View Poll Results: Should Washington change their NFL team's name?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

5 100.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • It doesn't bother me either way.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fifty Senators Call On NFL To Change Redskins' Name

Default Fifty Senators Call On NFL To Change Redskins' Name

he Donald Sterling controversy was always either going to overshadow and quiet the debate over the Redskins' team name, or bring it to the forefront. Well, here's the answer: A whopping 50 U.S. senators have signed a letter to Roger Goodell, a letter that minces no words: "It's time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team."

"The despicable comments made by Mr. Sterling have opened up a national conversation about race relations. We believe this conversation is an opportunity for the NFL to take action to remove the racial slur from the name of one of its marquee franchises."
    "Listen, it is hard to get 50 people in this place to agree on anything," said Maria Cantwell (Wash.), who circulated the letter. But there's not really anything resembling consensus here. All 50 senators who signed are Democrats; it wasn't even circulated among Republicans. This is now an unavoidably partisan issue, and on those, not much tends to actually happen in Washington—be it on Capitol Hill or in Landover.

The NFL put out a statement in response to the letter that read, in part:

"The intent of the team's name has always been to present a strong, positive and respectful image. The name is not used by the team or the N.F.L. in any other context, though we respect those that view it differently."
    I agree with Florio's take on this response (I know, I hate myself too). This is previously unceded ground being now treaded by the league: An admission that those offended by the name "Redskins" deserve respect for their viewpoint. And if you're going to acknowledge that taking offense is a legitimate reaction—if not a universal one—doesn't that imply that the controversial name might be legitimately offensive?

Here's the senators' letter to the NFL:

So do you think Washington should change the name of their NFL team, or no?
    Last edited by hectis; 05-22-2014 at 10:09 AM.

I think maybe they should worry about fixing our real problems, and im not just saying that because im a skins fan.

But hey, while we're at it lets change the name of the Vikings in honor of all the people they raped and killed hundreds of years ago.

Change the name of the browns too because im 1/16th latino and it offends my right foot.

Fuck this PC bullshit, its only going to get worse. Thought police coming soon, watch whats on your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GZAjector View Post
    I think maybe they should worry about fixing our real problems, and im not just saying that because im a skins fan.
    That is true. What should happen is Dan should change the name his self, or the other owners should pressure him to do so, but no one from any branch of the government should try to do it.

They had said that various Native Americans mentioned that they weren't offended by the current name. Though on the other hand a lot of people are offended by it. Are other names still considered offensive too like the Braves? The Redskins have the worst owner in the league, so first it might be good to try to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by pope check two IV View Post
    They had said that various Native Americans mentioned that they weren't offended by the current name. Though on the other hand a lot of people are offended by it. Are other names still considered offensive too like the Braves? The Redskins have the worst owner in the league, so first it might be good to try to get rid of him.
    Not so much.

Almost all the people who take offense are angry liberal white women and their pussywhipped boyfriends, guaranteed.

The only name that could possibly make fans happy is just Skins, pretty much every uses that slang anyway. Im sure skeletons will take offense though

Personally I think they should be changed to the 'Art Monks'

There is a rumour that if Dan does change the name it will be to the Bravehearts.

Isnt that the name of a shitty queensbridge boy band? If so then i take offense to that

You might get a free concert from Nas.

When do you think this might happen?

Since Washington can't trademark the name, and anyone can now sale Redskins products, and it could take several years in court in which they, or anyone could trademark the name, I would not be surprised if Dan tries to change the name as soon as he can, because of all the money the team formally known as the Redskins would lose. If they do change their name I wonder what name they would chose?

Maybe, but there are other names they could use.