Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did Brooklyn become the up and coming, trendy place to live?

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLO STASH View Post
    did you get raped there?
    you don't know how many people get raped there. i was raped by a bunch of hipsters when i went to williamsburg.
    Last edited by spammy sosa; 04-15-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR QUIMBY View Post
    So you guys would prefer if Brooklyn remained a ghetto? How sad.
    Not the only alternative.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Most of New York is overrated like most cities, they're all the same today. Chain stores are taking over and killing the indiependant places that make the city worthwhile living wise. I like some of those old classic new york street facades but come on, it was fucking shitty for so long the whole city looked like a bomb had been dropped until the 90s/00s. Of course as soon as the place got cleaned up richer people will buy the place up. Wtf is that dickhole Spike Lee talking about like it's some sort of NY-centric problem. That guy thinks the enitre world revolves around NY. Gentrification sucks for the culture and traditions of anywhere but that's the fucked up shitty world we live in, this isn't a NY problem.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Big Business controls USA, not the people, and with Bloomberg in charge there was only 1 direction for the City - gentrification. They voted him in right? 3 times in a row!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost In The 'Lac View Post
    Most of New York is overrated like most cities, they're all the same today. Chain stores are taking over and killing the indiependant places that make the city worthwhile living wise.
    I disagree completely. Chain stores are all over the suburbs. No to say they aren't in the cities, but there are so many more independent stores and restaurants in the city.

Try to find a decent slice of pizza or a good dinner outside of a city. It's hard to find something other than Applebee's or Chilis sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
    you don't know how many people get raped there. i was raped by a bunch of hipsters when i went to williamsburg.
    yeah williamsburg is so infested. when the L train used to get fucked up every week and i had to do that gay ass Lorimer street shuttle bus bullshit the train station was like a hive for those creeps. but all jokes aside the Bronx is actually the rape center of this city

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost In The 'Lac View Post
    Most of New York is overrated like most cities, they're all the same today. Chain stores are taking over and killing the indiependant places that make the city worthwhile living wise. I like some of those old classic new york street facades but come on, it was fucking shitty for so long the whole city looked like a bomb had been dropped until the 90s/00s. Of course as soon as the place got cleaned up richer people will buy the place up. Wtf is that dickhole Spike Lee talking about like it's some sort of NY-centric problem. That guy thinks the enitre world revolves around NY. Gentrification sucks for the culture and traditions of anywhere but that's the fucked up shitty world we live in, this isn't a NY problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I disagree completely. Chain stores are all over the suburbs. No to say they aren't in the cities, but there are so many more independent stores and restaurants in the city.

Try to find a decent slice of pizza or a good dinner outside of a city. It's hard to find something other than Applebee's or Chilis sometimes.
    the city thrives on independent business. i don't even know the stats but i would assume independent locations outnumber chain companies at least 10:1. go down myrtle avenue in Queens you see nothing but independent businesses. go down little east neck in long island and you see Subways, Carvels, restaurants like Applebees, Fridays, etc.

It's called gentrification

'

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    It's called gentrification
    It's also a very complex issue and really varies depending on a city's history. This piece about what's currently going on in San Francisco is probably the best piece of long form journalism I've read in a long time. Although I doubt anyone here would read it all.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/14/sf-housing/

Def peeping that...it's a subject I think people need to take more seriously..especially those in the very low tax bracket

Banned

So the hipsters are a problem in the US too? I'm getting tired of these cunts buying local business and serving drinks in jam jars.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

'

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    Def peeping that...it's a subject I think people need to take more seriously..especially those in the very low tax bracket
    People in both the low & high tax brackets need to educate themselves on the matter. All parties involved are doing things that are counterproductive and making these situations snowball.

Wealthier residents w/ white collar salaries should be more involved in their new communities and pushing for better rent control laws and ways to redistribute wealth back into the community so they don't become the villains. Ex. that Google lawyer.

While long time neighborhood ppl and councils should forego the idea of exploiting specific environmental laws or pushing for ridiculously strict zoning that keeps affordable housing development stagnant and out reach. It's a cluster fuck of oblivious, arrogant ppl not looking at the big picture.
    Last edited by The Seer; 04-16-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLO STASH View Post
    a lot of hipster assholes are buying a lot of properties even in bed-stuy, bushwick and flatbush. i did electrical for 3 houses within the low income parts of brooklyn for white hipster property owners and two of them told me there's a lot of money in buying property in the ghetto and flipping them and selling them to other white people.

i don't think you should call it "trendy"..just chasing money. plus shit nowadays is tough so whites are moving in to ghetto areas. what have you read, learned or saw or whatever that made you create this thread?
    Seeing articles in the newspaper and pieces on the news from taste makers hyping it up like it is the best thing since cupcakes. I still lock all of my doors, roll up my windows and go through the red light whenever possible in Brownsville..