• Illmatic

25 92.59%
  • It Was Written

3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 'It Was Written was better than Illmatic'

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I think the average hip hop fan is quick to follow the pack and accept that Illmatic is this brilliant album when really it's not. Quality wise it's really not that amazing. I don't think you can really understand why it's regarded as highly as it is unless you were there at the thyme. I think there are countless hip hop albums which it doesn't come close to measuring up to quality wise.
    Its fine that you don't like the album, but its pretty arrogant and condescending to say that everybody that loves that album is just following the pack.

IWW and Illmatic are both classics but Illmatic is the one that had the impact, basically because it came first.

Quote Originally Posted by PANDA PISS View Post
    its pretty arrogant and condescending to say that everybody that loves that album is just following the pack.
    I didn't say everybody.

If you honestly believe that this album would get even close to the amount of praise it does if it weren't for its reputation, you're kidding yourself.

^^^

I agree.

Like you said earlier noel. You probably had to be around, when it was released to understand the amount of hype it gets.

Non Ignorant Math Team

Lol noell its very easy to see why people prefer illmatic. Illmatics got no wack tracks nas is cumming, black girl lost and street dreams all suck ass

NON-IGS

Quote Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
    and street dreams all suck ass

This

Banned

Lol noell its very easy to see why people prefer illmatic. Illmatics got no wack tracks nas is cumming, black girl lost and street dreams all suck ass
    ^^

THIS.

/thread
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I didn't say anything about people preferring one over the other. I can totally see why people would prefer Illmatic over IWW. I probably would too if I'd got them both when they dropped.

I gotta disagree, It Was Written is a pretty good album especially for today but it can't fuck with Illmatic which is flawless imo. At the time It Was Written was released it had a very corny/commercial vibe to it which is why it was panned. The production alone on Illmatic is enough to be better than It Was Written.

However, I will add that I agree with Noel that many people today dickride Illmatic because of its reputation, People won't on Illmatics dick back in the day like that but if you speak to most people today they act like the whole hip hop world went bananas when Illmatic was released which isn't true.

as much as I love IWW and I really do, Illmatic is more classic, because like someone said before, it created the standard for East Coast rap albuns.

but I really love IWW, the only tracks I skip are "Street Dreams" , "Black Girl Lost" and "If I Ruled The World" , I also dont feel that "Nas Is Coming" track too much but every other track on that LP really BANGS! how can someone say the "Take It In Blood" beat sucks? that beat is one of my favorite on that album.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 07-23-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    However, I will add that I agree with Noel that many people today dickride Illmatic because of its reputation, People won't on Illmatics dick back in the day like that but if you speak to most people today they act like the whole hip hop world went bananas when Illmatic was released which isn't true.
    The whole Hip-hop world DID go bananas over illmatic, and yes I was there. It was instantly hailed as a classic.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I didn't say everybody.

If you honestly believe that this album would get even close to the amount of praise it does if it weren't for its reputation, you're kidding yourself.
    I already said this album had the impact because it came first, there was basically nothing touching it before it came out.

Why did it get the reputation in the first place, genius?

Maybe you're kidding yourself that because you're one of the few people that doesn't get it people are just following its reputation.

Nas is Coming is bad, thats the only song that I skip.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Illmatic killed East Coast. It ended its golden era. 90% of what came after Illmatic was derivative. It still hasn't really recovered.

Banned

OB4CL did far worse damage than Illmatic
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.