Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hip Hop in 2003 WAS. NOT. FUCKING. AROUND. WITH. DIRTY TEETH

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    yeah, easily one of the worst years and eras in hip hop history
    The Rest is History

Last edited by madchild; 03-01-2014 at 02:22 PM.

PRODIGAL SUN

No love for Stoupe in this thread in '03 and '04.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    lol @ some of the albums named
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbongcilvaringz View Post
    yes, strikingly mediocre list apart from a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    yeah, easily one of the worst years and eras in hip hop history
    Yeah, shitty list and a really shitty year for hip-hop.

2010 and 2012 were two of the best years in recent memories, the mid 2000's were by far the worst for hip-hop

Banned

Lmao what a fucking trash list

Lol @ naming grand champ, shit cunt
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

How is this list trash? Lol. Cause Underground shit was popping around that time? No.
    2003-2004 were the last good years for hip-hop.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Now that you mention it, this is around the time that underground became a genre as opposed to a condition. We literally gave the word Underground to Juggalos and didn't get it back till 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    Yeah, shitty list and a really shitty year for hip-hop.

2010 and 2012 were two of the best years in recent memories, the mid 2000's were by far the worst for hip-hop
    ^100%

I went to highschool in those years and hip hop was such shit that I, easily the biggest hip hop fan in the whole county, stopped listening to that shit until up to date. You can list all these mediocre albums but I remember for sure that this was the era where there with 200 battle rappers that all sounded the exact same (like cassidy) and everyone else had a song with 'the club' in the title.

This was also the time that angry faggots from trailer parks took over 'real hip hop' and all of their songs were 'let me tell you about hip hop, hip hop is cool, galactics asteroids and zoos, we hate successful people, duh government, philosophy philosophy'

literally every song was set in 'the club'. It was cartoonish at best. I remember it was only Dipset that kept me interested in the genre as a whole. 50 grew on me (no homo) but everything else was butt

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost In The 'Lac View Post
    Lol not even close. SS II? Grind Date? New Danger? Come on son.

Only album from ones you mentioned is Madvill. Of course a goat. College drop too.
    Those are some solid albums kid
    Non Ignorants

RIP

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

lmao at people trying to act like Speakerboxx wasn't 20,000 dre wigs better than anything since

im betting a shrimp that most of the 2012 hip hop fans never even listened to Da Unbreakables

WON'T EVEN GO INTO HOW MUCH HEATMAKERZ WERE KILLING SHIT IN THIS YEAR BRO

won't EVEN GO INTO THAT bro

i agree with all that, and btw i am one of the chosen ones who listened to 36 mafia and dipset (along with millions of others), but if you want to look at consensus opinion amongst hip hop listeners, the stuff you named is all over the place. most people here can probably get behind half the albums you listed, but the rest are just personal favourites of your's or something.

i can pick out any year and name 15 albums i thought were great, but i'm not operating under the illusion that anyone else would think so. for instance, speakerbooxx might be awesome to you, but to a lot of people it was a disappointment i think. stuff like BOAP, escape from monsta island, neptunes clones, boy in da corner etc. are arguably good, but the consensus would be that their average or somewhere near that.

the delineation between eras and years within music is just some bullshit to talk about on a wu tang forum (nothing wrong with that). personally, i don't subscribed to the idea that hip hop has gone through lulls or depressions or was ever "dead". there is always good music out there, usually preferences for time periods are born out of the level of engagement the listener had during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbongcilvaringz View Post
    i agree with all that, and btw i am one of the chosen ones who listened to 36 mafia and dipset (along with millions of others), but if you want to look at consensus opinion amongst hip hop listeners, the stuff you named is all over the place. most people here can probably get behind half the albums you listed, but the rest are just personal favourites of your's or something.

i can pick out any year and name 15 albums i thought were great, but i'm not operating under the illusion that anyone else would think so. for instance, speakerbooxx might be awesome to you, but to a lot of people it was a disappointment i think. stuff like BOAP, escape from monsta island, neptunes clones, boy in da corner etc. are arguably good, but the consensus would be that their average or somewhere near that.

the delineation between eras and years within music is just some bullshit to talk about on a wu tang forum (nothing wrong with that). personally, i don't subscribed to the idea that hip hop has gone through lulls or depressions or was ever "dead". there is always good music out there, usually preferences for time periods are born out of the level of engagement the listener had during that time.
    Some on that list I don't give a shit about but others do. Dipset coming out was crazy. Outkast coming out was crazy. Black album was crazy (again Just Blaze was also crazy at this time still) even though I wasn't completely into it when it dropped in years followed I realised how good it was.

So if you ddrop the others and just take the big 3 from that year no year in the decade SINCE has matched those three big albums in one year.

Then as for the also rans of 03 Dilla/Madlib did an album, Dilla did Vintage 2 both near classic, DOOM came out with a couple of incredible albums warning us of what to come, Missy was still around, Freeway finally did his album (and it was dope), and 9th Wonder produced The Listening and even though I', not a huge fan of that album I can appreciate it's massive influence . And then of course Dizzee Rascal made probably the best/most important UK rap album ever.

So yeah, good year, and the last @great£ year in hip hop history, up and down.