Thread: Led Zeppelin

Banned

Default Led Zeppelin

I'll start this by saying that I'm a big fan of LZ and I really do like them and ever since I was born I've been listening to them thanks to my father. But I had this argument with somebody yesterday and want to see what others think.

I can't recognise them as greatness. To me Led Zeppelin are the Ben Johnson of music; yeah, sure you were good and there's no disputing that but you still cheated. I personally can't recognise a band that stole so much from other people before them without giving them their dues. Cover songs and paying homage is one thing (Rolling Stones first few albums) but I can't take Led Zeppelin seriously as a great band knowing so many of their best songs are jacked.

Is that wrong? The songs are great and so are the albums so should it matter? Just enjoy it for what it is and don't concern yourself where this riff came from or which song this verse was lifted from? I can't do it and it gets to the point where I hear classic LZ tracks that used to get me hyped and I just feel meh

Most people don't seem to care though. The guy I argued with didn't even know that stole music so he didn't care anyway and those that do give them a pass.

Oh, and regardless of stealing music or not Black Sabbath were better.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

They created a lot of their own great music without sampling and replaying. But it does somewhat taint their history. The Beatles sampled a few older records like Chuck Berry but it was never a straight jackmove like Zep.

It almost seems to be similar to Hip Hop artists using an audio part of a record. But it is worse because I think when you hear a rap song, you usually know what part has been sampled and you know to a degree what the producer is responsible for. With those Zeppelin records there was no acknowledgement and people just assumed that as well as being virtuoso musicians they were geniuses with riffs and cool bluesy hooks.

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

their first album and physical graffiti are my favorite albums

I don't really know much about what they did and didn't steal/borrow. Whatever the case they were a brilliant group of musicians. I'm not a massive fan of their albums. I don't listen to them much. But I love watching old live shit of them.