Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: R&B Thread

Nah man. I tried to have an open mind but I can't get with that Bryson Tiller track. Even if I were to accept the autotune, there's too many FX on the beat itself.

Autotune is cool...if used in moderation.

For example, I'm cool if someone just uses it for the chorus/hook. But too many R&B singers go the entire song with it.

And I'm not even against harmonizers and enhancers.

I have a symetrix 421 AGC in my studio myself. And a tube compressor that goes well with vocals. Mostly for evening out levels There's a downward expander and some feature called a "speech curve." This stuff is processing but not the annoying robotic sound.

Some of my rack units, including the Ensoniq DP4 has some autotune features that I think Daft Punk uses. Once Daft Punk came out with that album and told people they were using the Ensoniq DP4 the prices tripled. It might have been what they used on that hit "One More Time."

^ That's his new song, not sure if I like it myself yet. His first album was fantastic though.

The autotune is really like any other effect in that sense, you can use it well, or not. I hear autotune a lot more in Hip Hop than R&B anyway, really can't think of many outside of Ty Dolla and the hybrid rappers.

Another singer/producer I keep coming back to.

This R&B track (maybe more soul/funk?) is about 10 years old but I still jam it whenever the lady is trying argue with me. I only like to argue on WuCorp, not with women.

Aloe Blacc - Loving You Is Killing Me (Live in Studio)

Yuna - Live Your Life

This music makes WuCorp want to flip the Wu Posters in their rooms around to expose the Drake poster taped on the backside, and break out the lotion.

I'm going to go shave my chest and get the baby powder

^^I am ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to you for telling us what music we can and should listen to as Wu Tang fans.

I'm sure Raekwon listens to nothing but Wu ('FILA'). RZA doesn't even listen to RnB (Tash Mahogany, Blue Raspberry, Tekitha), Cappadonna never leaves Staten Island and keeps it strictly local ('Wu South'). Method Man and Ol' Dirty Bastard have in fact never recorded with D'Angelo and Kelis, their choruses were doctored in by 'buffoon' record companies.

Cilvaringz is keeping Masta Killa in hiding in a cardboard box in his backyard though (he first moved him to Sound Shack, as he always does with doubtful 'Wu' artists, but then he noted this delightful little discussion above) because half his catalog consists of mellowed out RnB tracks. To make amends he's now secretly working on a one copy gospel album with a top producer who shall not be named (book deal in the works, WuCorp advertizing as well), but most definitely NOT a gospel album like Snoop Dogg's! All recorded material will first be submitted to you in the audio section for approval - we wouldn't want anyone on here or out there to have a differing opinion.
    Retired.

I'm okay with you being hall monitor. But Wu-Corp will never be a safe space for Drake fans.

I'm not reading whatever Sense A said, but I'm enjoying R&B a lot recently, I enjoy the modern sound of the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I'm not reading whatever Sense A said, but I'm enjoying R&B a lot recently, I enjoy the modern sound of the last few years.
    So do I. R&B has been rejuvenated somewhat, with lots of interesting new artists and a fresh sound. some recent R&B sounds more organic than its predecessors. that track by Jenevieve you posted sounds great. such a warm sound, nice bass line too. and her singing is up there.
    Retired.

Pretty addictive really, I'm on my third listen of that Jenevieve track already.
    Retired.

Don't be so serious all the time. I'm here to enjoy music.

Here is maybe my favorite R&B group of all time in 2020

BOYZ II MEN- WATER RUNS DRY LIVE

Positive
    Energy
    Always
    Conquers
    Evil