Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop is just as good now as it was in the late 90s

Default Hip Hop is just as good now as it was in the late 90s

I would say the early 90s is better than now (90-94) but right now is better that 95-2000) and definitely better than the epic shit era (2001-2011)

everything has really evolved. Labels have been defeated, rappers are now more multi-faceted and human than they've ever been, there's a market for any and everyone that's willing to be different, lyrics are back full force and i would say in many cases are at an all time high, and being a talented artistic rapper is not adverse to being commercially viable. Production and video quality are at an all time high, i would say probably because there's more room for uniqueness than ever before.

Plus rappers that keep trying to act hard have been exposed as jokes and the overt machismo of the 90s that killed the 80s hip hop culture has been balanced out with a sense of perspective.

'

An all time high

AHHAHAA! Reece is the shit dude lol

I want to change my statement, it's better than the late 90s cause i remember the late 90s was the 3 good song per album era and everyone's video was corny AF. Damn. Hiphop has been off since 96.

lol reece looks like Juelz Santana if Juelz Santana were obsessed with finding the Ring

'

Looks more like Juelz crossbred with a giraffe and a fucking creepy puberty mustache

he does have that earthworm jim somalian neck.

Lol. Sometimes I agree with you TSA, but really have to disagree here.

This is the shittiest era for me personally in hiphop. Even though hiphop mainstream has been garbage for the most part since 98, there were still lots of dope underground releases up until 07. At this moment underground hiphop is just as shit as mainstream, but purists are in denial. Is there actually any one out there that has a favorite hiphop album in the last 5 years?

The ABBOTT

This is my feeling on the eras.

80s - lots of classics towards the end
    90s - lots of classics slowing down towards 2000
    00s - an absolute drought compared to the last 2 decades, i lost interest with most new hip hop about 2004 and only got back into it in 2010.
    10s - lots of classics so far

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyDrummer View Post
    Is there actually any one out there that has a favorite hiphop album in the last 5 years?

lol

'

Its all about leggings and assault rifles in 2014.

Zubaz comeback?

Are they fruit of the loom sweatpants?

Wu Vatican

ill agree that this last couple years is far superior to the 00s. but i was say hip hop was still pretty good until the late 90s.

no.1 case in point.....dmx had multiple RADIO HITS off of the CLASSIC hardbody Its Dark and Hell is Hot.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyDrummer View Post
    Lol. Sometimes I agree with you TSA, but really have to disagree here.

This is the shittiest era for me personally in hiphop. Even though hiphop mainstream has been garbage for the most part since 98, there were still lots of dope underground releases up until 07. At this moment underground hiphop is just as shit as mainstream, but purists are in denial. Is there actually any one out there that has a favorite hiphop album in the last 5 years?

You have to take in consideration that our own hormone configurations have changed and thus rap just isn't the same type of exciting for us as it is for younger people, but rappers are dropping 32 bar songs as singles now with no chorus, things have really changed.

2013 has a lot of great albums. I really liked Action Bronsons Blue Chips, and Big Sean's album was surprisingly really good. Then there was Trap Lord, which i guess this bored oddly enough doesn't like, but is very entertaining and the songs are excellent. Magna Carta was great (one of jay-z best ever and my favorite album of his). Drake was the only disappointment because people are realizing this whole psuedo gay guy thing isn't a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    This is my feeling on the eras.

80s - lots of classics towards the end
    90s - lots of classics slowing down towards 2000
    00s - an absolute drought compared to the last 2 decades, i lost interest with most new hip hop about 2004 and only got back into it in 2010.
    10s - lots of classics so far

i agree

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    Its all about leggings and assault rifles in 2014.

LOL. The good thing about hip hip now is 'the hood' isn't dominate, and thus everyone isn't subject to their attempts to express their homosexuality in coy ways. I don't think that's any gayer than sagging, declaring over and over that you don't love women, and rapping about fucking women right after a friend finished with her or vice versa. Or 90s rappers infatuation with prison, or tupac.

There's been more perspective added to the game, which helps people realize how ridiculous 'the hood' is'.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    ill agree that this last couple years is far superior to the 00s. but i was say hip hop was still pretty good until the late 90s.

no.1 case in point.....dmx had multiple RADIO HITS off of the CLASSIC hardbody Its Dark and Hell is Hot.
    late 90s imo was pretty much ass. It was the era of good single shit album. That's why everyone on here's favorite rapper has a shitty sophomore album.
    I think the golden era killed hip hop. Too many really good acts coming out at the same time, naturally they'll all fizzle at the exact same time and they were so good to begin with that the industry become dependent on them and didn't know how to look for new talent or develop it.

This era broke the jinx because the democratizing effect the internet has on content consumption creates a situation where the industry can't push duds on your to experiment. the late 90s and 2000s was full of dud. People completely created by the industry in hopes of capitalizing on someone elses' star (Chingy and Jkwon off Nelly for example)