Thread: Killah Priest - "Heavy Mental" [Instrumental Version]

Default Killah Priest - "Heavy Mental" [Instrumental Version]

Anyone ever checked this out? I'm usually not too big on listening to instrumental versions of records that's meant to include vocals, but I came across this on 2xLP promo vinyl the other day and man this shit is mindblowing.. especially 4th Disciple and Y-Kim's work on here works perfectly well as stand alone pieces, and i've noticed a lot of little flips and tricks in the instrumentals that i hadn't catched before. it's a really deep project and i would suggest any fan of "Heavy Mental" to give this one a try as well. there's also a couple of major differences from the vocal album as well that I noticed on my two first listens -

* "Crusaids" which is like a minor bridge to "Tai Chi" on the vocal LP is fleshed out to the original three minutes that you recognizes from the leaked session tracks.. and imo it pops out even stronger in instrumental form for some reason

* "Almost There" is a totally different song here that's not very similiar to the one heard on the vocal LP or any of the outtakes sessions that i now of. it's a very atmospheric beat with a saxophone, a nice stand-up bass groove, some chimes and ambient sounds (no drums!). its got a pretty eerie feeling to it and I would love to hear the "Almost There" vocals placed over this instrumental.

i can't find this version of the album on iTunes and since it only was a promo release it's definitely out-of-print.. would it be okay to put up a link to the LP in here for the peeps?? otherwise, Google is your friend, it's definitely ripped - but some version i see have the song "From then Till Now" as the final song, which is not the case with the LP (http://www.discogs.com/Killah-Priest...elease/1340251)

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

without knowing the majority of the samples off hand, i think one of the reasons "Heavy Mental" is so amazing and transcends what we're used to being called hip-hop is that it's completely sample based, yet the samples sounds to be from some highly unusual sources. most producers dig for Soul, Funk, R&B, Jazz and some rock..

much of the stuff 4th and Y-Kim uses here sounds more like its coming from classically trained composers working in the avant-garde field - some of it reminds me of what little i've heard from someone like György Lygeti or Bela Bartok. there's definitely some free jazz pieces they used as well i would say... and programming those fat ass hip-hop drums under these type of atmospheric mood pieces is fucking genius and is exactly right for Priest's lyrics and vocal style.

this also makes the more "regular" soul-based cuts like "One Step" and "If You Don't Know" comfort the listener, reigning us in and giving us a chance to exhale and nod our heads in pure joy before being slung out into the deep space of the mind again... and as such they really give an extra strength to the LP that is much, much needed, which is a perfection of balance (the best example is the overpowering mindfuck of "Heavy Mental" that just when you barely think you can take it anymore switches over into the classic Wu-Tang style "If You Don't Know").

i remember a piece in Hip Hop Connection back in the day where they gave a whole page dedicated to "The Greatest Hip-Hop album of all time"... and Yep, it was "Heavy Mental"!
    Last edited by claaa7; 07-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

here is the alternative version of "Almost There" btw:

http://www.audiomack.com/song/claaa7...t-instrumental

Thanks for the link man! 4th was a real motherfucker when he was making Heaven Mental!
    By the way, a lot of samples from Heavy Mental were taken from soul/funk source, but they were used in Wu way. For example the "Tai Chi" beat seems to have some samples from an unknown source, but it actually uses two soul samples:

- The Commodores - Three Times A Lady (the piano at 0:00)
    - Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (the vocal at 0:05 / it's the same sample what RZA used in "Labels")

As you can see it's all soul samples, but 4th used so amazingly and made a classic out of nothing.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by soob View Post
    Thanks for the link man! 4th was a real motherfucker when he was making Heaven Mental!
    By the way, a lot of samples from Heavy Mental were taken from soul/funk source, but they were used in Wu way. For example the "Tai Chi" beat seems to have some samples from an unknown source, but it actually uses two soul samples:

- The Commodores - Three Times A Lady (the piano at 0:00)
    - Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (the vocal at 0:05 / it's the same sample what RZA used in "Labels")

As you can see it's all soul samples, but 4th used so amazingly and made a classic out of nothing.
    lmao @ this POLISH HOMOSEXUAL USING MY PICS.. THOUGTH HOMOSEXUALITY WAS FORBIDDEN IN THE CHRISTIAN WORLD.. BUT THERE IS ALWAYS AN EXEPTION THAT PROVES THE RULE...

Quote Originally Posted by Jutzu-Lo-Killer View Post
    lmao @ this POLISH HOMOSEXUAL USING MY PICS.. THOUGTH HOMOSEXUALITY WAS FORBIDDEN IN THE CHRISTIAN WORLD.. BUT THERE IS ALWAYS AN EXEPTION THAT PROVES THE RULE...

Man, someone's changed this pic.. it wasn't me. Get the fuck outta me

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Veteran Member

lmao u get the fuck outta me POLISH FAGGOT

Damn just another reason claaa7 is truly the god
    Non Ignorants

RIP

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post

Anyone ever checked this out? I'm usually not too big on listening to instrumental versions of records that's meant to include vocals, but I came across this on 2xLP promo vinyl the other day and man this shit is mindblowing.. especially 4th Disciple and Y-Kim's work on here works perfectly well as stand alone pieces, and i've noticed a lot of little flips and tricks in the instrumentals that i hadn't catched before. it's a really deep project and i would suggest any fan of "Heavy Mental" to give this one a try as well. there's also a couple of major differences from the vocal album as well that I noticed on my two first listens -

* "Crusaids" which is like a minor bridge to "Tai Chi" on the vocal LP is fleshed out to the original three minutes that you recognizes from the leaked session tracks.. and imo it pops out even stronger in instrumental form for some reason

* "Almost There" is a totally different song here that's not very similiar to the one heard on the vocal LP or any of the outtakes sessions that i now of. it's a very atmospheric beat with a saxophone, a nice stand-up bass groove, some chimes and ambient sounds (no drums!). its got a pretty eerie feeling to it and I would love to hear the "Almost There" vocals placed over this instrumental.

i can't find this version of the album on iTunes and since it only was a promo release it's definitely out-of-print.. would it be okay to put up a link to the LP in here for the peeps?? otherwise, Google is your friend, it's definitely ripped - but some version i see have the song "From then Till Now" as the final song, which is not the case with the LP (http://www.discogs.com/Killah-Priest...elease/1340251)

dont suppose u have mp3 of the album? I love instrumental albums tical instrumental is amazing so is supreme clientele
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?