Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Soul Albums?

Default Favorite Soul Albums?

Mine might be kind of cliche but whatever, Curtis by Curtis Mayfield

Just so good from top to bottom

been listening to the Sylvers and Jackson 5 a lot recently and really enjoying it, want to get more into soul. I'm honestly pretty ignorant of it as a genre especially in comparison to how much I enjoy it.
    Non Ignorants

RIP

I'm just getting into the genre so keep em coming!

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    Minnie Riperton - Come to My Garden, Perfect Angel
    Anything by Barry White
    Delfonics - Pretty much any album. Check songs 'Hey Love, Didn't I Blow Your Mind, La La Means I Love You, Tell Me This Is A Dream'
    Dramatics - Just about anything again. Check songs 'Whatcha See is Whatcha Get, In The Rain, Fell For You, Hot Pants In The Summertime'
    Ann Peebles - Straight From The Heart (you'll hear some Wu samples)
    James Brown - Just DL a best of hits, he has classics for days
    Al Green - See above

Some random favorite songs: Natural High by Bloodstone, Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack, Girl Blue - The Main Ingredient, Summer Breeze - The Main Ingredient

there's a good start, there's old threads on the topic that'll have a lot more too

Banned

Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued & Hot Buttered Soul

The O'Jays - Back Stabbers

Bill Withers - Just As I Am

Isley Brothers - The Heat Is On

co-sign Super Fly and anything James Brown.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

all the ones u guys mentioned, with a mega co sign on any of the delfonics first 4 albums. More recently ive been obsessed with an album i initially slept on which is Round 2 by the Stylistics.

-

Jasper Beardly, check out these albums.

The Deele-Street Beat
    Dazz Band-Keep It Live, Joystick, Jukebox
    The Time-The Time, What Time Is It
    Jesse Johnson-Jesse Johnson's Revue
    Rick James-Cold Blooded
    Lakeside-Fantastic Voyage, Untouchables
    Midnight Star-No Parking On The Dance Floor, Planetary Invasion, Headlines
    The Gap Band-Gap Band III, Gap Band IV, Gap Band V, Gap Band VI
    Zapp-Zapp II, Zapp III
    Con Funk Shun-To The Max, Fever
    Raydio-Two Places At The Same Time
    The Commodores-The Commodores(this has the classics Brick House, Zoom and Easy), Midnight Magic, Heroes
    The Jacksons-The Jacksons(this has Enjoy Yourself, Think Happy and Show You The Way To Go), Destiny, Triumph, Victory
    Maze and Frankie Beverly-We Are One, Silky Soul
    The Isley Brothers-The Heat Is On, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns, Showdown, Winner Takes All, Go All The Way, Grand Slam, Between The Sheets
    Isley Jasper Isley-Caravan Of Love
    Mtume-Juicy Fruit, You Me And He
    Cameo-Secret Omen, Feel Me, Alligator Woman, Style, She's Strange, Single Life, Word Up
    Ready For The World-Ready For The World(this has the jams Digital Display, Oh Sheila and I'm The One Who Loves You
    Stevie Wonder-Jungle Fever soundtrack, Hotter Than July, In Square Circle
    Luther Vandross-Never Too Much, Forever For Always For Love, Busy Body, The Night I Fell In Love, Give Me The Reason
    Jeffrey Osborne-Jeffrey Osborne, Stay With Me Tonight, Don't Stop
    Lionel Richie-Can't Slow Down, Dancing On The Ceiling
    Jermaine Jackson-Let's Get Serious, Jermaine Jackson(this has the classics Dynamite, Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin with his brother Michael, Escape From The Planet Of The Ape Men, Do What You Do, Take Good Care Of My Heart with Whitney Houston)
    Teddy Pendergrass-Teddy Pendergrass(this has the songs Somebody Told Me, You Can't Hide From Yourself, And If I Had, The Whole Town's Laughing At Me, The More I Get The More I Want), Joy
    The Dramatics-Shake It Well, Any Time Any Place
    Earth Wind and Fire-Keep Your Head To The Sky, Gratitude, That's The Way Of The World, Spirit, All N All, Iam, Faces, Raise, Powerlight

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

It's not an album, but the 45 single "I'll Wait" by Pat Lewis is my shit.

Also, anything by Roberta Flack makes my toes curl.

The Moments are a dope group. And I love The Impressions.
    Herbie Hancock's Secrets gets alot of spins on my table.

I'd have to say that the first 3 Meters records should be a staple in any soul collection. Especially if you're a hip hop head. The drums in them albums are amazing.
    Matt Coops

soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop
    Blogging sounds @ Dope Lofi

-

ShaDynasty, my dad has that Teddy Pendergrass album you showed a picture of and I didn't like it. I do like Love TKO song on there. He's wearing a lot of chains on the album cover hahahahahahahahaha. I think Teddy's best albums are his first self titled album and Joy album. RIP Teddy. These are also some good albums I forgot.

Kool and the Gang-Ladies Night, Something Special, Emergency
    Rufus and Chaka Khan-Street Player, Masterjam
    The Ojays-Back Stabbers, Family Reunion, Travelin At The Speed Of Thought, So Full Of Love
    Tony Toni Tone-The Revival, Sons Of Soul, House Of Music
    Johnny Gill-Johnny Gill(this album has the songs Rub You The Right Way, Wrap My Body Tight, My My My)
    New Edition-Candy Girl, New Edition(this album has the songs Cool It Now and Mr Telephone Man)
    Bell Biv Devoe-Poison, Hootie Mack
    Peabo Bryson-Reaching For The Sky
    Keith Sweat-Make It Last Forever
    Earth Wind and Fire-Open Our Eyes

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

this is my shit right here too

-

The guy who posted that LTD song, he put the wrong picture of The Stylistics LOL.

The guy who posted that LTD song, he put the wrong picture of The Stylistics LOL.
    um that would not be his fault though lmao

am not familiar with these guys but that song Mumm Ra posted is peace, will check out some more of their songs
    Retired.

-

My dad has that LTD greatest hits album you posted and it's good. Jeffrey Osborne who was the lead singer is a very good singer. My dad has his solo albums Jeffrey Osborne, Stay With Me Tonight and Don't Stop. Those are good albums and I also have them. LTD's Love Ballad song is a remake of George Benson's song. George's version is good but LTD's version is better.

-

I saw a interview with a black woman on Youtube talking about the Teddy Pendergrass car accident which caused him to be paralyzed. She said she was in the car with Teddy and she said his brakes went out and he couldn't stop the car. So that's what caused the accident. That same thing happened to me once because I was trying to stop the car and the brakes wouldn't stop. I was lucky i didn't hit somebody. I had to put the car in park and i got a tow truck to take my car to my house. I got a mechanic to fix the problem but he said it wasn't my brakes that caused that. He said it's another problem which i forgot what it was. So Teddy wasn't with a transvestite like the rumors I heard.