• 2 Needs Work

7 10.94%
  • 1 Totally Wack

2 3.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wu-Tang Clan - A Better Tomorrow

one year later

I haven't listened to a single track on this album another time since then

i think it's crazy how people are treating this album like it's a serious piece of shit. it doesn't pack the punch of previous Wu-Tang Clan albums but to call this an all-out wack album is just nuts.. it's a well produced record for sure, there's a lot of really good beats on here, RZA's ill with the combination of live instrumentation and programming. the problem is that much of it doesn't fit the vibe of the Wu-Tang Clan to the full extent, there's not any real hype shit on here and there's not much of the raw, dark and gritty (which "8 Diagrams" had plenty of). the other main problem is that much of the Clan members sound uninspired or doesn't mesh with the beats and/or eachother to well..

it's definitely my least favorite WTC album, with "Iron Flag" as the runner-up, but overall it's a solid album - easily better than some albums that gets praise here like "Golden Arms Redemption", "Birth Of A Prince" or "The Great Migration"

here's a nice, objective review that mirrors much of my own thoughts on the LP (there's obviously some stuff i disagree with but...

also remember when a lot of the major websites were invited to the listening session and publishing their thoughts - every single one of them were blown away by what they had heard but once it dropped and they noticed that many were dissapointed they jumped on that bandwagon instead..

i'm not fucking too much with "40th Street Black", "A Better Tomorrow" (seriously that's a lazy ass track from all aspects) and the corny outro called "Wu-Tang Reunion" but i still pull this out every once in a while and let it play through (listening right now)
    Last edited by claaa7; 12-11-2015 at 05:09 AM.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I think 'Miracle' is one of the best songs they've recorded as a group. The rest of the album is very good too, although theres a few missteps in there like 'Preachers Daughter'.

Its the worst group album yet from Wu, but then you can't expect a game changer or a more focussed LP than the previous ones at this point. Age does that to everybody, so you can't be mad - how many musical artists have made classic albums past the age of 40?

Most people voted A Better Tomorrow as a 4 Slammin', which has me frankly surprised. This album is no 4 out of 5. Maybe its bias favor for the Wu on this site, but this disappointment is a 2 or 2.5 at best. I voted 2 Needs work. Because it really does need work.

Namely, the beats.

That said, I enjoy a small amount of this collection of songs.

The first two singles, "Keep Watch" & the original version of "Ron O'Neal" (performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live).

"Felt"
    "Necklace"

I felt like these were the only ones resembling a slight Wu sound.

I haven't dug Cap in years but he came correct on that first single.

All in all, Raekwon was right to question RZA's new mellow directions on the last two albums, they do need 'punch-you-in-your-face' type beats, they are aggressive as a group, but he was wrong about "Keep Watch". The Nathaniel hook took some warming up to, but Math being an original Wu Element did his thing on that beat. It wasn't trash the way Rae said.
    Last edited by cbfwebs; 02-08-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    Fav Wu Members - Deck . GZA . Ghost
    Upcoming
    GZA/Genius – Dark Matter ; Liquid Swords II: The Return of the Shadowboxer * Inspectah Deck – Uncontrolled Substance 2 * Raekwon – The Purple Tape Files ; Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt. III * Ghostface Killah x MF DOOM – DOOMStarks: Swift & Changeable * Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele Presents… Blue & Cream: The Wally Era * Method Man – Crystal Meth * Method Man x Redman – Blackout! 3 ; How High 2/Too High * Masta Killa – Loyalty is Royalty (9/29)

-

I haven't heard their last album and I didn't want to after hearing 8 Diagrams album hahahahahahahahahahahaha. It's sad that they only did 2 good albums Enter The Wu Tang and Wu Tang Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

had a dream last night that I found A Better Tomorrow vinyl in a clearance bin for seventeen cents

probably overpriced

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I also have not listened to this since it dropped. Going to have to put it in rotation again soon. I must have really hated it since I have had no desire at all to go back to it since then. I have listened to Eight Diagrams hundreds of times and I pretty much feel the exact same way about it, so A Better Tomorrow must have been really repulsive to me