Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Method Man and Redman Shouldn't Have Been On Jay-Z's Hard Knock Life Tour

-

Default Method Man and Redman Shouldn't Have Been On Jay-Z's Hard Knock Life Tour

Do ya'll agree with me? The reason I say Method Man and Redman shouldn't have been on the tour is because Jay-Z is a mainstream rapper and they should've toured with underground rappers like Boot Camp Click, Mobb Deep, M.O.P., Onyx, Keith Murray, EPMD. Beanie Siegel, Memphis Bleek, Ja Rule, DMX were also on the tour and they did a movie about the tour called Backstage. I saw the movie and I liked it. The soundtrack was alright. I just wish DJ Clue hadn't been talking on all the songs since he was the one who put the soundtrack together LOL. Redman and Lady Luck did a song on the soundtrack called Come And Get It and I liked it. Prodigy also did a song on the soundtrack called Keep It Thoro which is also on his HNIC album. I love that song. I like when he said I don't give a fuck what you sold, that shit is trash hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

The thing is both Red and Meth were already established stars in their own right at that moment. I guess from a business point of view it made more sense to go on the Hard Knock Life tour.

The main thing I remember from the Hard Knock Life backstage movie is how passionately Dame Dash looked out for Roc-A-Fella Records (versus Def Jam for example), making him look like a total asshole in the process. I remember a heated argument about t-shirts or jackets which Dame didn't agree with, for example.
    Retired.

-

Yeah I remember Damon Dash had a argument with Kevin Liles who was a employee at Def Jam. Damon called Kevin a fat ass LOL. I don't know why Damon was getting his hair cut in that scene because he didn't have that much hair LOL. I was trying to find Backstage movie on Youtube because I wanted to see the previews again because I hadn't seen it in a long time. I like during the previews, they played Jay-Z's Reservoir Dogs song with The Lox, Beanie Siegel, Sauce Money. I like that song.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

that song is ill man no doubt
    Retired.

-

You know that Jay-Z sampled Isaac Hayes Shaft theme song on Reservoir Dogs? Sauce Money made me laugh when he said so many niggas on my nuts, I thought I lost my dick LOL. Styles P lyrics also made me laugh when he said I don't give a fuck who you are and I don't give a fuck when your album drops LOL. I don't care who you shot LOL. I think AZ sampled Styles P's lyrics from that song on At Night on AZ's 9 Lives album.

yeah I knew the sample, both songs are great

the 90s had a lot of great posse cuts
    Retired.

Wu-Veteran

Method Man and Redman shouldn't have been on the tour is because Jay-Z is a mainstream rapper and they should've toured with underground rappers like Boot Camp Click, Mobb Deep, M.O.P., Onyx, Keith Murray, EPMD.
    NO.
    thats one of the most backwards things ive ever read on this forum. So they shouldve said no to enhancing their fanbase beyond the "underground" ?
    Those artists u listed wouldve loved to get on that tour. Red & meth were one of the few that couldve pulled that off..and they did. The gained alot of fans off that tour.

Red and Meth aren't undergound artists, especially back then.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

lol @ those artists being 'underground'

-

What makes you think those rappers I named aren't underground? I wouldn't call them mainstream. Styles P's lyrics that AZ sampled on At Night song was from Ruff Ryders song Ride Or Die. I thought AZ had sampled his lyrics from Jay-Z's Reservoir Dogs.

method man is one of the most recognizable faces in hip hop - platinum records, tv shows, movies - that is definitely not underground

besides, doing shows is these rappers livelihoods. its like telling them they shouldn't have a job. Even if they were underground that would be more reason to do that concert for the money and exposure

-

Just because Method Man has gotten a couple of platinum albums and has done some movies and a few tv shows doesn't mean that he's mainstream. He's still a underground rapper. You don't see him doing songs with mainstream rappers do you? LOL. When Wu Tang first came out, they were underground and they're still underground. They haven't had any successful albums in a long time. I know they got a couple of platinum albums as a group but most of the group members haven't had any success on their solo albums. Why would Method Man and Redman care about trying to get some exposure on a mainstream rapper's tour? They shouldn't care about that if they love being underground. Underground rappers care about lyrical skills and mainstream rappers don't care about that because all they care about is selling records and getting their songs played on the radio. You don't see most underground rappers touring with mainstream rappers so they can get a lot of people to know who they are. I'm sure underground rappers could care less about trying to get a lot of people to know who they are.

Well tbh there were a few high profile collabos back in the day.

And this one was big in Europe but was actually meant for the US market.

Ill beat. I have no idea whether this song performed well if at all on the US charts.

Meth was also on a lot of high profile soundtracks, but so were some of the other Wu members of course. Meth was probably on the highest numbers of OSTs because he was on Def Jam.

Then there was this high profile collabo on Clue's Professional 2
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-17-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Retired.

-

I remember some of those songs but I didn't know he did a song with Limp Bizkit and I don't know why he did that LOL. Method Man hasn't had a good selling album since his 2nd solo album LOL. Didn't his 3rd album go gold? I think it did. Redman hasn't had a gold album since Malpractice. I was surprised Doc's Da Name was his first platinum album. His first 3 albums should've went platinum because those are his best. I bet if Method Man and Redman were on a independent record label, their albums wouldn't have sold well but that's ok because they're good rappers. Good underground rappers to me will always be better than wack mainstream rappers. They had some earlier success because Def Jam is a well known record company even though the label started out independent.

-

I didn't know Method Man did a song with Eminem and Royce Da 5'9. 5th State, check out Method Man's collabo with Jayo Felony and DMX called Whatcha Gonna Do. That's my jam and it's on Jayo's album of the same name. I was disappointed Jayo hasn't done several albums because he's a good rapper and he disappeared after Crip Hop album which came out in 2001. He was supposed to come out with a album after Whatcha Gonna Do called Hotter Than Fish Grease on Def Jam but it never came out. I think that's why he left Def Jam. I think the songs that were on Crip Hop were probably from Hotter Than Fish Grease because Hotter Than Fish Grease song is on Crip Hop. He also did a song dissing Jay-Z and Beanie Siegel on Crip Hop called Catch Em In The Mornin and the song is funny. He called Beanie fat boy and he said that Beanie ran from him when he confronted him LOL. Now that I would have to see because I can't picture Beanie being afraid of any black man LOL.