Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRhyme (Royce Da 5'9" & Dj Premier)-PRhyme Album Stream

Quote Originally Posted by standout View Post

LMFAO

this is dope

----------------------------------------------------------

Platypi on the swarm!! RUSHING PLATYPUS's Avatar

Premo disappointed me on this. They both did.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

This is good

interview with Primo, Royce & Adrian Younge on the making of the album

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interv...n-and-sampling

haven't heard the album yet btw
    Retired.

Primo confirmed an album with Pete Rock, single will drop in January, then they will get to work on the rest of the album, which is supposed to drop in 2015.

This and some other interesting tidbits here

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...-rock-for-2015
    Retired.

Griselda Dinner Plates Brick Thunderbird's Avatar

Pretty good album. I keep running back that Jay Electronica verse, though. Fire.

"The pyramids are here to bear witness to the Gods. So when the angels heard me spit, they bit their lip, this shit is hard." - Jay Electronica

Mah nigga.
    "Return to earth as a person, only to see you mouse niggas running from the serpent" - Jus Allah

crappadonna

Shit to short, couple standouts

nada ignorante

coulda been a classic only if it was a longer album. You cant expect to drop a 9 track album and think its gonna be a classic nowadays. Only Illmatic did that.
    N.I.

its a good move for both of em imo. Obviously coulda been longer and stronger but, the fact they did this much is good.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHING PLATYPUS View Post
    Only a couple a tracks I'm feeling. Very disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRONIX View Post
    Not sounding like traditional Premo, dissapointed
    Quote Originally Posted by human torch View Post
    Shit to short, couple standouts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    coulda been a classic only if it was a longer album. You cant expect to drop a 9 track album and think its gonna be a classic nowadays. Only Illmatic did that.

It's short because it's only an EP, fuckos

this is fucking banging, a lot of people have been complaining that Preemo are only announcing project after project without following through so that he actually put out this within a few months is a real good look. Royce has some absolute classic punchlines on this, and Preemo did an amazing job with the Adrian Younge samples.. i like how it brought out some different styles out of him, as he has some times been a bit too repetitive imo.. not here.

it's funny too, i'm quite well verses in Younge's catalouge but i don't even recognize the majority of the samples on this. the most obvious one are the track with Dwele (one of my favorites too, i also love the original Delphonics song).

the guests came through for the most part, especially Jay Electronica and Killer Mike. damn, we still need that album from Jay Electronica

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

DJ Premier’s on his new project PRhyme: “I’d never done anything like it before”

“It wasn’t my idea at all, and I was actually against it at first,” said the 48-year-old producer, formerly one-half of the legendary hip-hop duo Gang Starr. “But I’d never done anything like it before, and I like to challenge myself.”

The project, which involved exclusively sampling the work of neo-soul and funk composer Adrian Younge, was suggested by Detroit rapper Royce da 5’9”, whom Premier had worked with occasionally over the last 15 years.

Premier is renowned for the signature “bounce” he brings to his tracks, a head-spinning peal of rubbery bass, cracking snares and expertly scratched samples.

But the eclectic producer, who is widely considered one of the most inventive and influential in hip-hop, is not known for limiting himself to a single artist or era to craft his instrumentals — especially when they’re as relatively recent and homage-oriented as Younge’s.

“(Younge) brings out that golden era of recording from ’68 to ’74,” said Premier. “I sat down with him in New York to talk over the music and we got a good vibe from each other, so he gave me all the instrumental tracks to his entire catalog.”

The recipe was chopped up and filled in with Premier’s bass lines and dancing drums, then Royce’s passionate, intricate rhymes and a list of high-profile guest rappers that Royce recruited largely in secret for the new project.

“(Royce) said, ‘Let’s call it PRhyme — capitol P for Premier and R for Royce,’” Premier said. “We decided to just push that name and nothing else, and that’s what we’ll be in the media and press.”

Originally planned as a mixtape EP for Royce’s Slaughterhouse project, PRhyme grew into a nine-song album that included artists such as Common, Killer Mike (of Run the Jewels), Schoolboy Q, Jay Electronica, Mac Miller and others.

That’s not exactly unexplored territory for Premier, who has worked with virtually every major name in hip-hop, or Royce, a protégé of fellow Detroit rapper Eminem who has ghostwritten tracks for Dr. Dre, Diddy and others.

But when the album was released in December on the Universal Music subsidiary PRhyme/INgrooves, it blended seamlessly into a reenergized wave of political-minded, socially-conscious hip-hop and R&B that includes D’Angelo, Run the Jewels and others advocating for racial justice in the wake of recent police shootings.

The album has been so well-received that PRhyme will release an all-instrumental version this week, followed by a deluxe edition this spring that includes five new songs.

“It’s definitely a new focus,” said Premier, who lost his longtime Gang Starr partner and emcee Guru in 2010 to a heart attack. “I became a father for the first time three years ago (with son Jalen) and Royce got sober in 2012 and has a brand-new daughter, so it’s really a refreshing move for both of us.”

Refreshing, but not exactly casual. The duo’s 26-date North American tour, which includes a March 3 show at the Bluebird Theater, came together quickly following the glowing reviews of PRhyme’s self-titled debut.

“We literally had our first rehearsal the day before our first tour date,” Premier said. “We stayed up until 8 in the morning and then got into our our Sprinter van, which is what I’m driving right now.”
    http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/0...g-like/100878/
    We do it for the people.