games from the past.
    Pretty much. A lot of RPG games and world's come from D&D games from the 70's and 80's that people created, like Baldur's Gate for example.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

As long as it have levels, experience points, statistics (strength, defense, luck etc...) weapons stats, armor stats a game can be considered an RPG. Whether is action, adventure or even missions, if it have those element then it's an RPG. As for the name it self definitions changes with the times, but these type of games mainly puts the player with a character on a long story driven Journey, which is why they were called Role Playing in the first place.
    Last edited by RagnaroK; 08-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Human Instrumentality Project

Sacrificing older life to create a new lifeform blessed with the fruit of life

An RPG is a game that involves spending way too much time just walking about doing fuck all Hahaha

lol, true! Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim are the only RPG's Ive played but you can literally spend days just messing around with them without even touching the main storyline of the game!

^ just chilling on a mountain exploding mutants heads with a powered up sniper rifle haha