Thread: Nigeria ranked as the most homophobic country and Spain the least homophobic, in poll

Default Nigeria ranked as the most homophobic country and Spain the least homophobic, in poll

I notice its a lot of dark skinned people.

I think its because of population growth and spread. Generally larger populations became scientific as they had a pool of minds to compare theories with.

Traditionally smaller populations, where culture barely changes over a hundred or so years aren't educated enough to make sense of these things so they blame it on the boogeyman. You can even use America as an example; i bet most of the people that said no came from small towns and not big cities.

Edit: This theory doesn't work unless i can think of a disclaimer for China and India. White culture is obviously better, it doesn't just apply to gays, but pretty much its better for everyone. Why are all these countries shitholes? Anybody have an explanation thats not racist?!

Veteran Member

Maybe it has to do with geography and the trading of ideas and technologies and sciences and lessons learned along the way why the west is the way it is and why those who did not take part of that because of their geography are the way they are.

Look at northern africa (egypt) and the ocean in between them and europe on the other side (greece, spain, etc,) with india not too far and iran (persia). They've been sharing ideas and interacting for thousands of yrs, while those other african countries remained stagnant and secluded. The west does not mix mysticism with their sciences while most of the others did which was why they are not in the forefront on the world stage.

Yeah thats a good point. I think also China and India have a lot of cultural taboos that come from religion and their harsh forms of government which makes them less liberal and when its that much ingrained in the culture of billions of people its difficult to go against.

Veteran Member

Makes sense.

{>____<}

These polls aren't surprising at all. You'd think that all the religion that's across the globe, people'll not be accepting of gays but they are. People will be who they are and there's nothing no one to stop that from occurring.

In terms of technology, trading, business and social norms, you guys are corrects. The Western world is behind the times. 2014 doesn't apply everywhere on Earth. Some remain stagnant in terms of a country's development and direction.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    I notice its a lot of dark skinned people.

I think its because of population growth and spread. Generally larger populations became scientific as they had a pool of minds to compare theories with.

Traditionally smaller populations, where culture barely changes over a hundred or so years aren't educated enough to make sense of these things so they blame it on the boogeyman. You can even use America as an example; i bet most of the people that said no came from small towns and not big cities.
    Nigeria is the 8th largest country in world in population, and will have more people than the US in 15 years. You failed

The ABBOTT

nigeria fails

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Food For Thought, i don't even pay you any attention because i know you're a retard.

It's globalization. I think and have seen the effects of globalization. In the west we think it's going to make everyone a white european culturally mentally and politically but that's not the reality at all. As culture come closer, they realize the differenced between each other and become militant in defending those differences because it becomes their identity. Homophobia spiked in africa at the same pace gay acceptance spiked in the west, and religiosity spiked in the muslim world at the space pace and time as secularism and atheism spiked in western society.

Nigerians and other africans are staunchly against homosexuality. This goes from the most to the least educated person. It's honestly not going to change because becoming the west isn't anyone's goal in all honesty.

Homosexuality is acceptable most in societies with a history of minority oppression. The cultures that are keen to it has dealt with genocide, slavery, segregation and racial war. As much as africa gets bad press for conflict, it's over 2000 cultures and 4 fights. Europe was around 40 cultures and 2000 years of constant fighting and tribal lines.

The gay rights movement developed a strategy to benefit from the wavy of minority liberation and humanization movements in the 60s and the 70s by branding 'gay' as an identity. As oppressive majorities began giving rights to oppressed minorities, and things like WWII made persecution and conservatism ugly, barring a group of people from something based on their identity became taboo in these countries that went through the trauma of the early 20th century. This is why South Africa is alone in Africa for being gay friendly.

Countries like China, India and Nigeria didn't share this history. Everyone suffered the same. The Chinese have never had to question the way they treat minorities because they themselves have been treated like shit by other chinese people for a long time. India has a caste system and is a very racist country, but it still hasn't had to face a traumatic event that calls it all into question. Nigeria is a rivalry of ethnic nations, none of which can boost of every dominating the others at any point. One my control the military while the other controls the economy and the other controls the government and the wrestle for more but there has never been an oppressor. Colonialists weren't what they're painted to be at all, especially in nigeria, so that doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Nigeria is the 8th largest country in world in population, and will have more people than the US in 15 years. You failed
    I know i was just theorizing off the top of my head. Diggy made a good point, and like i said too; population spread. Also i think there are more big cities in europe where different people interacted, whereas a lot of african groups historically stayed with their own and didn't mix with other groups of africans. So my theory kind of works maybe in terms of population density and also culture and other factors.

Africa also has droughts and deserts and a lack of the resources that europeans used to build their civilizations. Makes you wonder why several thousand years ago some humans left Africa and some stayed. I guess shit wasn't as fucked up there at that point. I think slavery also had a pretty negative effect on Africa in the last 400 years.

Anyway i googled that statistic and thats by 36 years, not 15. But all bets are off as to whats really going to happen in the world during that time period.

Slavery had a negative effect i agree on that. I don't want to sound clique, but Africa had cities where people intermingled as well. As far as Nigeria goes I can think of Ibadan, Benin, Sokoto, and Kano, which were and still are larger than most european cities. The levels of diversity in europe can't match what's seen in africa. Nigeria has 250 different cultures. They speak different languages, dress differently, have different religions (traditionally), eat different food, sit down different, different forms of government etc etc. The diversity in europe stops at language honestly and most european languages have similarities (western europe). If the whole of europe was in africa it would be considered the same tribe.

Also the drought thing is in isolated places/cases, and it's difficult to find a whether condition that effects the continent as a whole, so i would say that wouldn't effect a continent wide opinion. It makes the US news when it happens, so that's all americans know but they've been using the exact same 'dollar a day' commericial since the late 80s and nobody has ever questioned that. At the moment the biggest issues in Africa are unemployment, institutions that don't work, lack of government transparency, single commodity economies, ethnic tensions and break neck urbanization where cities can't keep up with the influx.

There are 18 million people in the city of Lagos, 10,000 added every day, from all the cultures in the world, but they all still (except the westerners) hate homosexuality. At all income levels, all levels of education, all levels of exposure to different peoples.

Homosexuality made in roads in the west because a history of minority oppression lead to a period of minority liberation that the gay rights movement was born into. If you pay attention to Harvey Milk's movement, you realize that there was a deliberate strategy to turn homosexuality from a perversion to an identity. A city (san fran), a flag, cultural events (parades), cultural institutions (organizations, clubs etc), because at that time if you could call it your identity american/western society had to stop oppressing you because of it.

None of this happened outside of the west or countries highly connected to the west and that's they places like Russia, China, India and the entire african continent except South Africa which went through a majority oppression and apologetic legislation phase with the whole apartheid issue. These countries haven't gone through the 're-branding' of homosexuality and thus still see it as a perversion. They have also had no reason to feel apologetic about oppressing people because of their identity because they don't have that history.

and europe advanced past africa and the world because it's the most open minded part of the world. You're not going to get fought or laughed at for bringing a new idea forward. It's was the only place in the world where this was a norm. That's why the Renaissance and Enlightenment are so important and the effects are still felt today. Europe opened it's mind and everyone else kept their closed.

Africa has the resources to develop and then some. Though starvation is sold as 'the problem in africa', there's food everywhere, that's a myth. You don't have to be ingenious or innovative to eat. If you walk outside, everything you enjoy eating is growing in abundance. The industrial revolution started in england because england ran out of land to farm and had to think of ways to make money with what little they had, which at the time was sheep.

im Igbo, every igbo man woman and child is going to inherit land, a lot of it and there's 35-40 million of us. Fulani, who are nomads are each going to inherit an average of 150 cows per regular person and more if they're rich and there's 20 million of them. In these conditions you're never challenged to think beyond maintaining the status quo.

The chinese were the #1 civilization in the world for thousands of years. We overrate the romans and greeks because history was eventually written by the winners (whites), but China was shitting on them the whole time. When they encountered the west, they had not reason to adopt their ways and learning because they couldn't imagine anything being better than the middle kingdom.

The japanese on the other hand were running out of land, and had always been right next to a superior civilization so it knew there was room for improvement in all things. Of all of the world's none western societies, it was only the japanese that were able to put things in perspective.

When african met whites, they felt that whites had 'a lot of really cool shit' but they weren't in 'need' of anything beyond what they already had.

Now that the tables have been turned, the results are infront of us. The average african checks development news. It makes headlines there, in the US we don't even consider it news because we feel that 'this is as good as it gets'. this is the same with india and other developing countries. They want to know where things are being built and how. They've flooded institutions of learning and many have a plan of what they can add to their country when they go back if they go back.

As can be seen by the stats above, the open mindedness that help europe and america advance still isn't happening so a lot of it is what i call hollow development where things are built but never advanced until the west advances on it.