Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Forbes) Once Upon a Time in Shaolin to be sold at Paddle-8 auction

Default (Forbes) Once Upon a Time in Shaolin to be sold at Paddle-8 auction

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomal...-secret-album/

Congrats Tarik and best of luck on the sale!

PEACE
    Last edited by JZA/Jordon; 01-07-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Thanks. Not online sale thougg. It's a private sale.

Sorry, tried to alter title. Online auction house site Paddle-8

Mods can u update?

Peace CT

Only newsworthy if I can actually purchase this album and listen to it when I choose. Which I assume is still unlikely. Just my opinion. Peace

That says they haven't got nearly what they were asking, because it just would have sold already. Anyone that would pay millions for an album is really foolish with their money- as most people don't even pay for their music and just get it online. Most songs by any artist just sound the same anyhow, so rarely does an artist have something so new , you just have to have it, especially from an group that at this point is an "oldies" group. If their commercial album did not do well, why would anyone pay millions-shit, you could get them to perform live at your house for that money and make them play all those songs per the performance contract. Bet you they would not turn it down and you could probably pay half that album price Just saying

Platypi on the swarm!! RUSHING PLATYPUS's Avatar

I fall in the don't give a fuck category until I can hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinfullycute View Post
    That says they haven't got nearly what they were asking, because it just would have sold already. Anyone that would pay millions for an album is really foolish with their money- as most people don't even pay for their music and just get it online. Most songs by any artist just sound the same anyhow, so rarely does an artist have something so new , you just have to have it, especially from an group that at this point is an "oldies" group. If their commercial album did not do well, why would anyone pay millions-shit, you could get them to perform live at your house for that money and make them play all those songs per the performance contract. Bet you they would not turn it down and you could probably pay half that album price Just saying
    It's just ego and greed, the album was hyped up massively. all news and media outlets were talking about it.

The offers of $4-$5M were not enough? apparently not..

I bet once Rza was involved with this album he wanted what? 70-75% of the sale price?

All in the name of art as well.. yes... ofcourse it was..

The greed out did the hype.

Unlucky Ringz.
    Last edited by Origin™; 01-07-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHING PLATYPUS View Post
    I fall in the don't give a fuck category until I can hear it.
    After the release of ABT I wouldn't want to hear this anyway
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

The first thing I have a problem with is how shady this all is.

Nearly a year ago, the Wu-Tang Clan shocked the music world with an announcement too bizarre for fiction: the hip-hop collective had recorded a secret double album dubbed The Wu –
    Once Upon A Time In Shaolin
    ^ This is a lie anyone on here knows this album was not recorded by the Wu-Tang Clan has a Wu-Tang album before last year it was a Cilvaringz album and you even admitted that only a handful of them recorded in front of you instead most emailed you there verses and on top of that you paid them to spit verses like how any DJ or producer would on his album.

If it was a Clan album they would not get paid per verse and while on that matter I bet they did not agree to what your doing now and just thought it was your album before realising you are now asking millions of dollars for an album that without them would not be a blip on the radar of Wu fans let alone Forbes and the 1%.
    The fact is 50% of people think this is a collection of unreleased Wu tracks from the Wu-Forever era and the others think its a real Wu-Tang record this is false advertisement and now makes alot more sense to why you deleted post's and threads about this album.

Originally Posted by Origin™
    I bet once Rza was involved with this album he wanted what? 70-75% of the sale price?
    And damn right he should he build the Wu without him no one except Gza would have an album.
    Lets face facts if you have ridden the coat tails of a group and eat from there table when you have done nothing in the sense of building the foundations of Wu-Tang let alone contributed to the past 20 years in fact name one thing other then this album that has made any sort of impact in the clan's history...
    In fact name one Wu-Tang Clan album you have had any involvement in.

And to even talk about taking hip hop and placing it in to the elite world like its a good thing is an absolute joke, you and the Rza (has he should of known better) are the biggest SELL OUTS in hip hop history. the corporate powers that be diluted it, packaged and sold it to the masses.
    You have sold it to the 1%
    Last edited by zu fam; 01-07-2015 at 04:42 PM.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by zu fam View Post

to even talk about taking hip hop and placing it in to the elite world like its a good thing is an absolute joke, you and the Rza (has he should of known better) are the biggest SELL OUTS in hip hop history. the corporate powers that be diluted it, packaged and sold it to the masses.
    You have sold it to the 1%

Totally agree my man.. the way it's all been handled is some serious snake shit. for lack of a better phrase it's some jew shit.

Complete slap in the face to what HipHop culture is.

But we got to remember it's in the name of "art"

It's just some old white man jew shit plain and simple.

Platypi on the swarm!! RUSHING PLATYPUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    After the release of ABT I wouldn't want to hear this anyway
    Why?

what is everybody really getting worked up about? it was going to be a double album sold in the regular way until Ringz realized people were going to download the shit out of it as they did with so many other wu releases. and it would have hardly been a blimp on the radar in terms of wu history that way. so the 1 copy album thing makes a lot of sense to me, still, as a financial statement and definitely as an artistic statement. it still makes sense to me how this elevates an album to a unique piece of art and how it can get some people to start thinking about music as an art form differently.

I get how many people are disappointed because they closely followed up on the creation of this album in a thread on this site, especially with the long wait (mixing and mastering process in particular) but maybe we should consider that an artist can do as he pleases with his work and also that he is allowed to change his mind about things. if Ghostface wants to release his next album as lyrics printed on hot air balloons on their way to the Fijis then so be it.

same with the boombotix thing. I might not be overly enthusiastic about the boombotix concept, but if that's how RZA wants to release some of his own production work then so be it - cuz it's his music. artists should control the market, not fans.

maybe somewhere down the line because of things like kickstarter some of us started thinking that we as fans can make things happen the way we want them to. and sometimes it works like that - fortunately - but it doesn't always work like that.

part of this reminds me of what art vandelay stated in a thread yesterday about odb material on a new boombotix thingy, all of this wouldn't happen if fans massively bought the music they enjoyed. and yeah, i download shit too and if I like it I'll buy it (next to a few automatic first day purchases) but I don't go bitching about how artists should do this or that when they release their own product.

also reminds me of what 9th wonder said about the whole iggy azalea / banks beef - invest in music you like instead of bitching about music you don't like. like, actually paying for music. and yeah, you can't buy this particular body of music, but shit happens. it's like people asking about getting that Warcloud Alcatraz album in another thread. if people don't want to share it (I don't have it), then so be it. just accept you can't always get what you want.

then there's also this carefully concealed jealousy thing. cuz a lot of money is involved some people are automatically gonna hate. I bet if someone on the forum won the lottery big time there'd be a lot of hate towards that guy too.

I'd understand all of this better if there were only like five records in the whole wu discography but most of us have piles upon piles of releases. let's keep it real, we all have lots of wu fam albums we haven't listened to in months, maybe years, maybe just enjoy some albums we already have and wait for the next few to come out. none of these cats have retired, plenty more music coming in the next few years.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post
    what is everybody really getting worked up about? it was going to be a double album sold in the regular way until Ringz realized people were going to download the shit out of it as they did with so many other wu releases. and it would have hardly been a blimp on the radar in terms of wu history that way. so the 1 copy album thing makes a lot of sense to me, still, as a financial statement and definitely as an artistic statement. it still makes sense to me how this elevates an album to a unique piece of art and how it can get some people to start thinking about music as an art form differently.

I get how many people are disappointed because they closely followed up on the creation of this album in a thread on this site, especially with the long wait (mixing and mastering process in particular) but maybe we should consider that an artist can do as he pleases with his work and also that he is allowed to change his mind about things. if Ghostface wants to release his next album as lyrics printed on hot air balloons on their way to the Fijis then so be it.

same with the boombotix thing. I might not be overly enthusiastic about the boombotix concept, but if that's how RZA wants to release some of his own production work then so be it - cuz it's his music. artists should control the market, not fans.

maybe somewhere down the line because of things like kickstarter some of us started thinking that we as fans can make things happen the way we want them to. and sometimes it works like that - fortunately - but it doesn't always work like that.

part of this reminds me of what art vandelay stated in a thread yesterday about odb material on a new boombotix thingy, all of this wouldn't happen if fans massively bought the music they enjoyed. and yeah, i download shit too and if I like it I'll buy it (next to a few automatic first day purchases) but I don't go bitching about how artists should do this or that when they release their own product.

also reminds me of what 9th wonder said about the whole iggy azalea / banks beef - invest in music you like instead of bitching about music you don't like. like, actually paying for music. and yeah, you can't buy this particular body of music, but shit happens. it's like people asking about getting that Warcloud Alcatraz album in another thread. if people don't want to share it (I don't have it), then so be it. just accept you can't always get what you want.

then there's also this carefully concealed jealousy thing. cuz a lot of money is involved some people are automatically gonna hate. I bet if someone on the forum won the lottery big time there'd be a lot of hate towards that guy too.

I'd understand all of this better if there were only like five records in the whole wu discography but most of us have piles upon piles of releases. let's keep it real, we all have lots of wu fam albums we haven't listened to in months, maybe years, maybe just enjoy some albums we already have and wait for the next few to come out. none of these cats have retired, plenty more music coming in the next few years.
    If I could believe it was actually to benefit the culture I'd agree with you.. this shit was getting offers for $5m my dude.. 5 million...

Rings knows he's sat on the crown jewels of Wutang music.. even more so now ABT has released it's it pretty obvious Rza cannot deliver a Wu album the fans actually want.

I like Ringz, he's a good dude, the man has put in work, so don't take my view on this shit as an attack on him. I just personally think Rza being involved in this shit was a bad mistake.

All the intereviews I seen involving this album all about Rza, how this new Rza album going to be incredible, How Rza forged Ringz from the basic elements of the earth. hahaha

Simple fact is Ringz can supply the people with the shit they want Rza to go back to creating.

Wu as a group are done now, 2 flops in 14 years..

Thankfully Ghost and Rae keeping the legacy going.

The only thing that can save Wu as a group is in a golden box in the middle of the desert, locked away haha

At the end of the day though I guess it's a pointless argument, nothing anybody says will have any influence on how any of it plays it.

I think 5th State got close to the best solution here when he mentioned kickstarter. If Ringz and RZA are worried about people pirating their music and not making enough money off it, why don't they just put it up on kickstarter and wait until they get "x" amount of dollars for it then release it?

That way the fans that are able to pay for it get it, the artists get their money, and whoever wants to pirate can probably still do so. It seems like a win-win-win