23. You may not vote on this poll
  • U-GOD

10 43.48%
  • Masta Killa

13 56.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masta Killa or U-GOD?

Default Masta Killa or U-GOD?

These draw inevitable comparison for a number of reasons. both had very few apperances on "36 Chambers", both are sometimes mentioned to be more of a team player than a solo artist in his own right, they were the two respectively last to release debut albums, etc.

who do you think is the better/more enjoyable emcee, and how do their catalouges compare, and what do you base that opinion on?

personally i think i'm gonna go with U-GOD on this, i just like his raw energy and deep baritone voice. he's had some remarkable verses throughout his career - "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'", "Severe Punishment", "Impossible", "Triumph", "Black Jesus", "Knuckleheadz" (always loved his verse on that which is further powered by the beat switch"), etc. More recently he knocked everyone out the park with perhaps the sickest performance of all on the "8 Diagrams" album.

on the solo tip i think Masta Killa's first album is a more cohessive listen than anything Uey has come up with yet. All of his albums have some interesting, dope shit but there's always some stuff i'm not feeling at all. and then there's "Mr. Xcitement" which still stands as the worst Wu release of all time (though the first track is crazy ill and forgotten bc of the wack album it appears on).. still he sort of redeemed himself with "Dopium" and "Keynote Speaker", both pretty good albums.

thinking about it now, i'm not so sure anymore.. i think on Clan albums i'd give one up to U-God but when discussing solo albums i'd give the edge to Masta Killa, even though his last album felt very half assed to me.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Peace CT

Masta Killa for me all day. He might even be in my top 3 right now for the generals. I do agree his last 2 solos were eh though. But he brings his "A" game to any guest spot and the Clan albums. I like ABT, but take him off it and I probably dont like it. Peace

nada ignorante

U-God.
    N.I.

Quote Originally Posted by josborne3680 View Post
    Masta Killa for me all day. He might even be in my top 3 right now for the generals. I do agree his last 2 solos were eh though. But he brings his "A" game to any guest spot and the Clan albums. I like ABT, but take him off it and I probably dont like it. Peace
    that's interesting you'd put him that high. he definitely has some mindblowing verses.. i'm a fan of "Made in Brooklyn" actually, there's some BS tracks on there sure but there's some absolutely fantastic tracks on there that i rarely see even mentioned. i think it's actually quite underrated:

"Pass the Bone Remix" - used to love GZA's version back in the days so this was real fresh to hear, "East NY MC's" - wow that beat man, "Ringing Bells" - classic Masta Killa all around, one of his best solo tracks ever for me, "It's What It Is" - wow, this is too good, classic Wu track, "Street Corner" - i was a fan of the original version but when I heard Deck set it off I was blown away, etc.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

that's a tough call

both are definitely dope in there own right. but I always been a U God fan. bar Mr.Xcitement his solo albums have always been enjoyable to listen to and he just got dope style.

Masta Killa does have No Said Date which is a great album, even Made in Brooklyn has its moments.

its hard to not like both a lot

somewhat underrated U-GOD tracks... did Leathafase and Uey have a falling out?

Banned

On Clan albums and guest spots then it's not even close IMO Masta Killa by a mile. On the songs mentioned in the OP that both were on then Masta Killa has the better verse each time, especially on "Da Mystery of Chessboxin" and other tracks like "Winter Warz" . His verse on "Wu Gambinos" is ill too and better than U-God's "Knuckleheadz" verse. Masta Killa also has the better solo Clan track too. I really can't think of any time U-God outshined Masta Killa on a clan album in the first 4 albums or on guest spots on other generals' albums. That's not to say that U-God is wack or anything I like U-God and, he holds his own and had a dope verse himself in most of those songs with MK.

Solo, I would go with U-God because he has as many good albums as Masta Killa has released but Masta Killa has the best album between the two.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

^ i think U-God was by far better on "Triumph".. perhaps not the content of the verse as Masta had some crazy shit in his verse, but the performance and delivery was just hype. that's one of my favorite parts of "Triumph", when the beat breaks down, ODB comes in and the beat kicks in again with U-God going IN

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    ^ i think U-God was by far better on "Triumph".. perhaps not the content of the verse as Masta had some crazy shit in his verse, but the performance and delivery was just hype. that's one of my favorite parts of "Triumph", when the beat breaks down, ODB comes in and the beat kicks in again with U-God going IN
    Word, Uey brought the energy like he always does on that track but MK's lyrics were sharp. I guess when you look at the posse cuts or tracks with a few members Uey usually starts it off - on Triumph he's kinda re-starting the track when you think about it - and MK is towards the end, that energy U-God brings is good starter and Masta Killa can just finish with some on point lyrics, except for 9 Mili Bros

I think it really comes down to personal flavour between choosing one over the other, if you like that aggressive hardbody energy you'll go U-God but if you're about razorsharp lyrics you'll go Masta Killa
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I think U-God is easily the greater MC, especially in his prime. People can dislike Redemption for the beats or whatever reasons but he went off on that album in ways Masta never has or could

that being said I still voted Masta Killa because I like his music better. I think all of his albums are good to great and his unique delivery is still dope

wait sorry claaa7 I normally always agree with you but for me its Masta Killa all day long!
    No said date is a classic in MY eyes!
    And MK is the only general that gets 100% respect for loyalty he is the only general that has not dissed the Wu ever!
    U-god on the other hand has gone back and forth like a bitch for years even going has far to release an entire DVD dissing the Wu and didn't he start Hillside scramblers to try and leave however that didn't work and he came back with his tail between his legs.

MK's verse on here is just something else!

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    did Leathafase and Uey have a falling out?
    IIRC Leathafase accused Uey of stealing one (or several?) of his hooks for an album (I think it was on Mr Excitement)

MK : consistent verses, flow can get monotonous at times
    1st solo album : great, a real return for the Wu, but not a very cohesive feel (he had been sitting on a lot of those tracks for a long time, it's really more like a compilation, for example Digi Warfare is a good track but kind of sounds outta place to me)
    2nd solo album : good tracks, some beats were just plodding along though
    3rd solo album : meh
    on clan albums : guy has always been an asset, very good on ABT most recently

Uey : has vastly improved over the years, used to be good for a few hot verses, couldn't hold down a full solo album (also RZA didn't provide him with the heat on his debut)
    last 2 solos were very enjoyable
    on clan albums : dope on 8D and ABT

ATM I'm going with Uey but it's a close call

good thread, props

I voted Masta Killa, but it really depends on beat. U-God sounds amazing on certain beats

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

nada ignorante

U-Gods verse on Black Jesus alone kills just about all verses from Masta. UGods albums are also better lyrical and delivery wise the only thing debateable is the album production.
    N.I.

Imma go wit U-God, he displays more personality on the mic even though Masta Killa sometimes has better lyrics

what I'd like to hear is a U-God x Masta Killa x Inspectah Deck album or EP (like Wu Massacre), with lots of INS production, maybe one or two RZA beats. obviously this will never happen, but I did burn a few compilation albums some years back with all combos of these 2 / 3 artists, good stuff

btw while U-God has gotten more consistent and Masta Killa has remained his reliable self INS' verses have become more mundane (dumbing it down on purpose?) so if this were a 3 way pole INS would come in last for me at the moment
    Retired.