Thread: What Wu project was the 'Drunken Master' song meant for?

Default What Wu project was the 'Drunken Master' song meant for?

Listening to an ODB/Mef comp I made a while back. Always liked this track :

I've been wondering whether it was meant for Dirt's debut (or second) or perhaps for INS' debut in its original form (track not damaged in the flood?)
    Retired.

this is Streetlife not INS

Tnx!
    Retired.

Seriously, does this track sound like 'Return to the 36 Chambers' material to you?

^^Which would have been the reason not to include it on 'Return to the 36 Chambers' in the end. Hence my question.

Recording sessions for this album were sporadic and stretched out over a considerable period of time. I could imagine a few songs not fitting in with the overall atmosphere of most other cuts from different recording sessions.

In fact, your remark makes me wonder whether any songs were actually left off 'Return to the 36 chambers'. The CD bonus tracks ('Dirty Dancin', 'Harlem World') fit in well with the actual album.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 08-13-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    Retired.

the RZA produced B-sides for the "Return to 36 Chambers" album would have fitted nicely on the album and was probably recorded in the same sessions.. i would've much rather have "Give it to Ya Raw" over that "Sweet Sugar Pie" jawn.

(^^ the Lord Digga remix - L.D. of Bluez Brothaz and Masta Ace INC - is pretty fucking ill too)

then you got some other ODB tracks from that era that appeared on 12":s and soundtracks between 1995 and early 1996 such as:

(check this quote from the 12" Discogs entry - "....This rare gem never officially released is available here for a limited time updated for '96 by the SD60's. This outtake from 1994's "Return 2 the 36 Chambers" LP is a piece of Wu-Tang history that documents the old dirty one at his dirtiest. Did we say dirty????!!!!!"

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

^^Info very much appreciated, Claaa. Thanks.

That Brooklyn Zoo remix beat fits the lyrics and flow to a tee. Good to hear this sample again after Uey's excellent 'Stomp the roach'.
    Retired.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    (check this quote from the 12" Discogs entry - "....This rare gem never officially released is available here for a limited time updated for '96 by the SD60's. This outtake from 1994's "Return 2 the 36 Chambers" LP is a piece of Wu-Tang history that documents the old dirty one at his dirtiest. Did we say dirty????!!!!!"
    This was a bootleg, but the original promo put out in 1996 can be found at the bottom of the same Discogs page:

http://www.discogs.com/Wu-Tang-Clan-...release/402785

I remember grabbing this 12" at either Upstairs Records or Beat Street back then.

^ true, but what i found interesting was the quote saying that it was produced/remixed by SD50's from an original session from "Return to 36".. dope track though, cool you having the 12"

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    ^ true, but what i found interesting was the quote saying that it was produced/remixed by SD50's from an original session from "Return to 36".. dope track though, cool you having the 12"
    I've always thought that the version listed above:

was the earlier RZA demo version w/ the same sample as "Jump Off" & the later release:

was the SD50 version

and the track from the original post was originally an ODB solo song w/o Masta or Meth (which is why their vocals sound so off)...the solo version leaked too if it's still out there

No. No. No. This is not a song recorded during the "Return To The 36 Chambers" sessions. ("Dirty Dancin'" and "Harlem World" were though. "Dirty Dancin'" came out before Dirty's album on a soundtrack, maybe that's why it's a bonus track, though the same thing happened to "Can It Be All So Simple (Remix)", "Heaven & Hell", "I Gotcha Back", "Motherless Child", and "Winter Warz", so it could be example #43580892 of a misprint on a W ) Were Ruff Ryders around when "Return To The 36 Chambers" came out? No. This is a Dame Grease-produced song. It's a collaboration dreamt up by some simple-minded A&R over at Def Jam thinking "duuuhhh he sound like Chinese like Wootang! He use shitty keyboard sounds that sound like Chinese! Dis movie kung fu mooovie that it has black guy and chinese kung fu man together like wuuting!!". This has Def Jam written all over it, with a lazy Method Man verse, and with the fact that it was released on the Rush Hour soundtrack under the name Wu-Tang Clan in 1998 or 1999. It's called "And You Don't Stop".

Old School

The original version of "And You Don't Stop" did not include Masta Killa or Meth and featured a sample of Carl Douglas' "Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting."