Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kendrick Lamar Announces Official Artwork & Album Title

arent you that weird wera dude?

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

I am weird, ofc. If I am a wera, I do not know.

But I recognize a butthurt boombap fan who walks around with a 'ask me about real hiphop' t-shirt.
    bring back begongo!!

I honestly don't know what I think about this album, but I do appreciate that he dares to experiment with his sound. A rare quality in Hip Hop nowadays.

The Blacker The Berry is my shit though!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

How much a dollar cost has a dope twist to it, i did not even notice it the first time.
    bring back begongo!!

WTF is lyrical about this dude? Standards nowadays...

^ nah man, he got a very natural delivery and he's great at playing around with different flows and voices to tell a story. on top of that he's a very good writer, his verses are often very layered, where an entire verse often have one plain interpretation and one hidden underneath that both makes as much sense. his first major album "Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City" was very special too as it basically told the story of his life - if he was rapping about his time being 16 he would rap from the perspective of that kid, saying shit that kid would say that Lamar doesn't necessarily stand for anymore. here again he uses his voice as an instrument by switching it up for different characters in the story.

as an emcee Kendrick Lamar can convey emotions that you can feel and relate to, knows how to tell a great story as well as just spit BARS like on his famous "Control" verse. as an artist he's taking risks with his music and as one of the best selling hip hop artists out there it's very refreshing to get concept albums that's far removed from what's expected from him.

what i can understand about people not liking him (except not liking the stuff he shows to write about and spit over), is actually his voice which i can see how some people might find it off putting. to each his own, but to me Kendrick Lamar is one of the most talented new dudes out there in years.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Crooklyn Dodger SilentKiller_Bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DR. NICK RIVIERA View Post
    Finally again a rapper that in the mainstream scene that is lyrically and musically very good.
    ^this!

Kendrick is very talented, and I think this album deserve a deep listening session. Musically I love it already!
    Anyway, like claaa said, his voice is sometimes a problem.. Like in the first single "i", in the video version I found his voice annoying as fuck. Luckily the album version has Kendrick rapping with his normal voice, which is less high-toned, and far more enjoyable overall!

I noticed that about I too! The album version is much better! And it is growing on me for sure. I like kendrick but I prefer Joey over him. I just get upset because I feel kendrick just gets way more love because of who backs him and what label he is on compared to Joey going out and doing it himself.
    I'm the Greatest Scientifically Inclined Mind Since Einstein!!!!

for some.reason,i just cant get into this guy....i dont know why...

Crooklyn Dodger SilentKiller_Bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    I noticed that about I too! The album version is much better! And it is growing on me for sure. I like kendrick but I prefer Joey over him. I just get upset because I feel kendrick just gets way more love because of who backs him and what label he is on compared to Joey going out and doing it himself.
    I agree, Kendrick has far more exposure. Joey is equally talented, and raps on darker-grimy beats, which I prefer.
    But still.. a mainstream rapper that delivers an album like this? Props to Kendrick for that!

What claaa7 said. Kendrick is not the typical punchline, braggadocious rapper or just ignorant type of today, he is a storyteller that has a lot to say, he might seem a bit preachy, but at least he believes in what he speaks. I drink less like is, too. I do not smoke anymore either, so it resonates well with me. I have been caught in bad company and i do not wish to be associated with those people anymore. Some of those girl-problems songs are pretty realistically done too. His writing shows that he makes a lot of songs that could have been some other genre.. sorta like Nick Cave could have been a rapper haha

At times he makes banging music like Dr. Dre, at times he reminds me of De la Soul, at times he is like 2Pac... basically, you can hear his influences, but his music stamp is still clear.

To pimp a butterfly sounds better and better, more that i listen to it, the more I understand it.
    bring back begongo!!

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    for some.reason,i just cant get into this guy....i dont know why...
    Same here, gave this album lots of spins but just can't get into it. Lyrically this album delivers, but even though it's a well produced album, I'm just not feeling the production.

For me Tetsuo & Youth and Mr Wonderful are better albums that were released this year.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

You guys have to understand that you don't just like hip hop you like the moment and feeling of when you were at your peak fanhood. Some of us don't have the body chemistry it takes to like hip hop because there's nothing s person can be I interested for 15 to 20 years and running. If you think of how much you like the other things you liked at the peak of your hip hop fanhood and how little they mean to you now as an adult you'll realize that no matter how good an album is it's not going to feel like a good album did to you as a 14 year old. I see a lot of people saying they can't get into Kendrick and that's fine because your not a kid anymore and its just not going to happen.

Album is amazing, I was completely blown away on first listen and I'm not really fan like that. It's such a diverse, creative LP, it's not the typical verse hook verse hook which is soooo tired but the music switches up, his flow changes, his voice changes to suit certain moods, ideas etc.

There are a lot of emotions and deep shit on here but when he goes off he fuckin raps his ass off, it's hard to keep up with him, with different words rhyming together, different syllables bouncing off each other etc.

What strikes me as off bout Kendrick's rise to fame is that this album is completely at odds with the majority of hiphop in the charts - no stupid 'EDM' music (what lazy writers call dance music), no faggit Ross, Drake or Wayne features, no ignorant dumbed down shit, this sounds part jazz rap with funk beats, and straight conscious lyrics with a complex, thought provoking lyricist.

Kendrick is nothing but great for hiphop, for years we complained here about mainstream rap and finally we have someone not just in the mainstream, but on top of the whole fuckin game who is a straight up lyricist and an extremely talented rapper. We should be celebrating his success.

Don't know how people ain't feeling him