Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember when video games were made so you COULDN'T beat them?!

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Default Remember when video games were made so you COULDN'T beat them?!

Do they still have 'game over' ????

What a different world we live in now with video games. If you get stuck or take too long to advance a hint pops up in the corner of the screen. First thing kids do now is go right online for all the codes or walk-throughs.

YOU HAD 3 LIVES TO BEAT CONTRA!

YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO FIGURE OUT THAT I HAD TO PULL MY CONTROLLER AND PUT IT IN PORT 2 IN ORDER TO BEAT METAL GEAR?!

Some games you threw in and all it said was PRESS START. There were no options to make yourself feel more comfortable. Some games, if you wanted to lower the difficulty level it said something degrading like 'Pussy' instead of 'Easy'

The average kid who thinks he's a gamer these days won't make it past level 1 in Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Streets of Rage.

Nobody under the age of 20 can beat Shao Kahn in MK3 and if it's MK2 they won't even make it past Kitana. I was doing BRUTALITIES in the arcade! That doesn't happen now.

Some of the puzzles in the first two Resident Evils were next to impossible.

Damn, I remember writing down passwords. Or trying to memorize codes from magazines while at the store. Only to find out when I got home that I memorized the Sega CD code not Genesis. Kids in school were spreading rumors about codes and secrets. Game Pro had a few codes then Tips and Tricks would drop and have completely different ones. Those days were fun. I miss when everything was word of mouth like that. I miss when EVERYONE thought Sonya Blade had a Fatality where she got naked.

Build...

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Good thread.

I had a ton of NES and SNES games back in the day, I remember the SNES games being more forgiving, but I reckon I completed less than 1/4 of my NES games. It wasn't always the difficulty but the length of the games! Some had 100+ levels, and with no end in sight I usually gave up I laugh when games today have like 20 hours of gameplay!

The point I remember being stuck at the longest was Vega in Street Fighter II on the SNES. Me and my friend literally took turns in shifts to beat him.

Those days were fun. I miss when everything was word of mouth like that. I miss when EVERYONE thought Sonya Blade had a Fatality where she got naked.
    Haha, yeah every school had some bullshitter who claimed they'd unearthed secrets like that, I still remember the Sheng Long hoax...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheng_Long
    Last edited by Sky Blue Bally Kid; 08-11-2014 at 04:45 AM.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

What happened to good old epic boss fights? Like in Metroid, Zelda, Metal Gear. something to look forward too. Instead of the same boring repetitive bullshit.

The last great original game i've played was PORTAL 2 for Xbox-Box 360.

Just picked up The Last Of Us REMASTERED for PS4, liked it so much on the PS3 I had to get the REMASTERED VERSION.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

^been hearing real good things about TLOU-R

thinking about picking it up. even though I dont usually play campaign/story modes. I might be able to make an exception for this if it is really as good as ppl say it is
    We do it for the people.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Nintendo Entertainment System in my opinion, still has the most difficult library of games to this day..

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Nintendo Entertainment System in my opinion, still has the most difficult library of games to this day..

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

karate kid or dr jekel mr hyde = hardest games ever.

Veteran Member

This is a really good thread. Took me back.

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

my 20 yr old brother snaps at MLB 14 when I was half his age trying to hit a pitch in Super Bases Loaded for NES.

Banned

NES games were fucking hard. I didn't complete many of them as a kid but I sure played the shit out of them.

I miss when video games were about having fun, solving a puzzle or just a straight up troll by the developers who made shit ridiculously hard to beat. These so-called immersive epic games today that are all the rage where you just watch a whole lot of cut scenes are boring to me. If I want to feel immersed in an epic, sad story I'll watch a movie.

I had Road Rash 2 where the booklet had like 7 pages for you to write passwords in lol

I miss the 8-bit music.

I miss the secrets too. When you heard a rumour at school about a secret and you rush home and try it out.

I loved the video shops and hiring video games. If a game had a save feature I would always play the previous for a bit lol there would always be the one game you want to hire and you go back to the video shop but the cunt hasn't returned it for about a week

I miss when developers and publishers didn't screw the consumer over in the pursuit of money. The pre-day one DLC, online passes, release now patch later etc days
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    and you go back to the video shop but the cunt hasn't returned it for about a week

Bwhahahahaha

I recently bought "Metal Slug Anthology" for the Wii. You can get unlimited continues, but you seriously need them, as the game is damn near impossible, with the amount of times you die.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    i blame auto-save checkpoints on a liberal progressive agenda to wussify gamers
    The auto save function is one of the best ideas though. I remember as a kid playing sonic the hedgehog on sega and you had to play it for like 3 or 4 hours in one sitting or something silly to complete the whole game. Cool game though.

I miss the cheats also. Back on snes, genesis, n64, playstation most of the games had a ton of cheats you could punch in and beat the game or have weird effects or characters and shit. Now to get the cheats you have to beat every difficulty on the game which kind of defeats the point of having cheats.

I really don't give a fuck about getting all the achievements, i shouldn't have to work that hard for virtual fun, give me the fucking cheats lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Steezo View Post
    karate kid or dr jekel mr hyde = hardest games ever.
    Ghouls n Ghosts was ridiculous...game used to piss me off trying to get passed the first two levels

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

I remember completing Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania and Super Mario series.

Fuck that was a lot of time spent on those games.

The video posted about the knights and medussa heads is hilarious.

I remember beuing very frustrated as a kid trying to beat that.

I Also remember Ice Climbers anyone remember that game?
    Last edited by MASTER PAI MEI; 08-28-2014 at 09:56 AM.

7 Golden Vampirez Poison Flowerz!'s Avatar

Last edited by Poison Flowerz!; 10-07-2014 at 02:09 AM.