Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satanists to put statue next to Ten Commandments monument at Oklahoma Statehouse

Default Satanists to put statue next to Ten Commandments monument at Oklahoma Statehouse

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse steps.

The Republican-controlled Legislature in this state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt authorized the privately funded Ten Commandments monument in 2009, and it was placed on the Capitol grounds last year despite criticism from legal experts who questioned its constitutionality. The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit seeking its removal.

But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.

"We believe that all monuments should be in good taste and consistent with community standards," Greaves wrote in letter to state officials. "Our proposed monument, as an homage to the historic/literary Satan, will certainly abide by these guidelines."

Greaves said one potential design involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children. He said he expects the monument, if approved by Oklahoma officials, would cost about $20,000.

Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, who spearheaded the push for the Ten Commandments monument and whose family helped pay the $10,000 for its construction, declined to comment on the Satanic Temple's effort, but Greaves credited Ritze for opening the door to the group's proposal.

"He's helping a satanic agenda grow more than any of us possibly could," Greaves said. "You don't walk around and see too many satanic temples around, but when you open the door to public spaces for us, that's when you're going to see us."

The Oklahoma Legislature has taken other steps that many believe blur the line that divides church and state. The House speaker said he wants to build a chapel inside the Capitol to celebrate Oklahoma's "Judeo-Christian heritage." Several lawmakers have said they want to allow nativity scenes and other religious-themed symbols in public schools.

Rep. Bobby Cleveland, who plans to introduce a one such bill next year, said many Christians feel they are under attack as a result of political correctness. He dismissed the notion of Satanists erecting a monument at the Capitol.

"I think these Satanists are a different group," Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, said. "You put them under the nut category."

Brady Henderson, legal director for ACLU Oklahoma, said if state officials allow one type of religious expression, they must allow alternative forms of expression, although he said a better solution might be to allow none at all on state property.

"We would prefer to see Oklahoma's government officials work to faithfully serve our communities and improve the lives of Oklahomans instead of erecting granite monuments to show us all how righteous they are," Henderson said. "But if the Ten Commandments, with its overtly Christian message, is allowed to stay at the Capitol, the Satanic Temple's proposed monument cannot be rejected because of its different religious viewpoint."

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    Henderson said. "But if the Ten Commandments, with its overtly Christian message, is allowed to stay at the Capitol, the Satanic Temple's proposed monument cannot be rejected because of its different religious viewpoint."
    He has a point, Satanists are no worse than anyone else who follows any other type of religion

Quote Originally Posted by hashashin View Post
    He has a point, Satanists are no worse than anyone else who follows any other type of religion
    Exactly.

If anyone is against it, they're insinuating that their beliefs are more superior. I can create my own religion right now and it would have just as much rights to be up there, as well. There's no number one, definite, true religion. Even though I don't condone religion and are mostly on the "no" side of the existence of deities, everyone has the right to believe what they want.
    Last edited by APOLLO STASH; 12-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.

- Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma

I'm not saying this just cause I'm a Christian... but this is bullshit. Why do they have to have the statue in that particular spot? Just because there's a Christian monument there and they feel left out? NewsFlash Satanists... There's SHIT LOADS of places where there are only Christian monuments, images, symbols etc. Are you gonna slap a statue next to all of those too? You don't see Christians bitchin' and trying to plant a cross next to all your... Satan stuff(?) Get over yourselves. This is just about as annoying as they gays still whining about equal rights when they've whined their way into everything already.
    http://i.imgur.com/GdghXmu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Killa BB View Post
    I'm not saying this just cause I'm a Christian... but this is bullshit. Why do they have to have the statue in that particular spot? Just because there's a Christian monument there and they feel left out? NewsFlash Satanists... There's SHIT LOADS of places where there are only Christian monuments, images, symbols etc. Are you gonna slap a statue next to all of those too? You don't see Christians bitchin' and trying to plant a cross next to all your... Satan stuff(?) Get over yourselves. This is just about as annoying as they gays still whining about equal rights when they've whined their way into everything already.
    Is their own quote or a ridiculous quote from Fox News?

It's mine, but they can use it.

I don't know of many groups in the US that are bigger whiners than Christians.

i believe they want to put it there for the same reason the other monument is there. not cuz they're bitter. it's open to the public and other religions. so look at it through their eyes. why not? they just want to express their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLO STASH View Post
    i believe they want to put it there for the same reason the other monument is there. not cuz they're bitter. it's open to the public and other religions. so look at it through their eyes. why not? they just want to express their beliefs.
    Then why did they never think to put it there before. The commandments monument was there for like ever before this stunt. And why RIGHT there? They can express their beliefs anywhere they want, and they pick THAT spot? There's hella space in that town to put it elsewhere, I'm sure. And they can believe what they wanna believe, of course... but I don't believe in being obnoxious... which is all they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    I don't know of many groups in the US that are bigger whiners than Christians.
    Yes you do. lol

Yes you do. lol
    Maybe Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

Then why did they never think to put it there before. The commandments monument was there for like ever before this stunt. And why RIGHT there? They can express their beliefs anywhere they want, and they pick THAT spot? There's hella space in that town to put it elsewhere, I'm sure. And they can believe what they wanna believe, of course... but I don't believe in being obnoxious... which is all they are doing.
    that particular Satanist group started up in 2013, while that Ten Commandment monument has been there forever. forever meaning 2012? the year the monument was placed? the state said they want to turn it into a monument park where others would be added. so again, why not? seems like they're RSVPing.

but now all these other groups now are following the Satanists. if it's gonna be a park with a whole bunch of other monuments, they would actually stand out more somewhere else in my opinion.