Thread: Question for the anti-religious/anti-God...

Veteran Member

Default Question for the anti-religious/anti-God...

When did you come to the conclusion that "There is no God" and "Religion is BS"? Was it a gradual process or immediate? Or did you never believe in them in the first place?

Prospect

I read the bible when I was 11 or 12. I thought to myself, what a bunch of bollocks. These stories are all shite and clearly made up to control people.

Veteran Member

I was approximately around the same age when I read the Bible and found contradictions. I new the Bible had flaws, but that's it.

Attack Ships On Fire Sun Tanama's Avatar

Theres just no reason to believe it in the first place. It goes against logic and science and common sense. If somebody tells you to believe in something why wouldn't you question it first? And if it seems like a load of shit to keep ancient societies in line then it probably is.

Of course we don't really know much about the universe and its creation, but thats no reason to believe the first guy that comes up with a story to explain it. I think a lot of people are not smart and they just want a nice comforting story they can believe in because the truth, that we really have no idea what the meaning of life is, terrifies them.

Nobody in the last several thousand years has been able to prove any kind of god to be true, and we lived without religion (and also without power based civilizations...) before that.

Until the day God bursts through the clouds and says hi, shit is 100% worth ignoring. I believe for the most part its harmful, it promotes illogical thinking which hurts people in a lot of ways. Theres a bunch of threads in here already about dumb fucked up shit religions force on people so i won't go into that.

Non Ignorant Math Team

religion is nonsense but it is needed for society to be enjoyable. its kinda like alcohol. 2 things thatd suffer without religion is music and literature.

NON-IGS

Quote Originally Posted by MATHLETE'S FOOT View Post
    religion is nonsense but it is needed for society to be enjoyable. its kinda like alcohol. 2 things thatd suffer without religion is music and literature.
    Can you explain this? Seems absurd.

I haven't believed in God for any part of my life and I only occassionally drink. Alcohol is another method used to keep people placated.

What does religion have to do with music and literature? You think all the artists and writers that happen to be religious would start to suck if they turned atheist?

Non Ignorant Math Team

yeah I think a lot of writers and musicians are insane and they need religion cuz of its insane creativeness.

writing a book is basically creating a make believe world. wat does that remind you of.

the thing is that most fantasy type books are mostly taken from myths, fuck even video games are. just look at skyrim.

a make believe world that has been created for 1000s of years is going to be a lot better than one guys story created in less than 10 years so the author needs to take from these religions.

musicians are also people who don't usually think logically and theyre drawn by the religious.

look at the beatles and RZA. theyre intelligent but lack a lot of logic and common sense.

if religion never existed virgil wouldn't even be able to write the aeneid.

I think youll also find that a lot of writers and musicians don't usually believe in organised religions but believe in their own mix of different things.

and maybe u personally don't need to drink but a lot of people need some form of intoxicant (why do u think theyre so popular, fuck even dolphins get high off puffer fish).

the thing is u sortve got the gist of the problem when u said

"I think a lot of people are not smart and they just want a nice comforting story they can believe in because the truth, that we really have no idea what the meaning of life is, terrifies them."

its not that people aren't smart, its just the human mind isn't inclined to follow the truth. its the reason why fiction sells better than non-fiction. people prefer stories.

I also don't think people are scared of a meaningless existence but people just like to create beliefs and impose them on people.

NON-IGS

Well okay, you can have The Bible and all these other books as works of literature and then people can still reference them in works of fiction. But its really no different to referencing an old comic book.

Writers and musicians need religion? Nah they'd be creative without it. Your post is all over the place btw. Whats the difference between taking an old myth or story and using one from the bible?

Religion is absolutely unnecessary.

And its a mix of those things, a method of control by various governments, and people that want everything to be explained in a neat little package. How did Moses part the red sea? Magic!

Non Ignorant Math Team

comic books are almost just myths, but the creators don't believe in them fully. some people can be like that but for a lot its better to fully believe in their fantasy world for maximum results.

lol religion is definitely important for writers. the oldest literatures in the world were mostly religious, being either prayers, hymns, religious poems or religious epics.

I don't think you understand that a rational, logical mind isn't usually that useful for creative arts compared to a boundlessly creative one that doesn't give a fuck about being overly rational and these types of minds are usually very influenced by religious notions.

I don't understand ur question btw. I think id answer with theres no real difference between an old myth and a myth in the bible.

btw nothings totally necessary. that's a very subjective thing.

some governments do use religion to control people but id say that's the minority in the history of the world.

stuff like voodoo, Greco roman mysteries and native American religions cant even be used to control people because they are very flexible religions.

lol religions don't usually explain things to make it really easy to understand. they explain things to make it fun and interesting and more personal.

also why do you think only dumb people are drawn to religion?

just because a person is smart doesn't mean theyre necessarily drawn towards the truth.

a good example is Pythagoras. smart mathematician who created a scientology type cult.

NON-IGS

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

Round & Round We Go

Religion = "The Great Work" of Satan/Saturn

Which should make you wonder if you are saying that "God" doesn't "Exist"

You think you know who/what "God" is lol

I don't think you understand that a rational, logical mind isn't usually that useful for creative arts compared to a boundlessly creative one that doesn't give a fuck about being overly rational and these types of minds are usually very influenced by religious notions.
    Exactly.

lol at reading "Scripture" with your broken brain & moulded mind-
    Trying to understand in terms of what you think you know:
    When really it's simply what you were taught.

"I Know Let's Explain 4D in 2D in the form of a book....
    haha that should keep them busy for a while"

"Wait A Minute....How?....This Doesn't Make Any Sense?!?!"

If you're looking outside instead of searching inside for the answer : you already lost....

Like Jesus said:

Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God:
    But unto them that are without....all these things are done in parables.

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
    Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 06-29-2014 at 06:37 PM.

comic books are almost just myths, but the creators don't believe in them fully. some people can be like that but for a lot its better to fully believe in their fantasy world for maximum results.

lol religion is definitely important for writers. the oldest literatures in the world were mostly religious, being either prayers, hymns, religious poems or religious epics.

I don't understand ur question btw. I think id answer with theres no real difference between an old myth and a myth in the bible.

btw nothings totally necessary. that's a very subjective thing.

some governments do use religion to control people but id say that's the minority in the history of the world.

stuff like voodoo, Greco roman mysteries and native American religions cant even be used to control people because they are very flexible religions.

lol religions don't usually explain things to make it really easy to understand. they explain things to make it fun and interesting and more personal.

also why do you think only dumb people are drawn to religion?

just because a person is smart doesn't mean theyre necessarily drawn towards the truth.

a good example is Pythagoras. smart mathematician who created a scientology type cult.
    Man, I disagree with almost everything you're saying. Motherfuckers kill themselves and others, treat other people like shit because of whats written in those books. If you think those people don't deserve a real, useful education based on logic i don't know what to tell you.

In a way, I guess you're saying that kind of behaviour is in human nature which is fine. But this is the age of digital information, theres no reason to put blind faith in something like the rest of the sheep.

And you're talking around my point, not to it. Theres nothing wrong with Spirituality, which i think is what you mean when you say creative people are drawn to religious concepts. Organized religion, actively religious people are the problem.

We'll say 'ignorant' people instead of dumb people.

"lol religions don't usually explain things to make it really easy to understand. they explain things to make it fun and interesting and more personal."

? I think the explanation of the creation of the universe was precisely to make it understandable to the uneducated masses. Most of it is, parables and such. And of course they try and make it interesting captain obvious.

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

i never believed in god until a few years ago when i read about pantheism. i believe the universe is god, therefore we are god. i think organized religion is a joke.

Non Ignorant Math Team

lol forcing logical thinking onto people wont help. people don't like it when you force things onto them.

and its not many religions which make people kill eachother. its usually overly rigid ones that do this.

look at the roman empire. it was nearly impossible for a holy war to take place because of how flexible and inclusive their religions where.

an example is of how they took over the celts and they combined the celtic deities with their roman deities eg they thought sulis was the same goddess as Minerva so they just named her sulis Minerva.

they did this with every deity and said to the celts we'll worship your gods but u have to pay respect to our ones as well.

and that meant a holy war was not possible. this tactic worked with everyone except for the jews who refused to worship other gods and also because the jewish religion is very antisocial.

and if any system is overly rigid and fanatical it becomes dangerous.

soviet state atheist policies have persecuted 12-20 million Christians. so its not just a religious problem.

if u think that forcing a secular type teaching onto everyone while saying their beliefs are bullshit will work then ur very much mistaken.

also I don't think its necessarily true that because people are more rational there'll be more peace.

organised religion and actively religious people are fine as long as theyre not fanatical and are tolerant. eg Sikhs

and theres a very fine line between spirituality and extremely flexible religions like paganism.

tbh I think everyones ignorant. lol

I don't think creation stories where created by some upper class elites to trick "uneducated masses" lol.

I think religion and creation stories existed a long time before there were massive social divisions in human cultures.

NON-IGS