Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pharoahe Monch or Nas???

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Default Pharoahe Monch or Nas???

Saw this topic elsewhere and could believe how almost everybody said Nas.

Who's the better emcee?

And I don't care about anything commercial or sales.

No poll, back it up with something rational. I'm seriously curious to hear this because I feel like this is one of the few spots where you can get the most legit talk on this match up.
    Last edited by TommySuits; 07-12-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Pharoahe Monch is slightly more technically proficient on verses/flow. Also, Pharoahe never fell off, while Nas did for a bit with his dumbed down thug persona (content matter). But since I was introduced to Nas much earlier in my life, simply for that reason I'd go for Nas on a personal level. Both have classic albums to their name.

Good thread.
    Retired.

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

nas is derivative to kool g rap and rakim. he's one of the most overrated rappers of all time.

pharoahe monch is a legit rapper and much better than nas.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post
    Pharoahe Monch is slightly more technically proficient on verses/flow.
    This

Check, P Monch's first verse on the joint WWIII off the "Sound Bombing" album. That is the best example of m.cing I have ever heard.

Nas is one of the illest.... But to me nas is more like a street poet. But if you wanna hear an ill nas verse, just peep his verse on "Executive Decisions" off the firm album.

Hard decision.... but I will go with Nas, because I like more of his music than pharoahe's.

On a side note: I wish the Firm would bless us with another album. I like the firm because I am not a kid anymore and the Firm has a grown up feel to it. So I know I could throw it on with a girl and not look stupid. As opposed to the other 99% of rap which is mostly juvenile.
    Last edited by zooruka; 07-12-2014 at 03:49 AM.

As an MC, I'll take PM over Nas anyday. Why?

If we're discussing number of songs I listen to on a regular basis Nas might just edge it, but PM is such a superior rapper I gotta go with the Pharoahe.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Attack Ships On Fire Sun Tanama's Avatar

Nas because you know, its Nas.

Nothing against PM but I don't need to hear any more concept songs about bullets.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

PHAROAHE MONCH. His versatility and the different styles in the way he flows.

Banned

Nas is overrated with an average catalogue post Illmatic but how are Kool G Rap & Rakim overrated? Anyway...

PM easily for me. Better rapper technically, better versatility and above all else his catalogue shits on Nas as a whole even though Nas has the better best album.

I still like Nas though but he's the rapper with the most dick riders and has lived off the strength of Illmatic and dope guest appearances for too long.
    Last edited by The Hound; 07-12-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Attack Ships On Fire Sun Tanama's Avatar

Nas records are more personal and meaningful to me. He has a way with words that is unmatched imo. I think even on his weak albums he had songs that were incredible.

Monch is incredible too but often his songs can feel like a display of technical proficiency and not much else, almost like hes trying to be self consciously clever rather than just creating art.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tanama View Post
    Monch is incredible too but often his songs can feel like a display of technical proficiency and not much else, almost like hes trying to be self consciously clever rather than just creating art.
    There is a lot of truth to that assessment.
    Retired.

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    Nas is overrated with an average catalogue post Illmatic but how are Kool G Rap & Rakim overrated? Anyway...

PM easily for me. Better rapper technically, better versatility and above all else his catalogue shits on Nas as a whole even though Nas has the better best album.

I still like Nas though but he's the rapper with the most dick riders and has lived off the strength of Illmatic and dope guest appearances for too long.
    rakim and kool g rap are top 10 rappers of all time and top 3 lyrically technical rappers of all time.

Veteran Member

Nas of course. Nas could do the boasting about being the best rapper, but he also puts his life on songs. Nas is a poet and social commentator as well. Nas albums are much more meaningful and contain relevant messages.

Nas everyday.

roc marciano