Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of Windows XP support

Default The end of Windows XP support

Windows XP is now more than 12 years old but according to data from Net Applications, it is still used on more than 31% of desktop and laptop computers around the world. Those tens of millions of PC users could be in for a very rude awakening next year once Microsoft cuts off support for the aged operating system. Microsoft itself even warned users of the imminent tsunami of viruses and other malware that will inevitably wash over XP stragglers once it stops issuing updates and fixes for the OS. Now, a recently discovered critical zero-day flaw has been acknowledged in a Microsoft support document that could cause serious problems for XP users.

“The vulnerability is an elevation of privilege vulnerability,” Microsoft said in a recent security advisory. “An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run arbitrary code in kernel mode. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full administrative rights.”

Microsoft confirmed that it is working on a fix for the flaw, but let this serve as a warning — after April 8th 2014, critical flaws like this one (and worse) will go unfixed, thus leaving gaping holes in Windows XP that are just begging for malware to exploit them.

Veteran Member

Ya, I don't have XP though. I have W7 and I think I have maybe 2 more yrs before no support. Crazy though.

--- Still on Windows XP? Here’s Some Bad Advice.

You might think that an operating system that was actually engineered in the late 90s would be fully obsolete and unused by now. After all, since XP came out, Microsoft has released several major replacement versions: Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 (recently upgraded to Windows 8.1).

But there’s something about Windows XP. It’s basic, stable, fast enough, and good enough for a lot of people. It’s still running on more than 10 percent of the world’s computers, and it’s huge in China.

Still, it’s time. It’s hard to keep an operating system this old up to snuff in today’s online environment. XP works, but it’s not built to the same security level as modern operating systems. Microsoft doesn’t want to keep writing new security upgrades for it, so on April 8, it’s stopping. No more security updates. No more support. Your XP computer will still work, but Microsoft won’t help you anymore. Microsoft is pretty harsh about it: “XP cannot be considered safe to use after support ends.”

Microsoft urges you to upgrade. There’s even a site that tells you when your XP world will end: AmIRunningXP.com. Microsoft also has more info on what "end of support" means. To be fair, moving off XP would be a smart thing to do. Newer operating systems are easier to use (at least most of them), they run the cool new apps, and they’re definitely safer. But how do you move from an old computer that’s running XP into the modern era? I’ve heard a lot of advice on how to make the transition. Not all of it good. Here are your options. Bad ideas first:

Bad idea #1: Just don’t worry about it
    It’s not like Windows XP computers will magically stop working on April 9. So don’t worry about it; just keep on using it.

Why is this a bad idea? The problem with an old operating system is that it’s not up to speed with modern attacks. Operating systems need to be patched (updated) frequently to keep them safe from data thieves, scammers, viruses, and the like. After April 8, there will be no more updates coming.

But if you plan to keep going with XP for a while, at least make sure you’re on the last, ultimate version of it, called Service Pack 3. After April 8, you won’t be able to upgrade. Windows’ own update utility should manage this for you. Make sure it’s done so.

Microsoft says it will continue to provide updates to its “anti-malware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015,” so you can continue to use the company’s antivirus app, Microsoft Security Essentials. That is, assuming you already have MSE. After April 8, it won’t be available for download at all. You could also get a possibly better antivirus tool from another vendor. PC Pro recommends Avast 2014. It’s free, and they say it’s better than Microsoft’s own Security Essentials.

But don’t get comfortable. According to Microsoft, even up-to-date security software can’t save you if the operating system itself isn’t secure. And Windows XP just isn’t. Microsoft says, “Our research shows that the effectiveness of anti-malware solutions on out-of-support operating systems is limited. Running a well-protected solution starts with using modern software and hardware designed to help protect against today’s threat landscape.”

So you can keep using XP, but not without risk. You probably don’t want it connected to the Internet, and even plugging a USB drive into it could be unsafe.

Bad idea #2: Upgrade to Windows 8, like Microsoft wants you to
    Why not get the latest version of Windows? It’s so shiny!

There are two big reasons why this is a bad idea. The first: It probably won’t work. Your old Win XP machine likely does not have the horsepower, the hard disk space, or the hardware to run Windows 8.

Second: You’ll hate it. Windows 8 (including 8.1) has two separate interfaces. There’s a Windows desktop-like one in there, which you’ll probably find comfortable, but you have to go through the touchscreen-centric primary interface to get to it. That’s fine if you have a tablet. But your XP machine is no tablet.

You can mostly avoid that tile-based, touchscreen interface, but not completely. It pops up from time to time, usually when you’re in a hurry and stressed out, and it’s frustrating when it happens.

You can also bite the bullet and get a new Windows 8 computer. They’re not expensive at all. They’re just alien.

If you do start over on a Windows 8 machine, Microsoft has tools to make moving your data from XP to Windows 8 fairly straightforward.

Bad idea #3: Move to Linux
    The geek operating system (sorry, geeks) called Linux is stable, fast, cheap, and free, and will run on your old XP machine better than Windows 8 will. The nerds will tell you it’ll do everything that XP will do. They’re right.

But here’s why it’s a bad idea: It really is a platform for nerds. Few people you know — unless you know a lot of programmers — will be able to help you out. And your Windows software won’t work. If you have apps you like, you’ll have to find Linux equivalents for them. You’re better off moving to a consumer-friendly operating system.

Bad idea #4: Get a Chromebook
    We love the oddball new Chromebooks, Google’s web-centric laptops. They’re cheap, they work great with online apps, and they’re easy to share.

Why is this a bad idea, then? Because Chromebooks rely on a connection to the Internet. Some functions and apps work when disconnected, but most don’t. And Chromebooks don’t run regular Windows programs (Photoshop, Quicken, iTunes, and so on). Chromebooks are great for specific purposes and people (they are great for kids at home or school, for example), but they’re not quite ready to replace Macs or Windows PCs for everybody.

Don’t like these bad ideas? Then try one of these other directions:

Better idea #1: Upgrade to Windows 7
    The version of Windows that predates Windows 8 is really good. It’s stable and conceptually similar enough to Windows XP that a transition will not be difficult.

It’s not a perfect solution, though. Your machine may not have the juice to run Windows 7, either, as it actually takes a slightly more powerful computer to run Windows 7 well than Windows 8. But you can, for the time being still buy Windows 7 (even though it’s not clear if Microsoft is still manufacturing Win 7 disks), and some hardware vendors still sell computers with Windows 7 installed on them.

Microsoft really wants you on Windows 8, obviously. A Microsoft spokesperson took pains to remind me that Windows 8 is more secure, faster, and uses less energy than Windows 7.

But the easiest new version of Windows to learn after Windows XP is Windows 7, so if you’re just using Windows to run a particular app, it’s a very good option.

Better idea #2: Get a Mac
    Bizarrely, it’s easier to move from Windows XP to the Macintosh operating system, OS X, than to Windows 8.1. There are maddening small differences, but conceptually OS X is similar enough to Windows XP (and every other version of Windows other than Windows 8). It doesn’t take people very long to adapt. Most (though not all) good apps are available in Mac versions, too, and your data files should transfer over just fine.

It’s an expensive move, though. The cheapest new Mac costs $600 (the entry-level Mac Mini; you can use the screen, mouse, and keyboard from your old Windows computer). Laptops start at $1000 and desktops at $1,300. Complete Windows machines today start in the $300 range, or very nicely equipped at about $600. If you can afford it, though, and you’re not married to specific Windows XP software, Macs are a treat to use.

You’re not alone
    Why are people still using Windows XP? I asked my Facebook followers and got good answers from people who are. Some people keep old machines for specific purposes, like running XP-only software and the like. Some just take the enlightened opinion that if they have a computer that works for what they want, there’s no reason to spend money and time on an upgrade.

Just because a manufacturer deems one of its products obsolete, it doesn’t mean everyone who uses such a product has to stop using it immediately. However, over time, an old product in the modern world will develop problems: It will be less safe, or there won’t be people to fix it, or some other product it relies on will fail, and replacements won’t be available any longer. Yes, I’m talking about Windows XP, but the same is true if you’re still driving a 1976 AMC Pacer.

When you get into this part of the cycle, you might be forced to move on. But you have a lot of options when you decide to do so — and they might not be the options that the manufacturer recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    Better idea #2: Get a Mac
    Stopped reading right there.

"I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

My office will use XP until the pc's fucking blow up

Windows XP is the greatest operating system of all time. It's a shame they stop supporting it. Vista, 7 and 8 are all garbage in comparison.

i like windows 7 pretty simple like xp with a little more looks and practically the same as Xp

plus im rolling with 192 gigs of of ram...processing film is nothing for me

vista was shit...and windows 8 is the worst of them all but you can rol with 512 gigs of ram...

now I express the amount of ram each can use as that is the most important for me with the applications I use.

Now Xp will only be good for computers that are stand alone meaning non web based..

If your still rolling on xp you shit will get hacked in no time...taking all your passes and credit card info will be easy. I can prob do it if I want but I dont hack I did back in the day getting folks to install a program that lets me see what they are doing an it also logged in all the shit they typed. I had the power to turn on and off there computers turn on there web cams install and uninstall shit...basically i was in full control like a ninja undiscovered

You def got to watch out .... if your using xp and on the web...hackers will be going after any one with xp since every thing will be wide open

P.S. newer programs on the market will also drop the support for xp
    Last edited by 100pr00f; 03-30-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    No offense but given you have a very poor understanding of the difference between gigabytes & megabytes and the amount of ram your typical consumer PC supports.. I find it absurd that you actually attempt to indentify yourself as a former hacker.

Installing a key logger or a piece of commonly distributed malware on someone's machine isn't the same as remotely compromising vulnerable ports and or writing something in assembly to expoit a buffer in a program, which in return can allow you to grant yourself root privileges to someone's box.

UHHHHH I know the difference. I have 192 GIG of ram installed in a supermicro motherboard As I am using Windows 7 ultimate and a Home built computer, Now only programs that run on 64 bit can use all 196 gigs of ram and of course the programs that only supprot x86(32 bit) can only run 8 gigs of that ram. Also spending money on a consumer computer is the biggest wast of money that also has bloated software and malware already installed.

as for installing software in others computer was easy and there was a Piece of software that had several applications so you can control ones computer that also had key logger and windows control software back in the AOL days. Now I dont know what go's on in today's computer age as I dont do it any more and never looked in on it or kept track of what it takes to those things any more

P.S. I run every thing off of servers ..my desktop has 32 gigs of ram...which is a ton for a desktop, my server can support up to 256 gigs of ram...all my heavy software runs off my server
    Last edited by 100pr00f; 03-30-2014 at 02:17 PM.

SHHHHEEEIIIIT Robbie just dun got outnerded!!!!

I think this might call for a RAM Rap Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    Lol wtf i must be out of touch w/ hardware these days. I knew some ppl who would install ram in the 18gb - 32gb range. Had no idea there was a recent jump to 192, let alone Windows supporting that much.

You really dropped 5K on that superMicro? http://www.stalliontek.com/supermicr...FeY-MgodwE0AXQ

Are you building your own personal IBM deep blue at home?

the board cost me $650 i dont know which one it was, but yea windows 8 supports over 500 gigs but of course if your running a network you can add as much as you want as you can add as many motherboards as you want. The ram is what costs

I run a home network that connects to every tv and computer in my house...I have about 9Tb of movies loaded on to the network and abut 1TB of music lol. But also use it to run Photoshop and other heavier programs like adobe premiere, that needs the power as rendering film takes a long time. also run home security. Its all personal use, and the cost wasn't that bad for me as i got hardware at a deep discount through trades and what not with a computer company

also again with the ram size, desktop computers dont need over 32 gigs right now. If your running everything I am cost wise a home network wold be better but of coruse you would still need to add good duel gfx cards and a good ssd drive to get your speed up there pretty high for work on film and photos, or animation

P.S. Hardware/software technology is being developed at a fast pace, the power increases double to triple yearly and soon it would be every 6 months and so forth

Intel wants to upgrade its processor every 6 months...right now they put out a new chip every year that out performs the last
    Last edited by 100pr00f; 03-30-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    I think this might call for a RAM Rap Battle.
    my rap crumbles god's dam//
    brains interlaced internally with modded ram//
    wit a full dump
    the memory intellect far proceeds alienware ...
    god damn//

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

--- Not dead yet: Dutch, British governments pay to keep Windows XP alive

Windows XP is supposed to be dead next week. But the Dutch and British governments have both inked deals with Microsoft to continue to keep it on life support, at least for them—under Microsoft’s Custom Support program.

On Wednesday, ComputerWeekly reported that the UK government agreed to pay Microsoft £5.548 million (approximately $9.1 million) for continued support of Windows XP, Office 2003, and Exchange 2003 for all British public sector customers. On Friday, the Dutch government cut its own “multi-million Euro” deal with Microsoft for custom XP support of over 30,000 computers still running the Windows XP operating system.

Those deals may be just a drop in the bucket in comparison to what the US government may have to pay for support of the hundreds of thousands of systems still running Windows XP and other end-of-life software. Despite years of foreknowledge of the end of support for the operating system, there are still a large number of systems running Windows XP within government, including computers on sensitive networks and embedded systems. Many hospitals in the US still use Windows XP on workstations and healthcare devices because software developers have not had their products certified by regulators for use with later versions of Windows.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...dows-xp-alive/

Veteran Member

Microsoft been making dumb moves for a long while.