Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Detective Season 2 (6/21)

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Default True Detective Season 2 (6/21)

This season is starring Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn & Rachel McAdams. It's gna be hard to top season 1.

PRODIGAL SUN

I'm going to have to re-watch Season 1, I can't even remember it. Is it all new detectives in Season 2? Does the storyline carry over? Drawing a blank on this show.

‘True Detective’ Season 2 Trailer #2: Sometimes Your Worst Self Is Your Best Self

Whatever the critical reception for True Detective season two ends up being like compared to season one – be it weaker, stronger, or on the same level – it’s fair to say the crime drama’s sophomore season will be both very different, yet similar to its freshman narrative. Season one’s Southern-fried tale of Detectives Rust Cohle and Marty Hart’s spiritual (and, in many ways, literal) journey into the heart of darkness – as they attempt to capture a serial killer over the course of nearly two decades – is, on a surface, a far cry from season two’s promise of a modern California neo-Noir tale of power, crime, and corruption.

However, as evidenced by the existentially-bleak season two tagline (“We get the world we deserve.”) – recalling Rust’s “Time is a flat circle” line from season one – or True Detective writer/creator Nic Pizzolatto’s comments about season two’s “disconcerting psychology,” this new season of the anthology series appears to have carried over season one’s tone and thematic essence, the surface differences aside.

HBO’s True Detective season two teaser was more of a mood setter than anything else, and the second preview (see above) is, in many ways, just as enigmatic as its predecessor. However, the second trailer does explicitly tease certain element that people now associate with Pizzolatto’s crime series, including: characters musing philosophically about their compromised lives and the world they live in; moody cinematography; visuals loaded with symbolism; and a lingering sense of tension, where it seems that violence could break out at a moment’s notice.

True Detective season two’s plot revolves around Frank Semyon (Vince Vaughn) – a career criminal whose effort to go legit (with a deal that involves a Californian transportation system and real estate) starts to fall apart when his partner is murdered – and the three cops who become involved with the case: Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell), a struggling detective in deep with mobsters; Paul Woodrugh (Taylor Kitsch), a veteran and Highway Patrol officer tangled up in a (manufactured) scandal; and Ani Bezzerides (Rachel McAdams), a small town sheriff disillusioned by the very system that she’s a part of.

Director Justin Lin (Fast Five, Furious Six) directed the first two True Detective season episodes, establishing a visual template for the season that – by the look of it – recalls Cary Fukunaga’s approach on season one, yet is also distinct in its setting (overlapping highway roads, vast urban cityscapes) and more Noir-influenced style, compared to season one’s atmosphere (often recalling a troubling dream). The techniques used by Lin (and the other directors on season two) seem effective, thus far.
    Combine that with a refreshingly serious turn by Vaughn – with Farrell, Kitsch, and McAdams all looking to deliver equally heavy dramatic performances – and True Detective season two looks quite solid on its own terms, regardless of how it ultimately compares to season one.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 06-22-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    Retired.

Vince Vaughn as boring as ever.

i liked the season opener and i think the upcoming episodes will be promising.

i prefer Woody Harrelson over Vince Vaughn but Colin Farrell over Matthew McConaughey so i guess it worked out.. lol

^Matthew McConaughey was the best part about this tbf.

Haven't seen the opener yet, but looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

Yeah, last season started out really slow also, so maybe it will pick up the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoGnom View Post
    ^Matthew McConaughey was the best part about this tbf.

Haven't seen the opener yet, but looking forward to it.
    dont get me wrong MM was great in the first season, i was just being general.

Its interesting to see Vince Vaughn in something like this, I don't think I've seen him in anything but comedy.

Its tough to tell where it will go, in the first season the first few episodes were laying the foundation for the rest of the story, I imagine this is pretty much the same. Great performances already though.

That officer on the motorcycle doesn't seem like that good of an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Its interesting to see Vince Vaughn in something like this, I don't think I've seen him in anything but comedy.

Its tough to tell where it will go, in the first season the first few episodes were laying the foundation for the rest of the story, I imagine this is pretty much the same. Great performances already though.
    vince vaughn did have a go playing a dramatic role in 98's Gus Van Sant directed remake of Psycho which was one of the few films ive ever walked out on...lol

that said, it wasnt really the fact VV was horrible in it. it was just the whole reboot itself (in color) which was completely pointless.

good to see VV gettin a crack at it again at a non comedic role.

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    That officer on the motorcycle doesn't seem like that good of an actor.
    ^^ this, everything else is great imo.

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about this show.

I think as with the first season, you can't really judge until its over because they aren't revealing much at this point. Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughn are killing this though, especially that last episode. Shits heating up.

yo few episodes back had the illest shootout scene on cable tv since the wire........