Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would "CL2" been better had it been closer to the Wu sound/the original 2006 vision?

Default would "CL2" been better had it been closer to the Wu sound/the original 2006 vision?

this question really interests me at this point.. when "Cuban Linx II..." dropped i was blown away by how dope i thought it was, and i still think it's a very strong effort from Chef but i also feel that he threw way too many songs on there, ruining the cohession and much of the album feel.. with 24 tracks from so many producers it's impossible that it doesn't come off quite like a mixtape at times. most of the music is BANGING on there though so that's not my gripe at all.. i just want to know if the other songs would have been better released as a separate album with some new songs. for example the Scram Jones and Alchemist tracks are FIRE but they take away from the flow of the album bc they don't sound anything to what RZA and J Dilla supplied.

i been listening to a quickly put together version in my phone with this tracklist. using only, or almost only, songs confirmed to have been recorded in 2006 in various articles.. i also included the True Master tracks from "Master Craftsman", i remember hearing 'Olympus' was originally supposed to be on the album, and "Batman & Robin" definitely sound like it wiht all the Purple Tape references. i also must say that killing songs like "State of Grace" and "Rockstars" from the album was a huge mistake. this version really puts the emphasis back on Deck, GZA and Ghost all playing the parts Starks played on Pt. 1.

01. "State Of Grace"
    02. "House Of Flying Daggers"
    03. "Sonny's Missing"
    04. "Pyrex Vision" (* not sure when recorded)
    05. "Rockstars & Smoking Barrells"
    06. "Black Mozart"
    07. "White Cloud Olympus" (*)
    08. "New Wu"
    09. "Have Mercy" (Ft. Blue Raspberry & Beanie Sigel) (*)
    10. "Ason Jones"
    11. "10 Bricks"
    12. "Baggin' Crack"
    13. "Gihad" (*) (this sounds very Wu-ish to me though)
    14. "About Me"
    15. "Khareem Khan / We Will Rob You"
    16. "Batman & Robin"
    17. "Thug World"
    18. "Weak Spot" (w. GZA & RZA) [confirmed to've been thought about for 'CL2' in HHC issue June 2006)
    19. "Mean Streets"

give this version a chance, it's a very interesting listen, use that "Thug World" full fanmade cut from that other recent thread. you can actually hear a musical and lyrical theme throughout this, with guest cast, main producer, and guest producers and it flows really well though i'm sure the sequencing and tracklist can be improved on. the other "8D" song confirmed to at one point have been meant for "Cl2" is the RZA solo, "Sunlight", but i never dug that one and it would sound horrible on here, i think.. i should try out though to see if they maybe had a solid idea there, though i strongly doubt it. was "You Won't Stop Me Now" at one point "CL2"-slated? can't remember any more.. think it was though

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

No, because raekwon is a shitty musician. He's a good lyricist but it ends there. Rza used to be a good musician, but now he's a shitty musician and a shitty lyricist so he can't be relied on. He has no where to go as far as making a good album because his fanbase is stagnate and not into rap music anymore due to age and cultural shifts, and he can't afford other producers.

He's also trying to distance himself from being a part of Wu-tang because he believes, as most unsuccessful wutang members do, that it's handicap and not a plus so it would make him very angry to do something wutangish (as it always does).

He's also not into hip hop anymore like when he was young so the project, as most of his work since the 90s will sound like a collection of chores and not music.

So though the non existent 2006 version would sound slightly better than the current version, it would byproduct of the fact that in 2006 the carbon dating of his interest in hip hop music and culture as well as confidence in himself and wutang wouldn't be as diminished as today.

either way, nobody would be listening to an 2006 version of CL in 2007, because nobody listens to any of the songs listed above due to what I've said prior. So it wouldn't even matter

any wu album post 2000 would have been better if it was closer to the wu sound

that aside I never was a big CLII fan even right when it was released and wucorp was hailing it as the second coming. Pyrex Vision and Black Mozart are dope.

Claaa7 you should upload that version if you get the chance. Do you think there's enough 2006 tracks to make a 2006-only version too? I might give it a shot. Also check your pm

Veteran Member

According to Cilvaringz, Execution in Autumn had Rae and U God verses that were supposed to be on the original version of Thug World. Also, RZA's verse on it also sounds like it could've been recorded for the OG Thug World.

I too have been curious about the original version of CL2. I have a feeling that it was (nearly) completed before Rae added to it.

Does anyone remember where it was mentioned that Olympus was slated for CL2? I'm sure Weak Spot was since I remember reading the article, as well as You Can't Stop Me Now.

Perhaps the early version had more of a cohesive sound to it.

Yeah i thought CL2 was vastly overrated. It didnt just lack cohesion like most post 00 Wu albums, it was so disjointed it sounded like a mixtape to me.

Dont get me wrong, it was still a banger and had some great tracks, but too all over the place. And this came during Alchemists worst production era imo, dude is dope as fuck the last couple of years but i hate his beats on here.

Banned

didn't Raekwon film a video for CL2 where he was in Miami on a boat? if i remeber correctly, that song got cut from the album? not sure what it was though.

also, off CL2 topic, on Fast Cars on Birth of a Prince, Rza shouts out Raekwon and Ice Water even though Rae wasn't on the track. Was that supposed to be a Lex Diamond track?

PRODIGAL SUN UncontrolledSubstans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    didn't Raekwon film a video for CL2 where he was in Miami on a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by tsa View Post
    he's a good lyricist

Quote Originally Posted by tsa View Post
    now he's a shitty musician and a shitty lyricist.

Quote Originally Posted by mumm ra View Post
    any wu album post 2000 would have been better if it was closer to the wu sound.

Interesting point of view, Claa and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely give this version a try.

State of grace was for me definitely a track that represented cl2 till the moment actual cl2 dropped. I always wondered why it was cut off the final version. It would be nice if questions regarding original cl2 were addressed to Raekwon in future interviews.

CL2 is the last great Wu release and the best since Supreme Clientele

Melf Nederlandse lifestyle & hiphop community. Voor bazen. De beste website van de wereld.[

great album but a bit too long to make it an absolute classic, shorter version might work better, same goes for Ghostface's Fishscale

CL2 too long and over rated though a decent release.

best beats are by RZA/Necro/Dilla.

Best songs are RZA produced and Gihad is a classic. though i barely remember rae's verse cos ghost murders the whole shit.

Black Mozart is so ill. Deck is dope...they all suck without rza basically...except ghost.

and meth pretty versatile too.

well, they don't suck, but they'll never ever make a classic without him.
    It's the god, god.

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigKing.nl View Post
    CL2 is the last great Wu release and the best since Supreme Clientele
    No Said Dates blows CL2 out of the water IMO.

I wish we got it in 2006. The actual release was weak and dull. I don't understand why it gets so much praise. It would have been a better sequel to Lex Diamond Story.

The first glimpse of CL2 we got was State of Grace which was fucking incredible. Pretty sure I was sitting at my computer with a semi and did a slow clap when i first heard it. Nothing CL2 related ever came close to that track and it didnt even make the album

You forgot baggage handlers too