Thread: More dumb hunters spark outrage by killing spirit moose

Default More dumb hunters spark outrage by killing spirit moose

Rare albino animal was considered sacred by the indigenous Mi'kmaq people; hunters have apologized and hide will be used during a ceremony to 'honor the Spirit of the Spirit Moose'

hree hunters were within their rights when they killed a rare albino moose last week in the Nova Scotia wilderness.

But since then they’ve been widely criticized on social media sites, and their action has outraged the indigenous Mi’kmaq people, who regard white creatures as “spirit animals” and believe that killing them brings bad luck.

Danny Paul, a Mi’kmaq hunter, told CBC that aboriginal people have known about the spirit moose for years.

We know the significance and we’ve been teaching that to the non-native population for almost 500 years—about the importance that this and other white animals played in our lives,” he said. “We are not to harm them in any way, shape, or form because they could be one of our ancestors coming to remind us of something significant that’s going to happen within our communities.

“It was so disrespectful having seen it put on the social media, and it’s been an outcry and our people are outraged.”

A Department of Natural Resources biologist said that based on the photographs, the moose probably was a partial albino.

The hunters, whose names have not been publicized, have apologized, saying they did not know the animal was sacred. They have agreed to deliver the hide for a traditional Mi’kmaq ceremony.

The hunters brought the hide to Hnatiuk’s Hunting & Fishing Ltd., a hunting and taxidermy business in the Nova Scotia town of Lantz.

Hnatiuk’s has served as a sort of middleman and has used its Facebook page to speak on behalf of the hunters and the Mi’kmaq.

In a post that included the accompanying illustration of a spirit moose, Jim Hnatiuk stated:

“The hunters have shared that they regret, that unknowingly they caused this to happen. Some may not accept that, but it doesn’t change what is true.

“These are good men and they broke no law, and they have expressed that it would have been nice to have known more about the significance of these white moose. Hopefully through this, many are much more informed and, this provides the catalyst for more to be done.”

In a separate post, Mi’kmaq Chief Bob Cloade wrote: “First of all I would like to thank all those who have come forth to bringing closure to the hunt of the Sacred animal. The Hyde is being prepared to begin a four-day ceremony once it is ready…

“I have full cooperation from the Hunters, Hnatiuk’s Hunting & Fishing, DNR etc. The next step is to bring a peaceful closure and honor the Spirit of the Sacred Moose.”

The white moose was killed near Belle Cote, Nova Scotia.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excur...-spirit-moose/

The ABBOTT

check, why do you always have negative comments about hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Food For Thought, i don't even pay you any attention because i know you're a retard.

- Texas hunters issue permit to kill critically endangered black rhino to try to conserve black rhinos

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-hunters-...182544084.html

--400 pound comedian dies while hunting

Comedian Jay Leggett, who produced a documentary about the joys of deer hunting, died of natural causes at the end of a deer hunt Saturday.

Leggett, 50, collapsed and died next to his all-terrain vehicle at the end of a hunt on the first day of gun deer season in his native Tomahawk, Wisconsin, according to Lincoln County sheriff's spokesman Mike Caylor. A deer that Leggett had killed was strapped to the ATV.

Leggett's 2011 film "To the Hunt: Deer Season in Tomahawk, Wisconsin" documented deer camp life and "the fun, family and fraternity of the hunt," according to promotional materials.

"The victim had returned to the cabin from his deer stand on an ATV," the sheriff's statement said. "When he got off the machine he collapsed and was found unresponsive by family members who immediately started CPR."

Paramedics were unable to revive Leggett and the coroner pronounced him dead at the scene, Caylor said.

Comedian, hunter, teacher

Leggett, who grew up in Tomahawk, performed with The Improv Olympic in Chicago, a company that included Mike Meyers, Chris Farley and Andy Richter. He left the company to join the cast of "In Living Color" for the TV sketch comedy series' 1993 season.

He acted in many other TV shows after moving to Los Angeles, but he also became a screenwriter. He wrote, produced and acted in the 2004 comedy film "Employee of the Month," starring Matt Dillon.

At the time of his death, Leggett was the lead instructor at Comedy Now L.A., teaching improv, acting and writing.

Andy Devine, the co-creator and star of Comedy Central's "Workaholics," called Leggett his "guru."

"RIP my friend, teacher and mentor Jay Leggett. You will be missed," Devine Tweeted Sunday.

Devine is quoted on the school's website calling hm "by far the best teacher I've ever had."

"He gave me the comedy chops I needed to become successful," Devine said. "It's simple: He'll make you the best you can be. He eats and sleeps comedy. And also real food and real sleep -- because he's not crazy. He also gave me my first paying comedy job which proves just how smart and insightful he really is."

Da bears

--- Five Bears attack hunters in alaska

A hunting trip to the remote wilderness of Alaska went awry for a group of deer hunters after they were attacked by a group of brown bears. While most of the hunters escaped safely, an elderly man among the group was severely injured, reports CNN. The bear attack took place on the remote Sally Island, where the hunters had come for deer hunting. The injured man has been identified as Michael Snowden from Alaska. Some reports mention his age to be 68.

According to an official statement released by the U.S. Coast Guard, the man, along with his hunting party, were carrying the carcass of a deer they had shot towards their fishing vessel when the bear attack took place. While the coast guard hasn’t confirmed the number of animals that were involved in the bear attack, the CNN report says the group was attacked by at least five bears. An earlier report by NBC News had put the number of bears at three. According to that report, two of the bears were fatally shot by one of the hunters. This is yet to be confirmed.

While most of the members managed to fend off the attack, one 65-year-old man was brutally mauled by one of the bears and was seriously injured. The hunting party was initially unaware of the bears congregating to attack the group of men. They were in fact alerted by the master of the fishing vessel they had used to come to the island.

It is highly unusual for a group of bears to carry out an attack on humans, the U.S. Coast Guard said in the statement.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1589491/bea...sEvv1jA8VD4.99

Banned

Go the bears! I love it when animals get one up on hunters
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post

'

Man hunting geese in New Jersey accidentally kills himself

(Reuters) - A man hunting geese with his father in New Jersey shot and killed himself in what police said Sunday appeared to be an accident.

Police in West Windsor Township, about 40 miles northeast of Philadelphia, said the 45-year-old victim and his father were properly licensed to hunt the birds.

Investigators said it appears the victim died from a single gunshot wound to the head and neck from his own firearm on Saturday afternoon.

"Although incredibly tragic, it is believed that the incident was solely an accident," police said in a statement.

The pair, who were the only members of the hunting party, had Canada geese decoys spread out around the wooded area where they were looking for the birds, a news release said.

The identity of the victim has not been released.