Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raekwon Responds To "Control," Says Kendrick Lamar "Can Never Wear That Crown

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    i think it's so cliche to say Biggie will always be the king of new york. not taking anything away from biggie, but he only put out 2 albums while he was alive.

i hate when someone dies and they become bigger than they actually were.

rae didn't like biggie when he was around. said that biggie stole nas' style. if biggie stole from nas, wouldn't that make nas the king of new york in raekwon's eyes?

Actually it was only one album, but Rae's right. Big was the king of NY when he died, its not an exaggeration, a cliche or subjective, he just was. And no one has come along who's holding the same all round respect he had. Rae didn't like Biggie because Rae didn't like anybody back then. It's New York, no one likes anybody.

Jay Z doesn't have a claim because until Blueprint he spent a long time simply not being the king, and Blueprint made critics fall in love with him but it still didn't give him the "king of NY" feel, it wasnt that sort of album. Plus half of NY thought he lost the Nas beef.

So no other rapper has taken that title. So Big is the king, it's not even a debate.

The "King of..." is such an arbitrary thing, it's not some definitive title. Big was KONY because of that Source cover, because of the east/west beef but most importantly because he was the most popular. He was still getting dissed though. Boot Camp dissed him, Wu dissed him, Jeru dissed him, Nas dissed him. All these guys now giving Big props never did while he was alive. Death, though, turned him into a iconic, immortal figure who didn't get the chance to put out terrible albums so everyone remembers only the good but not the potential, and maybe even eventual considering how bad mainstream hip-hop was in the late nineties, decline in his music.

So what I'm saying is that there is no such thing as the KONY and if there is its most certainly Jay-Z.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Come on man Nas is the man.. Versatile slick lyricist, hes battled,dropped countless amounts of jewels.. Maybe hes made a few mistakes but come on..anyway thus goingoff subject. Maybe there aint a king of NY but i always thought Nas was best out of themvaside from GFK i think he coulda come close to holding that crown if he kept it more versatile.

Kendrick got the whole rap world shook

OG-18* WAT

Ghostface Killah is the king of ny
    La Connoisseur Life

I see Harry Fraud in there, I hope Fraud works with Rae, cuz I think that would sound amazing.

about the video, The Chef is right!

'

Quote Originally Posted by Rawticus View Post
    Come on man Nas is the man.. Versatile slick lyricist, hes battled,dropped countless amounts of jewels.. Maybe hes made a few mistakes but come on..anyway thus goingoff subject. Maybe there aint a king of NY but i always thought Nas was best out of themvaside from GFK i think he coulda come close to holding that crown if he kept it more versatile.
    Lol a few mistakes? Byron Crawford just published this book:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost In The 'Lac View Post
    Actually it was only one album, but Rae's right. Big was the king of NY when he died, its not an exaggeration, a cliche or subjective, he just was. And no one has come along who's holding the same all round respect he had. Rae didn't like Biggie because Rae didn't like anybody back then. It's New York, no one likes anybody.

Jay Z doesn't have a claim because until Blueprint he spent a long time simply not being the king, and Blueprint made critics fall in love with him but it still didn't give him the "king of NY" feel, it wasnt that sort of album. Plus half of NY thought he lost the Nas beef.

So no other rapper has taken that title. So Big is the king, it's not even a debate.
    couldnt agree more. props and repped. frank white yall.. hello ??

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    Lol a few mistakes? Byron Crawford just published this book:

lol wow thats crazy
    We do it for the people.

Kool G Rap is the king of NY.

If he can wear that crown imagine how my crown is looking.

imagine how my crown is looking

Melf Nederlandse lifestyle & hiphop community. Voor bazen. De beste website van de wereld.[

OG-18* WAT

^
    La Connoisseur Life

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Kendrick stole the new york line from Kurupt

I know most people associate king of NY with just rhyming... but in my opinion 94 (Rzarectah) RZA is the king of NY.... like meth said with the beats with the rhymes any dj.

RZA with his agreesive flow (Gravediggaz) and the beats he was making (93-97), plus his vision with wu tang clan definitely makes him the undisputed King of NY.

RZA =
    Last edited by zooruka; 08-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost In The 'Lac View Post
    Kendrick stole the new york line from Kurupt

kurupt the real king but fuck raekwon..