Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: [Album Stream] WU-TANG CLAN "A BETTER TOMORROW"

Attack Ships On Fire Sun Tanama's Avatar

I've listened to this a few times and it has a handful of good songs where the beats and rhymes come together, but its probably the groups weakest album.

RZAs beats range from good-ish to boring indistinctive jams and the best songs are produced by others. My overall impression is that the group is done. RZA thinks his new production style is something impressive and it just isn't.

Mistaken Identity is my favorite track, the beat goes hard (the baseline, piano sounds, and guitar riffs remind me of some 36 Chambers shit), and the cast on there did great, including Streetlife on the hook. Would've been nicer with Ghostface and Rae for sure tho. Fuck em both for not participating on it.
    STAY TUNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    Agree to disagree I suppose... You're feeling it, I'm not.

I agree about the Ghost Dog beats though... I wish RZA would have kept some of those beats for The W. Imagine the Clan spitting over beats like 4 Sho Sho or The Man. And Fast Shadow is ill. Also, Buck 50 off Supreme Clientele has the same kinda feel.

Peace!
    My one problem with Fast Shadow's production, was that it was basically the Shadowboxin' beat sped up (hence the title). But yeah, it would've been great to hear them over those raw Ghost Dog beats. The beat on East New York Stamp with Jeru and Afu Ra, was literally an extension of the Sub Crazy beat on Tical ... the eerie singing part. So yeah, if those beats were on The W, it could've been great.
    STAY TUNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tanama View Post
    RZA thinks his new production style is something impressive and it just isn't.
    RZA is out of touch with his listeners, in his own little egocentric world. He knows what we really wanna hear but feels the need to force his new shit on us ...just to prove some sort of point that he's "matured" or whatever. I still think he did some good work on this lp, but he still doesn't get it, or should I say he doesn't want to get it. His new fro hawk hairstyle and weird way of dressing is visual proof of how out of touch he is with his fans.
    STAY TUNED.

Miracle is a dope track, beat wise, the atmosphere, and everybody's verses (except I hated when Ghost's part changed the beat to some electronic rock shit or whatever). The singing isn't that bad, but it's the dude's voice, he makes it sound cheesy. If it's gonna be a male vocalist, he needs to have singing chops like a Michael Jackson, Luther, Marvin Gaye, Bobby Womack or Curtis Mayfield in order to pull off a chorus like that, and not sound cheesy. This guy, like Nathaniel (assuming this was a different guy), are very mediocre, and annoying. The female vocalist that was already present on the song, should've sang the entire part, or better yet, it should've been Tekitha or Blue Rasberry. I don't get why RZA felt the need to force no name subpar male singers on us, with this album.
    Last edited by TheWuSepticTank; 11-29-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    STAY TUNED.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post
    Would have been a welcome addition for sure but I don't think anyone realistically expected him to pop up on this album. Maybe some of us did get our hopes up when INS, Ghost & Rae were featured on PWOWR, but Priest on this album was always going to be a long shot.

Killah Priest being on a Clan album is so long overdue, he should've been on Wu-Tang Forever if you ask me. How does Street and Cappa get multiple verses on there but Priest just appears (barely, "it'll be a resurrection") on the talking skit towards the end of "Bells of War"? Dafuq? But yeah, on ABT, he would've been a perfect addition for the title track or on "Miracle". It's like RZA is deliberately not allowing KP's brilliance on a Clan album. Just another of many bad RZA decisions.
    STAY TUNED.

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

THERE WONT BE A REAL WU ALBUM UNTIL PRIMO OR ALCHEMIST MAKES THE WHOLE PROJECT CAUSE RZA IS ASS

ONLY SHIT I LIKED SO FAR WAS MISTAKEN IDENTITy

AND EVEN THAT HAS SOME SOFT SINGING ON IT

I like 8D and I like ABT, but I feel the same way about both. They should have been Rza albums. Think about how many problems that change would have solved. He wouldn't have had any disputes with other clan members and no obligations to have everyone on the album. He wouldn't have had to worry about splitting money in any special way since they would have just been features. He could have pushed the concepts he wanted without any flack because it would have been his album. He could have been as experimental as he wanted without any pushback because again, it would have been his album. He wouldn't have had to deal with the expectations that come with a clan album because it would have been his album alone and people would have expected it to be different from a clan album.

The problem with Rza is the same problem with a lot of his backers on here. He doesn't just see himself as the head of Wu-tang. He sees himself as Wu-tang. As a result, every time he has a concept, he thinks that it should definitely be a Wu album. I think there would have been less strive overall and probably more success if he stuck to a certain mold for the Wu albums since that's what both his fellow members and the fans wanted, and saved his experimental shit for his own solos.
    Emotions are for the weak, so I sold mine to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
    I like 8D and I like ABT, but I feel the same way about both. They should have been Rza albums. Think about how many problems that change would have solved. He wouldn't have had any disputes with other clan members and no obligations to have everyone on the album. He wouldn't have had to worry about splitting money in any special way since they would have just been features. He could have pushed the concepts he wanted without any flack because it would have been his album. He could have been as experimental as he wanted without any pushback because again, it would have been his album. He wouldn't have had to deal with the expectations that come with a clan album because it would have been his album alone and people would have expected it to be different from a clan album.

The problem with Rza is the same problem with a lot of his backers on here. He doesn't just see himself as the head of Wu-tang. He sees himself as Wu-tang. As a result, every time he has a concept, he thinks that it should definitely be a Wu album. I think there would have been less strive overall and probably more success if he stuck to a certain mold for the Wu albums since that's what both his fellow members and the fans wanted, and saved his experimental shit for his own solos.
    Couldn't have said it any better.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDarts View Post
    That is bullshit. Forever was different to 36 and W was different to both. No one ever complained.

SC sounded zero like Ironman.

It is about quality. If anything, Wu Tang fans have shown themselves to embrace change more than most.
    Co-Fuckin-Sign

I don't know why some people on here don't get this.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Peace CT

A lot of RZA hating as I expected. But I feel Mathematics has the 2 weakest beats on the album. After a few listens now, my only main beef is the choruses. Other than that I am happy. Call me a Wu Stan, but I can live with that as I enjoy the album. Peace

I enjoy this album quite a bit....but it's definitely a different sound but I like it.....I mean would I like a 90s wu sounding album? Sure but musically this is solid. The only problem is breaking up the flow of tracks with hooks. It's funny though.....rza doesn't call wu tang a group anymore.....he calls them a band hahaha. I really enjoy this album though!
    I'm the Greatest Scientifically Inclined Mind Since Einstein!!!!

Wu-Veteran

The most annoying part of this album by far is Rzas verse on pioneer the frontier
    HORRIBLE. That beat sucks too..annoying and too bad Cuz ugod, and Masta killa ripped it

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post
    Nathaniel does suck and you are def right about Blue Raspberry and Tekitha but getting Allah Real on a track isn't really uptrading in my book. Nathaniel, Sunny Valentine, Allah Real, pretty interchangeable to me but I'm not well versed in RnB I have to admit that.
    Allah Real can't fuck with Tek and Blue but I think he is better than Nathaniel ! Even the strange girl Rza use sometimes on Afrosamurai shit and digi snax is better than Nathaniel. I was well versed in RNB and I know a woman like Erykah Badu appreciates the wu. Rza knows many singers who are far better than Nathaniel. I know wu is a family affair but a wu-tang clan album is something special ! We need the best of the best from wu family !

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tanama View Post
    I've listened to this a few times and it has a handful of good songs where the beats and rhymes come together, but its probably the groups weakest album.

RZAs beats range from good-ish to boring indistinctive jams and the best songs are produced by others. My overall impression is that the group is done. RZA thinks his new production style is something impressive and it just isn't.
    I agree the group is done ! I don't know if they will release another album ! If they do this I won't care. This is the last time I care about a group album. I hope they will do something with wu elements like True Master, Bronze Nazareth, 4th disciple and others dudes from wu galaxy or fans. They can ask fans to send them beats ! Why not !

Robert Diggs, I can not call this "new producer" Rza, live in his new world. I am happy for him but I don't like that. I don't want to hear 90s beats again. If I want to hear 90s sound, I will listen to 90s rap album. But early wu albums are timeless ! Rza was the man ! But as I think Rza is dead and now we deal with another guy.