Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do White People want be Native Americans?

'

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLO STASH View Post
    Unity doesn't come from everyone being the same. It comes from everyone accepting the differences.
    That sort of sounds like a cliche statement you'd hear from a liberal sociology professor. We can't say for sure what would happen if humans abandoned their cultural identities. Which is why it be interesting to run an experiment w/ 2 islands, two groups of people who are all diverse and they have to rebuild civilization on a micro scale. One group retains & the other discards their culture. Also they have to flip a coin to see who gets a skampoe in their village.

Non Ignorant Math Team

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    That sort of sounds like a cliche statement you'd hear from a liberal sociology professor. We can't say for sure what would happen if humans abandoned their cultural identities. Which is why it be interesting to run an experiment w/ 2 islands, two groups of people who are all diverse and they have to rebuild civilization on a micro scale. One group retains & the other discards their culture. Also they have to flip a coin to see who gets a skampoe in their village.
    I think each island would just form their own cultural identity over time.

NON-IGS

'

Well yea thats inevitable for the group that discarded their former cultural identities..

The end goal though is to study if whether human societies truly prosper with a fragmented cultural landscape or if it's really just wishful thinking.

maybe it sounds cliche because it's simple and straight to the point. i'm not with you or against you.

there's an innumerable amount of cultures out there with many different people that are part of them. it's impossible for strip this planet of culture and i highly believe you can't prevent it from happening again if you start fresh.

so being that we currently live in this culture filled planet, we might as well learn to unite through accepting other people's preferences. doesn't mean you have to, and you don't have to take part in any one else's culture...but if you wanna be a highly effective, interdependent being, why not accept their inevitable differences and build on it?

Non Ignorant Math Team

Well yea thats inevitable for the group that discarded their former cultural identities..

The end goal though is to study if whether human societies truly prosper with a fragmented cultural landscape or if it's really just wishful thinking.
    yeah ok but I think even the island that retains their cultural identities will just form a new one. they'll just get rid of difference in opinions through bullshit, like in 1978 when the Mormons got rid of racist practises because apparently god told them to.

suppose itll take a long time for this island to form 1 cohesive culture though (well past the lifetime of the islanders).

then again maybe fights will break out or some people will just go to different parts of the island and not communicate.

it depends on how accepting their beliefs are.

its interesting.

NON-IGS

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

School sued Native parents for speaking out against school's offensive thanks giving program.

http://www.indianz.com/News/2014/013399.asp

Banned

all of this belonging to a certain culture because you have some ancestral blood running through your veins is bullshit.

i remember sunnywinters once complaining that the white man stole his ancestors farming techniques. sunny winters couldn't fucking grow a tulip if he wanted to. he lives in nyc and never fucking did any farming in his life.

warpath, you're indian ancestry is bullshit. you couldn't kill a buffalo, gut it, cook it's flesh, use its hide for clothing or make an arrow head out of rock no more than i can do impeccable cement work or build a fancy sports car becuase of my italian ancestry.

anybody who celebrates their heritage with parades or reenactments or whatever, is a douche bag.

yes, of course, learn about your background. you should do that. as you should about other cultures.

but what about the black man stealing the white man's culture????

yeah, doesn't this all seem ridiculous now.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    all of this belonging to a certain culture because you have some ancestral blood running through your veins is bullshit.

i remember sunnywinters once complaining that the white man stole his ancestors farming techniques. sunny winters couldn't fucking grow a tulip if he wanted to. he lives in nyc and never fucking did any farming in his life.

warpath, you're indian ancestry is bullshit. you couldn't kill a buffalo, gut it, cook it's flesh, use its hide for clothing or make an arrow head out of rock no more than i can do impeccable cement work or build a fancy sports car becuase of my italian ancestry.
    I could run down a buffalo in the state park, kill it, have my wife gut it and cook it and make clothes. But we would use modern tools. Point being the knowledge there isn't lost, it's just easier today. And actually, I know people that prepare hides and sell them to tourists. You interested?

Nah, I get my buffalo in the grocery store.

So what were you trying to say?

Oh wait you were proving my point about ignorance.

the family and the school are both assholes. the girl is very young and she comes home with the flier saying "they're trying to make fun of us at school". a girl that young wouldn't have came up with that unless the parents feed her a bunch centuries old white-hate shit. why would anyone organize an event to deliberately make fun of another race? it's just a fun event for children. calm the fuck down. maybe the real thanksgiving didn't go down the same way as how kids are taught in school. let them believe it while they're still kids and still luckily have their worry-free period of their lives.
    people have to remember that this isn't really a big deal...

...and the school is a bunch of douchebags for making the situation such a big deal and for suing the family for that much money over freedom of speech.

this all can be handled in a totally different way. people are such bitches nowadays that conflicts are always immediately turned over to the court. people don't have the decency to settle problems with civility. there's always enough to go around. it doesn't always have to be someone getting fucked over and the other one laughing down at them. look for a win/win solution.

the family could have just proactively approached the event organizers and volunteered to help take part in the event and joyfully teach and preach some real shit (but appropriate) without there being high race tensions flying around. and maybe try and help hem construct more authentic names and costumes..fucking accept each other....this is just another race fueled thing it's always the same old shit. everyone's looking for excuses to fight and leave their mark...pathetic
    Last edited by APOLLO STASH; 04-28-2014 at 01:50 PM.

the family and the school are both assholes. the girl is very young and she comes home with the flier saying "they're trying to make fun of us at school". a girl that young wouldn't have came up with that unless the parents feed her a bunch centuries old white-hate shit. why would anyone organize an event to deliberately make fun of another race? it's just a fun event for children. calm the fuck down. maybe the real thanksgiving didn't go down the same way as how kids are taught in school. let them believe it while they're still kids and still luckily have their worry-free period of their lives.
    people have to remember that this isn't really a big deal...

...and the school is a bunch of douchebags for making the situation such a big deal and for suing the family for that much money over freedom of speech.

this all can be handled in a totally different way. people are such bitches nowadays that conflicts are always immediately turned over to the court. people don't have the decency to settle problems with civility. there's always enough to go around. it doesn't always have to be someone getting fucked over and the other one laughing down at them. look for a win/win solution.

the family could have just proactively approached the event organizers and volunteered to help take part in the event and joyfully teach and preach some real shit (but appropriate) without there being high race tensions flying around. and maybe try and help hem construct more authentic names and costumes..fucking accept each other....this is just another race fueled thing it's always the same old shit. everyone's looking for excuses to fight and leave their mark...pathetic
    Really, you think that's why a little kid came home crying, because she was a racist? Really?

Because native families teach their children to hate white people?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by WARPATH View Post
    Really, you think that's why a little kid came home crying, because she was a racist? Really?

Because native families teach their children to hate white people?

Really?
    that first line you said made no sense and wasn't what i said. and who said she was crying?

it's the how she worded her sentence "they're TRYING to make fun of us"...?

how does she know they're TRYING to make fun of them, like she thinks it's on purpose.

how that came out of her mouth could be an attitude that's a result of what her parents tell her at home.

now what her parents tell her doesn't have to be white-hate things (that was actually an exaggeration so on that one i apologize if it sounded wrong). who knows what they say?

but i'm saying, where does that attitude come from?

if she never came home with that, that whole thing wouldn't have happened
    Last edited by APOLLO STASH; 04-28-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Non Ignorant Math Team

LMFAO

NON-IGS

that first line you said made no sense and wasn't what i said. and who said she was crying?

it's the how she worded her sentence "they're TRYING to make fun of us"...?

how does she know they're TRYING to make fun of them, like she thinks it's on purpose.

how that came out of her mouth could be an attitude that's a result of what her parents tell her at home.

now what her parents tell her doesn't have to be white-hate things (that was actually an exaggeration so on that one i apologize if it sounded wrong). who knows what they say?

but i'm saying, where does that attitude come from?

if she never came home with that, that whole thing wouldn't have happened
    or

Kids found out she was a Native and started teasing her.

Speaking from experience, I'd say that's more likely to be the case here.

Yes there are racist parents out there.....and yes children pick up the attitudes of the parents....

But, why teach your kids your racist view points then send them to a primarily white school?

The parents tried to get the school to be more sensitive in what they were teaching, and the school retaliated. The kid was sensitive enough to know something wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by WARPATH View Post
    I guess I have the complete opposite view point. We can't unify without understanding.

Culture is the result of people coming together. Understanding and respecting those groups or the cultures that come from them is more unifying then completely disregarding their existence. That's where resistance between groups comes from. What people are doing in these examples is not understanding or respecting, they are exploiting, perverting, and stereotyping.
    Are people who dress up as cowboys doing the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Are people who dress up as cowboys doing the same thing?
    Nah, that's called a rodeo.