Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yall really dont like ABT?

Default Yall really dont like ABT?

I'm not saying it was the natural progression that anyone would have had in mind in 97, but let's be honest, the Clan was a lot different of an assortment of ppl in 93 than 97 than in 2014.

There's just a certain fire and fuck the world mentality they can't tap into anymore, it doesn't resonate with them. How could it, they're either rich or moderately well off and don't have near the struggle in their personal lives that existed in the cream days. Rae said that was a beat from 89 that had been under wraps for him by RZA (he asked for it and RZA kept his word).

Rae and Ghost bust guns at each other in the past. Ghost did a robbery before they went out to Steubenville right as Wu was making things happen.

That doesn't happen in 2014. Ghost isn't throwing 50 cent down stairs anymore. They don't have the raw aggression against the world in general or the rap world.

They're chilling, coming at the world on a peace tip. Supposedly even back in the recording stages of "The W", RZA was ripping mics on a Gravediggaz-esque tip. Rae told him to holp back and not rhyme on the album much. They're on a more subdued subtle god body tip rather than the hit you in the face with it like in 97.

I won't say this album was truly invigorating or satisfying in the true sense of the world. When it comes down to it, they can't relight the candle in the same way, but in life people change and Wu still do have some fire in their chambers; just in a different more relaxed way, ala Rae and GZA.

Doesn't mean they're not still spitting darts.

There was one day I was so high I didn't understand why people hate on 8D so much. I was talking to my friend who summed it up well; "It's just not wu tang music." It was a new progression and it was something heavy. Rushing elephants for example along with a few other cuts were powerful. Life changes is touching on the right day in a more spiritua way.

Anyway, today l fully understand that it's not the hard hitting shit that makes you want to take on whatever like Supa Ninjaz off the Pillage. I wish there was more of that shit in the world (outside Morocco). That said it's not really coming from the Wu. They're coming at the world like a respected uncle dropping jewels, not a hungry cat trying to flex on the world and show off their dexterity.

I thought Reunion, the track with the wake up sample, ruckus in b minor and a few more tracks were pretty unique and added to the discography as a whole.

At the end of the the day I'm really grateful to RZA. He was in a no win situation. The Clan is no longer hungry. We give Rae props for keeping the sound alive and he does no doubt, same for Ghost... but neither of them is dropping tracks like New Wu or the dilla track posse cut off obfcl2 on the regular. It comes out but Ghost is on more of a soul tip and even Cilva when asked how he got Rae to sound like he did on wedeping tiger had no real answer. Said Rae just did it.

The critics and fans were gonna pan RZA no matter what. No one was gonna be happy, clan members included who bitched about pay. RZA said he lost money on the album. Just wanted to put out a connclusion. About 8D he said something along the lines of "I know it's not the hard wu everyone's asking for, but it's more of an album for a sunday afternoon. It's another chamber."

I'm gonna be fully honest, it doesn't stand alongside Ironman. Probably not even for 30 seconds of any track. Still, ABT had some joints. Some truly good songs to come out of such a mess that the modern day clan created over money because RZA wanted to put out a closing album.

I'm not mad at that.
    Non Ignorants

RIP

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

I'm not mad at Rza or the album it's just not what I want to listen to, tbh i dont even listen to many Wu tracks anymore instead am listening to instrumentals of the older classic i never get tired of older rza beats
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Veteran Member

Well said Bro, Well said
    WU-TANG FOREVER.
    GHANA REPRESENTING

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER BEARDLY View Post

RZA was ripping mics on a Gravediggaz-esque tip.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
    I'm not mad at Rza or the album it's just not what I want to listen to, tbh i dont even listen to many Wu tracks anymore instead am listening to instrumentals of the older classic i never get tired of older rza beats
    True. As I said many times, it's a good hip hop album (in this era) but not I wanna hear. Personally older wu albums like the ones that released in 93-97 are unique. They are not just hip hop albums, it's art. With these albums RZA and the wu set the standard too high. The beats were creative, fresh and powerfull. I consider that the wu is dead and they are like zombies. It's time RZA and fans stopped this state of denial and faced reality. I won't buy a wu tang clan album no more. If I want to hear wu shit, I will go and listen older shit. Music shit nowaday is wack as hell.

Platypi on the swarm!! RUSHING PLATYPUS's Avatar

I like it a lot. Don't get me wrong. It has some cringeworthy moments. It's not absolutely phenomenal like much of their early work, but it's a good album. I'm glad they put it out as I'm certainly enjoying it.

Makadocious

i like ABT as much as i like 8D.
    Live instrumentals are crazy, gives the Wu a fresh sounds these electronic music times.
    good thang that we didnt get no auto-tune. only a few chorus sucked. and too much Cap LOL. would've be better to put Nas,Red or KP to give the album A Better Tomorrow. i loved the way ODB appeared on the album. like his spirit was still hanging there with the Wu. even Wu-Tang Reunion song gave me chills.

It's pretty fucking obious this isn't the '93 Wu anymore, yet folks keep repeating that.

This album is just really boring to me. Should I force myself to listen to it because they were once the best group out there?

De mijne is 4x duurder!

While I wished the album had more of nineties feel, I still dug a lot of these joints. All in all it made for a pretty cohesive effort (bar some choruses). Some verses could have been sharper, but flow wise this was still a good effort.

Jasper, I think you summed things up pretty well, man.
    Retired.

the album sucks b. no way around it. its not good music. period. not that its not the "Wu Sound" or any of that stuff...its just not dope. there's a track here or there sure...but most of it sounds waaaaay uninspired. there's a reason rae and ghost are not feeling it. ITS NOT GOOD. lol. im not giving rza anymore excuses. he's my all time favorite producer. but cmon man. sometimes you gotta admit when its not happening anymore. to make matters worse...outside of rae and masta killa...i wasnt really feeling the lyrics on the record either. this is the first time ive heard a wu album and thought "I would kill these niggas on these joints". im nice but im not supposed to feel that way lol.

I've listened to the album at least 30 times, and I enjoy it thoroughly

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    I remember when Rae said this. It pisses me off cos I wanted to hear more of RZA and tgat style and tbe jewels he had to drop. Rae was saying RZAs too scientific, but we dont all wa a hear just Rae and his type of tipics it gets boring!!

The album is fire!!!

cuz i never was hardcore "wu sound" fan, i like this album. can listen to it whitout skipping songs.

edit: wrong thread
    Last edited by Kutman; 01-14-2015 at 11:38 AM.