Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wu Tang ban on Hot97?

Default Wu Tang ban on Hot97?

just heard about that for the first time in the new article on here lol... the hell is that all about?

Default Re: Wu Tang ban on Hot97?

welcome to 1997 my son

"I'M HERON & SEX IN ONE, DOPE AS FUCK"

GENERAL WISE

I heard this along time ago but never knew why?
    Fill me in

1st Degree Drunken Masta dreday99's Avatar

its not an official ban i've heard flex play some wu cuts at nite, kay slay as well. and they used to play the hell outta that summertime shit wit ghost and beyonce. but 4 the most part they were blacklisted off ny radio.
    wherever u go, whatever u do, always remember the W is forever!

NUH!

but why
    all you all you dye is this shit right hea
    be like.. BLUE N CREAM

1st Degree Drunken Masta dreday99's Avatar

i heard it had something to do with what they said at a concert, maybe an early summerjam, or maybe they were mad at not gettin invited, but they basically were like fuck hot 97. anyway thats what i heard but it was almost a decade ago so who knows.
    wherever u go, whatever u do, always remember the W is forever!

Supposedly after some comments the Wu made at Hot 97s Summer Jam in 98, their music was banned from the station. But if they were banned it damn sure wasn't for long. Because regardless of what some people might tell you guys who do not live in New York, alot of Wu-Tang tracks have been put on their official playlist since 98 : Cherchez LaGhost, Gravel Pit, Protect Ya Neck (the Jumpoff), Uzi/Pinky Ring, and Back in the Game ( I could be forgetting a few). Anybody from New York who is an avid listener of Hot 97 can back me up on this.

Here's where the mixup comes: These songs tend not to last long on Hot 97, because its a different climate in hip hop since the Wu's glory days. The songs that are put on Hot 97's playlist tend to be taken off quickly because the songs have a small following in NYC. Hot 97, or any other major station for that matter, will not keep a song on their playlist unless it has huge positive feedback from their listeners.

So dont believe that there has been a ban of Wu-Tang music on Hot 97. If there ever was one it must have been after that concert up to about a year later.

yeah they play Wu, Flex even had Rza on before the first Bobby Digital album playing some tracks, like Domestic Violence.
    People just aren't into Wu anymore, and radio stations have to play what the people want
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

So, why is RZA saying on the homepage that they were still banned on the radio? Weird...
    Wu-Tang Corp Admin Mark Mayoya

They Were Banned For The Simple Fact Of The Comments Made At Summer Jam 97. After They Ripped The Show , They Started Dissin Cats N Shit..hot 97 After That Never Really Embraced Wu-tang As Much As They Should Of.
    http://images.meez.com/user07/3/9/3/0/8/3/9/3930839_bodyshot_175x233.gif

They really were banned for a long time on Hot 97. When RZA said that he meant that they weren't consistently playing Wu-joints like they did back in the day after the incident at Summer Jam.

I was at the concert and the Wu came on last to rip it apart. The problem was that with those kind of concerts(with at least 10 acts performing) by the time Wu got on stage, a lot of people were leaving to go home.

The Wu started dissin the previous acts( I remember them saying Heavy-D, who hadn't been out in a while, got more love from the crowd than they did).

Also, the sound system started to malfunction and Hot 97 wound up cutting off all their mikes. Thats when they started flipping and screaming Fuck Hot 97.

Otherwise it was great performance by all of the generals(memories).

Veteran Member

Yeah Man I Always Have Heard Wu On Hot 97 Gravel Pits, Ptn Jumpoff, And Pinky Rings I Know For A Fact Was Bein Played On Hot 97 Same With Run And Whats Happening. Not To Metion That Mr.Cee Always Plays Old Wu On The Throwback At Noon. Also I Pretty Sure Kay Slay Played Some Inspectah Deck Off The Movement Including He's a Rebel And A Few Rza Joints La Rhumba And Some Other One I Cant Think Of. So This Ban Must Not Of Lasted Long.

Shaolin Master

a few months ago the gza said in an interview with hip-hop connection( U.K MAGAZINE) that the wu decided to perform at a hot 97 ( not every member wanted to do so but the majority did) and they were put on after Puffy when hot 97 was on his dick and then the wu went on stage tore the place down but their set was cut short and they started a riot, DISSIN' HOT 97 AND OTHER ARTIST WHO HAD BEEN LOWER IN THE BILL GETTING MORE RERSPECT WHEN THE WU WAS ON TOP,Gza said from then on the wu never got much radio play after that except method man cause he was with def jam- this was a time when the wu e.g rae, ghost and gza were on the radio during busy times and songs were being played 9- 10 times a day but since then they got somewhat blackballed.

smoke in your eye

Quote Originally Posted by Punch
    People just aren't into Wu anymore, and radio stations have to play what the people want
    or rather radio stations have to play what there paid 2 play

^word is bond
    The Holy Temple Is The Mental