Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: [Album Stream] WU-TANG CLAN "A BETTER TOMORROW"

I think the main problem everyone has is those gay sung hooks. A compromise woulda been to leave all the beats the same but get rid of those hooks, did nobody try to compromise at all with RZA? If the clan had it their way, the beats woulda been less experimental and without the hooks. RZA's way (im guessing) was as released with experimental beats and those hooks. Get rid of those hooks and try to please everybody, no?

I enjoy singing on hip-hop albums when done correctly. Listen to fuckin Young Fathers "Dead" or any of The Roots last few albums, i know ATISYC didnt get as great of reviews as others but listen to "Never", "Black Rock" etc and see how perfectly the singing mixes. The singing of the singles of ABT were pure clean cut, safe, day-time R&B / pop hooks that your granny can enjoy. Nothing edgy, different, powerful just really cheesy and gay as fuck.

The beat change ups for different verses annoys me as well. On one hand it breaks the boring typical same loop over and over again for a whole tracks. On the other hand it sounds very calculated and mechanical, "oh heres Ghost, lets give him a different beat". Music is supposed to sound effortless, natural and like it all flows together. Dont change a beat if it isnt needed, and i do like a change up in beats but only when it feels natural and when it adds something to the tracks.

yo , that mistaken identity ending sounds like StreetLife vocals....shit is mad cool album the drum patterns that rza rae shit the part the beat just goes on, fav tracks are ABT and Ruckus in B Minor..Masta Killa murks it..Method Man deserves loyalty award dynamic emcee Wu Brotha #1

And I'ma remain in the scene and reign supreme and go to many extremes by any means

Quote Originally Posted by human torch View Post
    Gza uses tons of outer space rhymes, I doubt dark matter will ever come out. Considering he used the rhymes on ABT
    You might be on to something here. Good call.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    I think the main problem everyone has is those gay sung hooks. A compromise woulda been to leave all the beats the same but get rid of those hooks, did nobody try to compromise at all with RZA? If the clan had it their way, the beats woulda been less experimental and without the hooks. RZA's way (im guessing) was as released with experimental beats and those hooks. Get rid of those hooks and try to please everybody, no?
    Possibly, but on the other hand compromises might have been made that we are unaware of. First off, there is the possibility of more than 16 finished songs being considered for inclusion on the album. Was it just RZA who decided which ones made the cut, or could say for example Rae have vetoed something? I know RZA & Rae let us know that RZA played him some beats in Rae's place or whatever and then Rae picked the joints he wanted to jump on (same with Ghost.) But who is to say him or Ghost didn't say 'RZA dude, don't put that corny beat on the album, period'.

Then there's the fact RZA listened to some feedback he got off (I think it was) Ron O'Neal and cut out some of the sung intro which could be heard on the first version of the single.

We really have no idea whether and if so how many compromises were made.

In other words, maybe RZA originally envisioned (even) more sung hooks and beats people don't really feel.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-04-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Retired.

i have no problem with the live instruments and drums, i think what might have ruined it a bit is RZA went back and reprogrammed every song, so it doesn't sound as natural.

The Roots have been doing live instruments forever, and no one cares. but i think its because they are all in one room making a song together and it sounds like everyone is on the same page.

live drums can be a great thing but the key is being there when its done and not rearranging things so it stay natural over the drum rolls and fills.

i still like the album quite a bit and it gets better the more i listen to it. sounds great when im driving to work. i have gotten past all the singing hooks, they tend to fade out fast enough that you don't notice em as much.

penalty boxed user

Thumbs up

Maaan, it's been a loooong time I haven't been on this forum, but reading all this thread made me post shortly.

ABT is really an enjoyable album and a very good one. I can't understand the hate at all! I'm listening to Wu since the 90s and I'm no way disappointed by this album. I'd rather be more disappointed if they released imitations of "enter the wu 36 chambers" and proving to be a letdown.

ABT has a really special sound overall. Production is amazing! I admit, I'm not so impressed lyrically by the 9 MCs, they're not so hungry anymore and lyrics are not revolutionary, but they're at least over average hip hop nowadays. Method Man and Deck shine on this album, also Masta Killa and GZA.

Personally I can't stop listening to "Ron O'Neal", amazing beat and great overall mixture.
    "Never Let Go" is one of the best beats I heard in recent years...can't understand the hate.
    Rucks in B Minor, Necklace, Felt, Hold the Heater are pure Wu songs with clean and modern sound.
    I love "Miracle".
    Only skipable tracks for me are: Wu Tang Reunion, A better tomorrow, We Will Fight.

So for me there are at least 8 songs that I can listen to a LOT and I'm happy with them!

Just enjoy the music and stop comparing!

I don't have a problem with people hating on the album. There is nothing wrong with wanting a group to come with an album with the sound that made you a fan in the first place. That said, I don't like the fact that people keep saying Wu fell off or don't have it anymore. Listen to the lyrics and delivery and concepts, from a rapping standpoint the album is impeccable. What people don't like is the beats and hooks. Guess what, that's not proof that Wu is bad now or even that Rza can't produce more. It's not a matter of whether they can still put out quality material. It's a matter of whether or not you still like their style. I'm convinced now more than ever that if they wanted to release an album with tracks like Necklace, that the album would be everything we all wanted. I'm also convinced now more than ever that we will never hear anything like that ever again.
    Emotions are for the weak, so I sold mine to the highest bidder.

s.a.m. the 5th disciple WuZapatista's Avatar

peace fam. i read a few posts where some members said they had edited out the nathaniel vocals from the tracks. can anyone of you please hook me up with a link to those tracks or can someone please pm them to me ?

ABT keeps growing on me but i am starting to want to hear the non nathaniel versions. thanks fam. bong bong

S.A.M. the 5th Disciple

"style goes back to the days of Bob Backlund"

Am I the only person who enjoy's what Nathaniel brings to these tracks? Dood is smooth and I hate RnB

Quote Originally Posted by JZA/Jordon View Post
    Am I the only person who enjoy's what Nathaniel brings to these tracks? Dood is smooth and I hate RnB
    U R not the only person. But I like RnB. Droppin my review in a few days...

Banned

Is that the real Lizard King??
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

crappadonna

Quote Originally Posted by JZA/Jordon View Post
    I catch myself singing his hooks to myself

8 Diagrams shits on this album. Album is just wack and clearly RZA rushed it.

Abt > 8d
    STAY TUNED.

Platypi on the swarm!! RUSHING PLATYPUS's Avatar

ABT > 8 Diagrams and 8 Diagrams was dope.