Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Universal Basic Income

Non Ignorant Math Team

Quote Originally Posted by WARPATH View Post
    I'm not trying to shit on your profession. It's a hard thing to do but an electricity sensing robot used to tire wire nuts, pull cable, and test voltage is not to far off in the future. It will be the tech savvy electricians that use cheap robots over human labor that will keep costs down by eliminating safety concerns and increasing production. Meaning they will be able service more contracts quicker for cheaper and making a bigger profit.
    pretty much like cnc machining then lol

NON-IGS

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

I studied this quite a bit as I earned my MS (I'm a few courses from a MBA yeah so what eat a dick). As a manager you have to consider that a computer might do the job better than a person. In the near future that will be robots.

I've already replaced the need for a records department with a digital system and it's only gonna snowball from there.

on the flip side you have to look at the benefits too:

People aren't buying music and movies anymore- they're downloading and streaming- and only playing for that premium entertainment that they want. Meaning if I buy RZA's boombox album set or whatever it's because the Artist went that extra mile. I spend my money on video games, but I also get them for free. If I want something good it's gotta be quality or I'm just gonna get it free.

These also mean an increase in quality through competition. It also means there's more desire for artists in the future because businesses will need those design skills to separate their service or products and create affordances for those interfaces in computers and products.

This probably the best solution in my opinion:

Education: Revising our educational system to make workers more adept in succeeding in an increasingly technology-focused and changing world.

The Future

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

I was watching some dude getting interviewed, I think on Fareed Zakaria's show, and he was making a case that doctors will be replaced by robots by 2050 or 2030 at the earliest.
    We do it for the people.

Will Robots Replace Doctors?

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services

Greg Freiherr has reported on developments in radiology since 1983. He runs the consulting service, The Freiherr Group.

The medical community buzzed a couple of weeks ago as word spread of technology guru Vinod Khosla’s prediction that the future of medical practice would be more robot than doctor. During the Health Innovation Summit held in San Francisco, the co-founder of Sun Microsystems and present-day Silicon Valley investor said computer-generated decisions, based on broad patient datasets, would lead to better healthcare than can be delivered by the average doctor (http://rockhealth.com/2012/09/vinod-khosla-at-hisum/).

Algorithms operated by devices seeded with artificial intelligence would provide objective analyses, he said, ones that physicians today largely cannot do because of embedded procedures and hackneyed ways of thinking about healthcare. This led Khosla to conclude that at least 80 percent of doctors could be replaced by software.

To be sure, radiologists wage battle against this kind of thinking every day. Look at the battle to reduce patient exposure to radiation. Despite a broad-based consensus that children comprise the group of patients most sensitive and vulnerable to ionizing radiation, emergency room doctors often order computed tomography (CT) scans of children with minor head injuries, when several hours of observation has been shown to be just as effective. (Donnelly, LF. Reducing Radiation Dose Associated with Pediatric CT by Decreasing Unnecessary Examinations, AJR February 2005, 184: 655-657) This is done with the support, even at the insistence, of parents.

We are, after all, humans, driven by emotion as well as reason. Fear is among the most powerful. It fuels our actions, as in the case of fear of litigation. When combined with love for a child who we fear may be severely hurt, it’s damn the radiation…fire up the CT.

In Khosla’s future, machines would call the shots. Their decisions would be based on algorithms. Some would argue, current day healthcare already is. Diagnosticians are taught to think horses not zebras; to consider common ailments before rare ones. The Hippocratic oath leads radiologists to recommend ultrasound as a first step, when possible.

What Khosla is promoting, however, is machine-based reasoning that breeds a level of objectivity unattainable by people, an objectivity based on data and applied with machine-based logic that gets sharper with experience. Underlying this argument is that machines don’t have to fight back fear or overcome love. They are incapable of either. Consequently, they can dispense cold-hearted objectivity that has the potential to make medical practice better.

I agree that such logic has the potential to make healthcare better, but only if resulting interpretations are applied by caring doctors, ones available in sufficient numbers to meet with and be part of patients’ lives.

In the end, medicine is about helping people — all people, not just those whose illnesses can be exactly determined and cured. If medical practice were reduced to algorithms, five-year survival rates would dictate treatment. Current medical practice would be an impenetrable ceiling. The concepts of fighting on, breaking the odds, faith, hope and prayer would be vanquished from medicine. And the human race would be much poorer for it.
    http://www.itnonline.com/content/wil...eplace-doctors
    We do it for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    I was watching some dude getting interviewed, I think on Fareed Zakaria's show, and he was making a case that doctors will be replaced by robots by 2050 or 2030 at the earliest.
    http://www.webmd.com/

or

Dr Knows All

^lol not just for diagnosis
    We do it for the people.

Veteran Member

That's nuts.

^lol not just for diagnosis
    I'm sure Sunny will offer you treatment via skype.

Seriously though, You stick your broken arm in a scanner/3D printer at Wal-Mart, Dr. In Bangladesh will diagnose you and print the cast right on your body. It's coming sooner then you think.