Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface/BBNG - Sour Soul (Review)

I like the concept albums, we already have like a dozen of regular Ghost albums.

ghost sounds kinda silly these days.

FRESH FISH

The reviewer's not saying anything people here haven't said. Ghost's been phoning it in for a while. It's been a slow decline since Fishscale, the temperature just fell in temperature so slowly we just noticed it's cold now.

Yeah, Pitchfork can be spotty with hip-hop. What they choose to review, what they choose not to review. Overly praising some rap, overly hating some rap. But not EVERYTHING they say is off point.

I also agree that 12 Reasons > 36 Seasons.

there have hardly been any needledrop hiphop reviews I haven't agreed with, so this was an interesting watch for me as I am anticipating the record still. as expected it is along the same lines as his previous 2 albums but I thought this would have been the best of the trilogy. anthony doesn't seem to think so. can't front on any of the singles atm
    Retired.

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

Spun the album a couple of times today.

This is definitley the newer Ghost that we've been hearing recently (without Trife as co-writer), with the more plodding and awkward, off beat delivery at times. Seriously though, on a couple of these tracks sound like bad youtube remixes - Ghost is nowhere near the beat... Hope he gets back on track soon.

'Sour Soul', 'Nuggets of Wisdom' and 'Food' are Ghost's best performances on here, to me.

I like the vibe of the album though - BBNG are always on point.

However, this feels more like an EP. It's 33 mins short. 'Mono', 'Stark's Reality' and 'Experience' are instrumentals; 'Tone's Rap' and 'Nuggets of Wisdom' are mainly instrumental, with a short verse on each - so, I'd say there is only about 10mins of Ghost on this album.

6/10 on first spin. Will grow on me I'm sure. BBNG definitely deliver. Ghost nearly does.

Veteran Member

The beats on this album sent me to sleep

Too laid back

Quote Originally Posted by TRONIX View Post
    The beats on this album sent me to sleep

Too laid back

It's Ghost over a jazz band how did you think it was going to sound?

shit dope to me, 4 spins since release, maybe I'm just getting old, but this shit sound great haha

i have it downloaded, but haven't listened yet but i'm a bit put off by CL2Coming's comments on this being more in the vein of Ghost's recent style on "36 Seasons" and "12 Reasons"... i loved "12 Reasons" but "36 Seasons" was just boring from a lyrical standpoint.

i much, much prefer Ghost on "A Better Tomorrow" and "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II" (though many of those might have been recorded a long time). but still i got high hopes, i liked all the singles and BBNG is an interesting trio, Frank Dukes is a dope producer and of course Ghost is still the man so let's see what this holds. will bump it tonight!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Shaolin Master

i like sour souls. i think its a good album, although it is too short.

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    i have it downloaded, but haven't listened yet but i'm a bit put off by CL2Coming's comments on this being more in the vein of Ghost's recent style on "36 Seasons" and "12 Reasons"...
    It's better, in the sense that it doesn't follow a pre-written narrative, so Ghost has more creative freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    i much, much prefer Ghost on "A Better Tomorrow" and "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II" (though many of those might have been recorded a long time).
    Some of the verses on here at leaset a couple of years old. We know the first verse on 6 Degrees is the same recording used on "I Go Hard" from Iron Fists OST - and RZA said that was a Ghost verse he'd had for a while, so that must have been recorded in 2012 at the very latest.

Album's a grower after a few spins

Quote Originally Posted by CL2coming View Post
    Album's a grower after a few spins

Albums been on repeat since i got it, fire.

I was disappointed on the first 3 listens but now I'm getting into the somewhat melancholy beats on here. not a lot of Ghost on it really but I can now appreciate it for what it is and thus get into it more

the Tree verse seems to get a lot of hate in reviews but I have no complaints about it
    Retired.

if you combine 36 Seasons + Sour Soul they make a complete album that fits on 1 CD. This concept was OK just too short with no Wu cameos, but ghost should drop the new Supreme Clientele type of album soon
    Last edited by mAlAkAz; 02-20-2015 at 04:08 PM.

this album further cementing ghost as the goat, his discography is untouchable

feels like an extension of 36 Seasons but even better. Add one more ghost album I can play start to finish without a skip (I really cant stand Danny Brown's voice though).
    Beats are like dusty 70's OST music, love it

this album is really, really good

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!