Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostface: "I murdered everything I was on" (Once Upon a Time in Shaolin)

RZA gets dissed off members.

I always look for beats done by RZA, 4th, Bronze and features with generals so 'I' would of found it, maybe i overdid it a bit but when its all over an the legacy is made, he deserves a spot along with many other affiliates.
    -----------------------

FRESH FISH

Quote Originally Posted by CashRules View Post
    Still part of the legacy, the "legendary" legacy, that will be.
    And yet, when people talk about Wu-Tang's legacy, or name the best Wu albums, nobody ever mentions it.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeAlias View Post
    And yet, when people talk about Wu-Tang's legacy, or name the best Wu albums, nobody ever mentions it.
    'I' do.
    -----------------------

Its kind of like saying Paul Mccartneys aunt is part of The Beatles musical legacy. Its just somebody whos been around through the years, its not like she wrote the guitar melody to Rocky Racoon or something. If she made some music in her spare time has nothing to do with The Beatles.

Not sure I like this analogy but I've had a few beers and its the best I can do.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

My offer of downloading the once upon a time in shoalin album for free still stands. would be shocked if the album fetched more than $100k at auction cause who wants to buy an album from a person no1 has heard of and you can't sell copies commercially? A hard core wu-fan may front up a ridiculous amount of money for the album to hear the clan members and $100k is a ridiculous amount of money
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

FRESH FISH

Jack White recently bought Elvis Presley's first record ever recorded for $300,000.

Similar to Once Upon A Time In Shaolin, there was only one copy, and it was previously unreleased.

If $300,000 is how much an early historic record from an icon like Elvis goes for, how much, realistically, do you think is going to be bid for a late period 2010's Wu-Tang compilation / album?

Also, the Elvis record will be sold commercially. Jack is releasing it to the public and most likely will make some of his money back.

Meanwhile, whoever buys the Wu-Tang cannot release it commercially. Yeah, they could give it away, I guess - we get it, RZA and Cilva. But there is no profit in that for the buyer. Which in my opinion, brings down part of the value.

Unlike SOME PEOPLE, Jack White respects musicians, music history, and fans, and doesn't engage in publicity stunts masquerading as statements about art.

(Note: I bet Once Upon A Time In A Shaolin is dope! I just hate this stunt with the fire of a thousand suns.)
    Last edited by FakeAlias; 04-07-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Wu-Veteran

Cilvas in a tough spot with the wu fans...musically it seems he really has the right idea if what hes produced has RZA and others making comparisons to wutang forever..which is what most fans want...but thats the whole catch..its what fans want (and i specifically remember cilva asking fans on this site what they wanted from a wu album) and hes not trying to give it to them. I understand the entire concept music being valued as art...in that sense..its a great concept..but look at what you are sacrificing: a 21 year legacy with fans that have supported wutang the entire time. Making a decision (along with RZA) that will effect 9+ careers without getting all of them on board and agreeing with all terms concerning the work is just wrong. So is speaking on behalf of the clan and its '20 years of music for the fans is enough' smh. The thing is...music is art..whether money is exchanged or not...the purpose of art is so it can be enjoyed by the ppl who wish to experience it..youre contradicting yourself. Its the art concept but with one thing standing in its way. MONEY.
    Question is..does Cash Rule Everything Around Wutang? or does Cash rule Wutang? This has.the potential to seriously harm the legacy. Best thing Cilva and RZA can do...is buy the album themselves...donate the money to charity..and give digital copies of the album away for free while touring the world with the box.

Wu-Veteran

Thought i should add..i do believe artists should be compensated for their work..so im not saying music should always be free..just saying if you are really trying to make a world statement..then accepting some type of payment for that statement while denying your fans your art is backwards..the backlash from wu fans everywhere will damage the legacy..you should see how some ppl are reacting..yelling fuck wutang..getting rid of albums..covering tatoos..boycotting shows..not to mention..ABT is not a good way to leave off...anyways..Cilva congrats for taking it.to where you have from where.you started..no jealousy or hate from myself on that end..but just be careful with the power you now have. Peace

PRODIGAL SUN

Putting aside deceiving Wu fans of an album with this art stunt. I honestly feel that Rza may have poisoned this business deal for Cilvaringz early on in all the media interviews with his claim of already having a 5 million dollar offer. Does anyone actually believe this? I think they set the bar too high. It's questionable whether he did this on purpose for the snake move of recording a secret album or perhaps he thought the industry or an individual would bite with these remarks. It probably sounded like a good figure in his head but Rza tends to exaggerate and spew garbage in interviews. Either way, it's a win-win for Rza for jumping on board this project and probably taking a large percentage for the W stamp without doing much work.

The crickets in between news on the auction and lack of an auction date leads me to believe that the one and only listening session for the album probably lacked potential buyers. MoMa was probably filled with a bunch of media and wu fans. Behind the scenes, Paddle8's marketing team is probably putting together another ploy/event to gain interest. At this point, any potential buyer must know Rza had little to no involvement on the creation of this album.

It would be interesting to know what kind of numbers ABT did and if Warner Bros. recouped on their investment. I don't think Wu-tang has the draw/brand power in today's market for a company like Samsung to buy it and do something like they did with Jay-z's album bundled for free on their new Android phones. That's the only way I see fans getting to hear this album at this point.

I do hope Ringz make a good chunk of change if this sells because he put in a lot of time and money upfront. A lot of artists of stated in interviews that they make the majority of their money off touring because records sales are terrible in the industry. If record sales were low on his first album, I can only imagine that he was soured by the record deal on Babygrande and doesn't want to pursue that avenue. If your not willing to tour or you're a producer, it's probably pretty hard if your output is low. The museum idea was terrible.

//rant
    Last edited by madchild; 04-08-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Earlier this year, the first-ever recording made by*Elvis Presley*sold at*auction for $300,000. At the time, the winning*remained anonymous, but in a new interview for*BillboardJack White*has outed himself as the vinyl’s proud new owner.

Apparently, editor-at-large Joe Levy was waiting in Memphis, Tennessee for his interview with White, but instead was greeted by a strange man who*handed him a black suitcase. He was told to drive three hours across the state to meet White in Nashville at Third Man Records. When presented with the case, White addressed a crowd of employees. “This,” he said, “is the first recording ever made by Elvis Presley. On Record Store Day,*Third Man Records will issue this on vinyl.”

Recorded in 1953, the 10-inch acetate disc*features covers of two ballads from the 1930s: “My Happiness” and “That’s When Your Heartaches Begin”. The story goes that Presley’s friend Ed Leek had given the singer four dollars to make the recording, and one way or another ended up keeping the disc. Eventually it was inherited by Leek’s niece, who put it up for auction at Graceland during Presley’s 80th birthday celebration.

UpdateThird Man Records has officially announced the release of “My Happiness” b/w “That’s When Your Heartaches Begin” for Record Store Day, April 18th. The limited release will be as exact a replica as possible, from running ay 78rpm to precise reproductions of the typewritten labels, which were originally *“printed on the reverse of extra Prisonaires labels that happened to be laying around Sun Records in July 1953.”*Even the sleeves will be era-appropriately plain.

Third Man will also make a 45rpm restored version of the release available on 7-inch vinyl later this year.*According to the press release, expert Alan Stoker handled the transfer at the Country Music Hall of Fame, ensuring that “the audio will be as clean as modern technology can make it without losing the feeling and soul that makes these two songs both haunting and breath-taking.”
    Allah is my bitch
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.

IMO...... If this album is bought buy a company for example, they will probably do what they did with the U2 album a few years back or if I remember correctly the Jay-z album (Just use the album to promote the company). Other than that....... the only other thing they "might do" is give you the album, once you have bought some sort of high price product.

?????

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    You sure you want me to play my position?

You are ok Cilva...... In so much as you allow fans to vent without being a douche about it.

peace

Peace CT

ABT probably hurt OUATIS, since me and only 33 other people like ABT. N since the Wu name has been kind of dragged in the mud recently then the auction seems suspect. Is anybody gonna pay a ridiculous amount for this album if they cant make a profit off of it and or realize Wu is not what they used to be? Ringz, tell RZA to scrap the auction idea and just go bundle sales route. CD, t-shirt and stickers. 50-60 bucks and everybody is happy, well maybe. My guess is the auction never happens and this project goes into silence other than some stuff on this board and nobody ever hears it, including the future. Peace

The album won't make a profit cause no1 gives a fuck about wu anymore let alone some1 labelled as a "b" affiliate,
    Allah is my bitch

CORNED BEEF CUNT

This is all about money folks....Nobody is gonna spend all there time and money for 5 plus years of work and having people invest in something that doesnt get a return. It just so happens that in this era selling over 100,000 records is like going platinum was in 98 because people jus dont buy music. With that said all due respect to cilvaringz but i feel like he used the fans and these forums like this one and thecoli to get a slow buzz rolling. Letting us here all those beats and snippets had most people on this forums mouth watering only to find out that we may never here the album depending on who buys it. I remember cilvaringz already had said years ago that this album would get him kicked out of wu and most members may end up hating him (meth, rae and deck it seems especially) but he already expected this. Ringz also said "remember post 100" or some shit but i dont know what the fuck that means right now so i dont wanna get to ahead of myself with my next comment....But with that said as a fan i need to express my dissapointment with being kind of toyed with over the years expecting or looking forward to something epic only to feel used like we were part of an instrument to hype and spread word about this "secret" album. I cant knock another niggas hustle but shit does kind of seem like a slap in the face to fans if we dont get to here it within the next few years. Hopefuly post 100 or whatever is the plan to actually get the music to us.