Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your problem with the Grandmasters album?

Veteran Member mic-cord-strangler's Avatar

Default Re: your problem with the Grandmasters album?

that i dont have it yet
    1st king

Quote Originally Posted by pep
    luv the joint, I was doin think differently real heavy and was kinda sleepin on the joint cause alot of it had been leaked....but once I popped it in the trusty cd thing thing couldn't get enough of it....unprotected pieces takes me back to gold......GZA is the man..we need another wu album....and it better have golden arms bobby!!!!!!!!
    co-sign

Gza needs a better flow and delivery. some of the songs werent mastered well and it gets somewhat difficult to hear the lyrics. other than that i have no problem with this album.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Veteran Member

I Think The Album Is Very Good I Played It Like A Week Straight But I Dont Know It Kinda Lost It's Replay Value For Me I Dont Know If It's Cause I Played The Shit Out Of It Or It Just Lacks That Quality.

short...

The main complaint I have with the album is the mixing. The audio levels of GZA's voice are very low compared to the "minimal" beats Muggs devised to hear GZA's lyrics. I can't get into some of the songs b/c of this problem. Some of the beats blended together too much and it could've used a little bit more variety production wise. Otherwise, a very good album.

i like vocals in the background. i know what you mean about the production blending together. there were a lot of beats with the same sort of guitar pattern. bink -- bink bink, bink bink, bink bink.

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

i cant believe yall dont like muggs beats...i didn't see them as minimal at all, though some of them aren't overly special on purpose...stilll, i like pretty much all the beats. it takes me back to how RZA used to produce...destruction of a guard, exploitation of mistakes, advance pawns, queen gambit...production is stellar to me.
    i understand the gripes with GZA's flow, but i think it actually fits the grimy ambience provided by Muggs...he almost has developed a smoky, husky baritone that suits his tracks well, almost like an evolution has occured from his old style...it does have a tendency to become prosaic if you dont pay attention, but if you listen to his lyrics and the intricacies of muggs' beats, then you should be pleased.
    "all your San Franciscos will eventually fall and burn again..." -Jack Kerouac-

NUH!

this album right here.... yo... there is somethin wrong wit it... gza has tight lyrics but the flow and delivery is jus not there.... very boring and monotone... same with the beats, very repetitive and not much variety, no change ups.
    i mean i can listen to it and i dont think its terrible but its not what i look for in an album.
    all you all you dye is this shit right hea
    be like.. BLUE N CREAM

Veteran Member

i cant belive so many people arnt feeling it that much. i think its the best album i have heard in agesssssssss

it seems like if a wu album didnt come out in 93-97 then the fans will never be happy

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

gza is the greatest. needed rza production though but hell the album better than i expected. gza has never dissapointed me with his albums
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

I have no problems with this album whatsoever. To me it sounds just fine and it is what it is at the end of the day - a low budget indie release. 9/10 for me and I wouldn't change it in the least. The flow isn't as good but then Gza seems to be making tracks that are quite sombre and low so for me he gets away with the weaker flow.

What I would say however is that this album to be does not even come close to LS where Gza's flow was much better and his lyrics plus the beats made him much more menacing. And Beneath the Surface to me is miles ahead of this too for the same reason.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

I have a problem with the production. Too repetitive IMO. But it still way above today's standarts.
    F.L.I.N.T.