Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any business owners?

Default Any business owners?

Just wanted to build with the gay gods on business.
    I know Style does Bingenow, skampoe and jigsaw do music, and Art Vandelay lets teenagers masterbate to his moist voice feminine voice, so i'm interested to hear some stories

www.majeofficial.com
    www.majeofficial.com
    www.majeofficial.com

the biggest thing I've been dealing with is just learning. As 'abundant' as information is now, i feel like learning as a tradition has been really compromised thanks to baby boomers.

I would have preferred to have someone take me under their wing and learn from the ground level before going into things. Most books, editorials, etc etc have great information and i've read my life off, but I've also come to realize there's a great deal of self branding that occurs when someone is about to jump ship on a brand by either selling it consolidating or folding that inclines him or her to write a shitty book full of asinine nonsense and common sense so that they can make it to the board of companies with more credentials like that faggot Steve Stout.

anyways, I've been struggling to build a team. Primarily because I started trying to build a team when it wasn't necessary. I think it's with this generation but everyone has to really be their own company. Do you own marketing, advertising, content creation, etc etc. It's great that the tools are available but most of the time I had to learn it the hard way. I started seeking out someone to design the site. I came to learn site designers and programmers are very ridiculous people and are often lazy. Also I made the mistake of thinking someone can recreate something I'm still creating in my head. Wasted a lot of money chasing that mistake

So I pulled back, bought 2 books and a disc and started teaching myself C++. Now did I know C++ wasn't necessary, especially at this point, nope, but I'm very glad I did it. While learning C++ and asking a friend of mine for pointers and explainations on stuff I discovered that I should scale down everything I want to do, start small and ghetto and move up as opposed to coming out grand and crashing.

So I got on Wix, i didn't know that they don't allow you to use or buy your own source code, crafted up the site, and now I'm really pissed to learn that i'm stuck. Mind you I already have a paid account with Amazon. Womp womp fucking womp.

I have a team but they listen to me too much and have little to no ability to contribute independently. It's like if you're cleaning a room, you can't just tell them to clean the room, you have to tell them to pick up every single item one by one and where to put it and after every item everyone expects applause. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head and have given them the exit option but they really believe in the project so i'm learning how to make that particular personality type work with my own personality and expectations. I've learned to be more patient and hands on. I don't like ordering people around but I can give orders. If there's an issue and someone is working with me I would prefer to tell them there's an issue and it needs to be solved and watch them with their own time and creativity solve it Instead I have to tell them how to solve it and when, so it's as adjustment. Let me add the fact that they're female so this is normal, but they do have incredible talents once you figure out how to encourage them.

Originally I was trying to build a team on some nice guy shit, but they started thinking it was a social club, so I dissolved that team and built a new one with less of the bullshit millennial 'team building' approaches I was wasting time reading about.

Also, I've noticed there's this 'young business' linkedin culture that's for lack of better words fucking queer lol. I'm looking for more opportunities to network and at two events i've been to i've met some really great people that have given me insight, but there are these linkedin type mother fuckers that are typically 24-26 and say gay shit like "Mobile is the future" "If you haven't monetized, you haven't strategized" "destructive concepts" and other really gay white things that imply their cell phones and facebook account and not that wad of money their parents gave them to fuck around and act like Steve Jobs (the godfather of these douches) isn't the only thing keeping them afloat. and that things like "kickstarter" are these brilliant man on the moon moments that we all need to fold up and eat our own ass over.

A lot of them will call themselves gay shit like 'software engineers' when they just make faggoty apps.

I feel like to objective of having your own business is to build the freedom to not have to be this breed of faggot but once you give someone a cardboard box full of cards they start recreating a microcosm of everything wrong with the world.

I only fuck with the small business men with hella pistols, silver, and satellite screenshots of various eastern european embassies.

then they always start with that gay ass "me and a couple of buddies just wanted a ______ that can _________. So one day we were in our garage" well if you'd get the fuck out of your garage you garage dwelling taint, you would have realized that there are 20 replicas of the concept you think you just made. Just be real. fag.

Banned

T$A, if you want to masturbate to my voice just dial 1-900-RAEKWON

Shit's mega real

Surveys and lots of them. Statistics can be misleading though.

BB on Learning:
    I often have the same issue because I'm an epic visionary. Most things I think up require a shitload of resources and manpower and are typically too big for other people to get on board with when I need help. This has lead to me learning to do a lot of shit on my own. And as a general rule of thumb, my "motto" has been LEARN TO DO IT YOURSELF AND YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. So I'm largely self taught on most things that I do well. This has allowed me to familiarize myself with almost every aspect of the game. This is both a plus and a negative for me. A plus because I like being able to do shit on my own and not have a bunch of other people to deal with and direct and answer to. A negative because even though I can do it all myself, I tend to burn out rather easily. So what I've learned (and what people are telling me repeatedly, lol) is that it is necessary to break my MEGA dreams down into MINI pieces. That way, when I need the help of others they will be more likely to get on board. And if I do need help, it's not so much help that it get's on my fucking nerves. lol

BB on Team Building:
    To avoid becoming a babysitter rather than a team leader, I always make it a point to only work with people I can learn from. When considering if I'm gonna team up with anyone I ask myself, what knowledge do I stand to gain from them? If it seems that there will at least be an even exchange of brain power when we work together, and they have a good grasp on the concept of initiative they're in. But if it seems like they will just be a total brain drain... they're out. Because personally I don't need very much direction and so I can't work well with people who need more direction than I do. (my kids exempt)

HOPE SOMETHING IN THERE WAS HELPFUL.
    http://i.imgur.com/GdghXmu.jpg

Banned

I was taught from the ground up and and worked in the biz my whole life. Experience is the best teacher. And a good accountant. Find the right people, delegate when you should. Pay your essential employees well because high turnover in key positions is a pain and finding good replacements takes time.

Knowledge never hurts. Learn all you can from everyone who can help than trust your own judgement.

Its not rocket science. Its just hard work but the payoff is greater and self motivation is always better than a screaming boss.

Banned

Also I find that basically there are 3 types of employees

1.) the self motivated guys that are most trustworthy and able think independently to finish a job. They are hungry but they know they are good and are going to want to be compensated for it otherwise they'll look elsewhere. Great employee at a higher price. Worth it if you can afford them and use whah they can offer the company. Possble partners.

2.) your consistent employee, always does his task but lacks a higher motivation. They will complain they want more but ultimately there is a ceiling to how hard they want to or can work for various reasons. Good employees that can be relied upon but they realize it not their company and wont necessarily be a "company man". Pay them fair, give them se perks.

3.) the employees that NEEDS to be told whT to do. Cannot think independently, doesnt want to, wants to come to work and go home. Employees who are only interested in playing a beta role are as necessary as the others but obviously they are more expendable. Pay market value. Dont overpay. Minor perks.

But then again every business is different. Its important your people respect you. More important than fear or awe of you. I think its easy if you set the exAmple properly, but getting the right people for you and your business is..... You cant really put a value on it.

In a way, you have a responsibility to them, but you dont want to get overly patriarchal so that they resent you for it or they take advantAge.

Its a fine line but, its a learning process.

^good stuff. I'm very limited on resources so my options are more slim. not much I can add

Quote Originally Posted by Killa BB View Post
    BB on Learning:
    I often have the same issue because I'm an epic visionary. Most things I think up require a shitload of resources and manpower and are typically too big for other people to get on board with when I need help. This has lead to me learning to do a lot of shit on my own. And as a general rule of thumb, my "motto" has been LEARN TO DO IT YOURSELF AND YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. So I'm largely self taught on most things that I do well. This has allowed me to familiarize myself with almost every aspect of the game. This is both a plus and a negative for me. A plus because I like being able to do shit on my own and not have a bunch of other people to deal with and direct and answer to. A negative because even though I can do it all myself, I tend to burn out rather easily. So what I've learned (and what people are telling me repeatedly, lol) is that it is necessary to break my MEGA dreams down into MINI pieces. That way, when I need the help of others they will be more likely to get on board. And if I do need help, it's not so much help that it get's on my fucking nerves. lol

BB on Team Building:
    To avoid becoming a babysitter rather than a team leader, I always make it a point to only work with people I can learn from. When considering if I'm gonna team up with anyone I ask myself, what knowledge do I stand to gain from them? If it seems that there will at least be an even exchange of brain power when we work together, and they have a good grasp on the concept of initiative they're in. But if it seems like they will just be a total brain drain... they're out. Because personally I don't need very much direction and so I can't work well with people who need more direction than I do. (my kids exempt)

HOPE SOMETHING IN THERE WAS HELPFUL.

Really good stuff, the epic visionary part is especially funny because you're dead serious.
    Last edited by TSA; 03-02-2014 at 05:00 PM.

i feel you on the building a team when its not ness. do that shit yourself until you CAN'T do it on your own. also strategic partnerships are a must. like i told you before, link your shit to bingenow we can share traffic and both eat. then look for other sites like mine and do the same. a small sampling of my anime vids are on every major vidshare site from 4chan to reddit to liveleak to youtube. i watermarked the vids with bingenow logo and web address and let em fly.
    my attitude has changed over the past year about trying to keep a stanglehold on my content. fuck that. let it go and market the brand of content you provide as opposed to the platform the content is on. so pump your nollywood vids and make sure they know where to find them but dont make majeofficial the focus of the branding. nollywood is the focus cause niggas dont give a fuck WHAT site its on. they wanna see the goods.

maaaaan you gotta get that twitter/insta/facebook game up. the game changed for me when my numbers got beastly i'm at 11.6k follows on twitter and now any video i drop gets about 8k views within a few hours. on youtube, with the help of Caper(CEO of darkstarz) my music vids are on fire. 105k views for the last drop. i'm shootin for a 1/4 a mill for my next one. but get those numbers up.

i dont think you ready for the next phase but as a heads up. find out a non-spam non-creepy way to collect user data. you'll need it to monetize your traffic when you blow up. you dont wanna have all this good traffic and not have a way to sell that demographic data to advertisers or to provide it to your content creators.

faggot

oh there's no doubt in my mind that we're going to work very closely with Bingenow, it's a necessity.

Part of the reason our content isn't on there yet is exactly what I'm talking about. I have someone responsible for social media but you can't tell her to seek out new platforms, you have to tell her specifically what platform to seek out and how. I would do it myself but I'm stretched thin AF and it's annoying.

But yeah, content is everything. After the Oscars we're dropping the stock pile
    Last edited by TSA; 03-02-2014 at 06:28 PM.

I'll Fuck You Up TeknicelStylez's Avatar

I'm a manager at a small company called Compliance Services. Commission is the only income and trying to get people to do things when they don't make money is a pain in the ass. Olive hit the nail on the head with the 3 employee types. I would categorize myself into number 1 since I have the most ability to complete any given task the company has to offer and the owners can kick their legs up when I'm around which is why I'm moving into a partner management position for the tristate area.

Relating to your frustrations I am currently stuck with a band of miscreants. Being that my bosses ermerged from the same environmental social circumstances as I did and my co workers they tend to give anybody a shot and I mean anybody. There's many days I feel like I'm the only person who is capable of doing anything autonomously in my job and it's annoying but I came to the realization that my ability to troubleshoot without much assistance, my extreme work drive, my understanding of opportunity and job knowledge is what put me ahead of everyone into my leadership position. My only advice to you is find that one star worker and download yourself into them, cloning yourself is key this way that person can replace you when you move on to the next level. Teach lessons and keep everybody on deck with a firm grasp on the bigger picture. Delegation is obviously key and it's even smart to delegate delegating have a person solely in charge of making sure everyone stays on task. Create paperwork and daily reports so you can have a visual understanding of the days productivity see what areas you're lacking in and trim the fat. From a managers perspective it's all patience at the end of the day.

Big Pimpin Power Ranger Slappin Hoes Since 1986

DickyGouch had it right on the 3 types. The issue is you can't turn on into another.