Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal Basic Income

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLO STASH View Post
    "already being developed" meaning a functioning model or just an idea so far?

And human supervised robots, that's acceptable. robot supervised robots, hell no.
    Theres a few different models that are already used for certain things, but they'll keep getting improved and used for a wider range of illnesses.

Hopefully we don't end up in a dystopian future getting our cyberbrains hacked by Hal from 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    var_gas_line := //define gas line here

IF var_wall_scan == var_gas_line THEN
    RAISE EXCEPTION 'cannot proceed';
    END IF;
    What is that? QBasic?

Idk guys. A robot would have to be exceptional smart to be an elec

Idk guys. A robot would have to be exceptionally smart to be an electrician. Father Slime is also an electrician he would back me up on this. The robot would have to be a human equivalent. And that's dangerous...

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

I don't really follow how this is any different from people living on basic welfare/benefits. I guess it aims for people to live more comfortably as opposed to simply surviving.

I'd like to think something like this would be adopted though before too many nations are allowed to go bankrupt. Greece is an example of how we don't really have a clue of how to manage countries in debt.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    One day we could wake up with all of societys problems solved. Maybe.
    I remember watching Star Trek as a kid and I used to like the idea that the human race had got rid of money and everyone worked simply for the benefit of furthering the human race. I think we are quite a way off from adopting an attitude like this as we can be pretty selfish as a race. However I feel we all have an innate drive to be competitive on some level. Perhaps if we make contact with other races we might focus more on bettering ourselves as a race, rather than a nation say.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

Can you imagine living in a world where you don't have to do a shitty job you don't like 5 days a week in order to not be homeless and starve to death?

Or if you do like your job, you can just do it as a hobby and dedicate as little or as much time to it as you want.

It seems like a magical utopia. We'll probably all be dead by the time they figure out the best way to run society for everybody.

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

I'd like a 4 day working week to be the norm, 5 days doesn't feel like a good work life balance to me. I was reading somewhere that a couple hundred years ago a 7 day working week was the norm in some western countries, then 100 years later it was voted to change to 6 and then 5 that it is now and that we were now due another change to 4. I think I'd happily take a drop in wages to work a 4 day week to pursue interests.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

Veteran Member

Ya, were due. The sooner the better, but if it drops to a four day week, I would like to see a wage increase.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6003359/...stions-explain

this is an awesome idea, it goes with how society should develop., only about 3% of the worlds population need to work, discoveries/advancements in technology show that 1 in every 900,000 people will discover/make something that will help the rest of humanity..

just a shame all that shit is patented to the militaries of the world.

'

How did you come up with 3% ?

ill dig up the book, but it was from this dude..

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    How did you come up with 3% ?
    Of course it's 3%

What else could it possibly be lol

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    The world is changing so fast. This makes more sense than the idea that somebody has claimed ownership over a piece of land or is charging you for water when these things don't really belong to anybody.

One day we could wake up with all of societys problems solved. Maybe.
    I'm not the one to argue over property rights, but potable water on tap is pennies on the dollar.

Food could be delivered on tap in the near future:

You can't make a few mistakes on a job site. People could die. It's best left up to humans. Say there's a live electrical panel open and some dumb ass robot who is made of metal bumps into it and causes a short? I'm guessing you don't know much about my job and how many factors go into it, so you can't really convince me robots can do it. They need to be AWARE of their surroundings. Awareness is a human trait.
    I actually do know enough about your job and these points your making are exactly why robots will replace electricians. Safety on the job site. It will be one electrician directing a group of robots. If a robot get's shocked? So the fuck what.

Technology is solving the awareness problem. Google has a car that drives it's self. A robot can detect gas pipes in the wall with sensors easier than a human can. They can test a live wire by touching and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guarded By Martyrs View Post
    Of course it's 3%

What else could it possibly be lol
    5%

to Lead the 85% of course.

Idk guys. A robot would have to be exceptionally smart to be an electrician. Father Slime is also an electrician he would back me up on this. The robot would have to be a human equivalent. And that's dangerous...
    I'm not trying to shit on your profession. It's a hard thing to do but an electricity sensing robot used to tire wire nuts, pull cable, and test voltage is not to far off in the future. It will be the tech savvy electricians that use cheap robots over human labor that will keep costs down by eliminating safety concerns and increasing production. Meaning they will be able service more contracts quicker for cheaper and making a bigger profit.