Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kool G. Rap's List of Top Ten Lyricists Does Not Include Biggie or Tupac

"Sleep on my stomach so i don't fuck up my sheets"

I can't explain why but this is somehow better than anything G Rap wrote, just casually referencing that he regularly shits himself in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by prof zooruka View Post
    explain
    There's not much to explain. His lyrics were really simple and straight forward and in no way remarkable. In one word, average. He was an above average mc but and average lyricist.

I don't see why Ghost gets a mention either. Again, just average.

Neither of those guys would get a mention in any size top lyricist list of mine, because I would cut it off before I got to either of them because they're not worthy of a mention. I'm not saying they're bad. Not at all. Just in no way remarkable.

I'm not sure where the line is between artist and lyricist, they're linked in a lot of ways.

BIG had great lines, more importantly great songs with a beginning, middle and end. His songs had humor, pathos and incredible storytelling.

Ghostface has a unique style with the slang snd weird references, another great storyteller with an honest approach.

They're 2 of the best imo. Noel who you consider some of the best lyricists?

Banned

nobody remembers slick rick anymore

Redman is a great lyricist, he is one of my favorites and I trully love his rap, but he isnt one of the best lyricist, in the way his lyrics are not really complex, like some of Eminem´s lyrics for exemple, but just because they arent complex doesnt mean that they arent great, because his flow, voice, atittude and funny punchlines are what make Redman rap GREAT.

a MC doesnt need to be complex to his rap be great, and sometimes there are some MC´s that their lyics are really complex, but they rap suck at the same time.

to me the most important thing a MC can have is atittude and flow, and Redman, Bigie Smalls and Ghostface surelly have that.

Ghostface IS lyrical, with complex lyrics, good stories and GREAT atittute, so he is a really good MC. Only thing that maybe lack on Ghost´s lyrics is funny punchlines, so when I want to have fun and listen to rap have a good laugh I listen to Sean Price.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 11-03-2013 at 08:03 PM.

oh, 2 MC´s that are really good lyricist in totally different ways are Big Pun and Hammer imo.

Quote Originally Posted by theheavens View Post
    nobody remembers slick rick anymore
    his stuff doesnt hold like alotta other stuff from that time period oif you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post

I don't see why Ghost gets a mention either. Again, just average.
    I don't like ghostface's voice

I think raekwon is a better m.c than ghost.

But I like ghostface as a person, he seems real relaxed and laid back, and doesn't try to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    a MC doesnt need to be complex to his rap be great.
    I agree, that is why I like Ice Cube, W.C, Mac 10 and B - real.

and sometimes there are some MC´s that their lyics are really complex, but they rap suck at the same time..
    I agree.... Masta killah is a good example of that for me.
    Last edited by zooruka; 11-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Good. My fav mc.of all time g rap doesnt overate biggie and pac like most of em.pow!!

'

i'd french kiss the dude.
    Ummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    ]Noel who you consider some of the best lyricists?
    Gza, Killah Priest, K-Rino.

Hip hop lyrics in general are very unimpressive to me. It's a very basic style of poetry/writing. Dudes like Big Daddy Kane, Redman, Kool G Rap, and those types, they write really great hip hop lyrics, but it's pretty simple stuff. Rakim was advanced for his time but by the time Eric B and Rakim was done and he went solo, he was just another one of the pack (as far as lyrics alone go). Canibus can drop some good bars but is inconsistent to the point where he's probably never written a verse that didn't have a few average to terrible lines in it.

Nas is I guess a standout too, but I'm just personally not really into him. I find him really boring for some reason.

I actually much prefer simple but unique and interesting styles of lyricism like Vast Aire (during Can Ox/Atoms Fam phase), or MF Grimm, to faggots who just drop gay multies all over the place, and all that faggoty similie, punchline shit, or worst of all faggots who try really hard to sound smart and/or deep.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Gza, Killah Priest, K-Rino.

Hip hop lyrics in general are very unimpressive to me. It's a very basic style of poetry/writing. Dudes like Big Daddy Kane, Redman, Kool G Rap, and those types, they write really great hip hop lyrics, but it's pretty simple stuff. Rakim was advanced for his time but by the time Eric B and Rakim was done and he went solo, he was just another one of the pack (as far as lyrics alone go). Canibus can drop some good bars but is inconsistent to the point where he's probably never written a verse that didn't have a few average to terrible lines in it.

Nas is I guess a standout too, but I'm just personally not really into him. I find him really boring for some reason.

I actually much prefer simple but unique and interesting styles of lyricism like Vast Aire (during Can Ox/Atoms Fam phase), or MF Grimm, to faggots who just drop gay multies all over the place, and all that faggoty similie, punchline shit, or worst of all faggots who try really hard to sound smart and/or deep.
    why does simple lyricism equate to simple rhyme schemes?

and another question: who are some of your favorite producers?

I don't think its a basic form of poetry at all. Theres some basic motherfuckers doing it, but the guys you mention: Grimm, GZA, Vast etc (and for me a lot of others) write some great songs and are very smart.

It sounds like you just don't like rap that much. What music do you usually listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT View Post
    why does simple lyricism equate to simple rhyme schemes?
    It really doesn't at all. That's not what I meant. Though it is basically what I said. For lack of a better way to put it. I guess I could have said simply structured lyricism.
    Quote Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT View Post
    and another question: who are some of your favorite producers?
    I like the Wu sound. So Rza, 4th, True Master, Mathematics. Havoc during the good years. But I also love all the other 90's legends like Premo, Pete Rock, Prince Paul etc. All the legends. Stoupe from the more modern bunch. But the Wu guys and peak Havoc would be my faves.
    I don't think its a basic form of poetry at all. Theres some basic motherfuckers doing it, but the guys you mention: Grimm, GZA, Vast etc (and for me a lot of others) write some great songs and are very smart.

It sounds like you just don't like rap that much. What music do you usually listen to?
    I'm not saying everybody who writes hip hop lyrics is dumb and there's no thought going into it. It's just a pretty straight forward style of writing. But it's the ones who make it not straight forward, like Gza, Vast Aire, some others, who stand out to me. I totally respect good hip hop lyrics and some guys impress me, but the majority are just generic fucks who have no actual talent at all in regards to writing.

I love hip hop. I stopped following it about 7-8 years ago, but I still listen to the older stuff all the time. I'll never stop liking it. I'm more into 60's and 70's stuff these days, like Floyd, Beatles, Neil Young, Zeppelin etc, but I still listen to as much hip hop as anything else.

When I speak harshly and critically of hip hop it's because when I left it all those years ago it was a fucking disgrace and pretty much made me sick. Almost every faggot sounded the same, there was zero individually, and any faggot who could flow and write heaps of multies got a record deal. I fucken hated it. So I stopped following it. For all I know it has been completely revived and is at its peak now, but it's too late for me. At this point I have no desire to go back. I'll stick with what I know and love. There's certainly enough of it already.

From everything he posted, it sounds like Noel 411 would only be happy with Holocaust "mixed forrest zone” style.

He is the only m.c that could meet your standard.
    Last edited by zooruka; 11-04-2013 at 12:16 AM.