Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Jus Allah "Meanest Man Alive"

Crumple in the cut... Admiral Crumple's Avatar

Big up Origin for showing me love!
    Jus`s new album snippets sound dope!

Here is the joint him and I created together!

Admiral Crumple - Dark, Hardcore and Clever hip hop since 2002!
    Be sure to "like" www.facebook.com/admiralcrumple
    instagram/crumple1
    Youtube.com/skelter
    Twitter.com/admiralcrumple

Griselda Dinner Plates Brick Thunderbird's Avatar

Thanks for the review, Monkeybarz. Hoping my copy arrives here soon.
    "Return to earth as a person, only to see you mouse niggas running from the serpent" - Jus Allah

7 Golden Vampirez Poison Flowerz!'s Avatar

When Winters Going talkingg about Paz??

Peace CT

Thanx for link monkeybarz. Peace

PRODIGAL SUN

God, this album sounds terrible from the sampler. Sounds like he's reading a book over a Myspace beat.

A little bit more of a reliable source but not a hard copy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mma/id1031735814

"Therapy" sounds alright. He butchered swapping out the original beats to 180 and Thoughtcrime.

Wine & Spirits... what was he thinking

Last edited by madchild; 09-03-2015 at 07:07 PM.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

C-Lance produced the entire album originally if i remember correctly.
    C OF TRANQUILITY DROPPING OCTOBER 5TH 2010

On first listen, the album is solid for Jus Allah at this point in his career.

The biggest issue is the mixing in my opinion; the vocals were placed on top of the beats, rather than mixed into the beats so one isn't overpowering the other.

The production is raw, boom-bap oriented, and suits Jus' flow, and delivery well. "When Winter's Going" reminds me of "The Apostles Creed" on Psycho-Social.

Lyrically, Jus has improved on the depth of his content, diving into compelling characterization and intriguing storytelling on "Danger" and "Therapy", "Days Like This", "When Winter's Going" (which may be metaphorically describing the situation with Paz, and Jus take in hindsight of it all), and "Wine & Spirits." While "Destiny" delves into the most introspective, and honest analysis of Jus' current mind frame, and intentions.

"I'm stranded inside of this mannequin
    But the plan is to understand how to reanimate as a man again"

These are the strongest cuts on the album based on my first listen. Jus still follows the same formula of often starting verses with "I" or "I'm", but the content on here makes up for it greatly. His flow is straightforward and smooth what you would expect from Jus, and though it does get a little predictable with little variation on the cadence and flow structure, he has the "it" factor that can draw the listener in.

Overall the album is good as a collection of solid tracks, but it isn't cohesive with direction as an album would play out. A few tracks don't even feature scratches or sampling between the verses, giving an incomplete feeling to a few cuts. I understand the rush to get something out given the delay, but at least ensure tracks are polished to the fullest degree and cohesively mastered so that the song transitions are fluent and connected.

None the less, I commend Jus Allah for getting this project off the ground with the resources he had.

8/10.
    Last edited by Dark Matter; 09-04-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Still waiting on my copy, but they just put it up on Spotify.
    "Return to earth as a person, only to see you mouse niggas running from the serpent" - Jus Allah

Nice analysis, Dark Matter. I've listened to it twice now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The short length leaves me wanting more, but it's a solid project.

I appreciate that Jus added a new verse to Thoughts.

That Wine and Spirits is so different from how I'm used to hearing Jus, but that shit is so ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Barry View Post
    Nice analysis, Dark Matter. I've listened to it twice now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The short length leaves me wanting more, but it's a solid project.
    I appreciate that Jus added a new verse to Thoughts.

That Wine and Spirits is so different from how I'm used to hearing Jus, but that shit is so ill.
    Thanks man! Yeah, the album definitely leaves me wanting more as well, but I dig it for what it is. The new verse on Thoughts/Thought Crime is great, it really adds to the track. I was also surprised at Wine & Spirits, it shows just how versatile Jus can get with his storytelling.

as a horrorcore album, this is great. as a general hip-hop album, it's good. the best way to enjoy the record is to think of it as a horrorcore album. also, the repetitive use of "I" and "I am" can be seen as Jus' alter ego, a la Slim Shady. I mean, every verse is about how "evil" he is, so just think of it as a deranged alter ego.

I just wish the beats were harder. they're not bad, though. still, I think everyone can admit that the original beats for Thoughts and 180º were better. it's a shame he couldn't keep the same beats, but Jus burned every bridge and those producers wouldn't give him the beats. I don't even know if this dude has any friends left. there's ZERO advertisement for this album

Fun fact: RA the Rugged Man was going to be the sole guest MC on the album, but Jus said he didn't want to get outshined on his own shit by anyone. I would've liked to have heard a guest verse
    Last edited by monkeybarz; 09-04-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybarz View Post
    the repetitive use of "I" and "I am" can be seen as Jus' alter ego, a la Slim Shady. I mean, every verse is about how "evil" he is, so just think of it as a deranged alter ego.
    Haha, you read my mind! Good observation. The more I've been listening to this album, the more I associate that setup with Jus' characterization. That's a good way of looking at it.

I like the album version of Thought/Thought Crime more than the original. Not a fan of the beat for 180, though.

I like the album version of Thought/Thought Crime more than the original. Not a fan of the beat for 180, though.
    Agreed. The new beat for 180 sounds uninspired. I wasn't really feeling that track from the get go though. But the way Jus revamped Thought Crime made for a much more compelling track. I bump my rating of the album up to a 9/10.