Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Black Actors Playing (Originally) White Superheroes

Banned

Default Thoughts on Black Actors Playing (Originally) White Superheroes

What's your thoughts on this trend?

Kingpin Comics:

Kingpin Daredevil film:

^ This is a unique case, because they went back to tradition w/ the Daredevil Netflix series

who do you think played/plays it better?

Back on topic:

Nick Fury comics:

Nick Fury films:

ANd now its as if they adopted Nick Fury from the films in the MARVEL: Ultimate series:

Green Lantern comics (Hal Jordan):

Green Lantern (John Stewart) Justice League cartoon:

^ Again another unique case because Green Lantern is an organization rather than just one dude, but interesting when the 'Justice League' cartoon came out, they went w/ John Sewart instead of the more recognizable Hal Jordan....

JOhnny Storm/Human Torch comic/cartoon:

Johnny Storm for 'upcoming' new Fantastic 4 film:

So just curious what you guys think and why this keeps happening? Not that there's an issue here with that because who gives a shit as long as the role is done well, but let's put this into perspective....

If a white guy portrayed say.....Black Panther, Luke Cage, Red Falcon, IronMan War Machine, etc. would the black community embrace it like they have in these cases or would they get pissed?

Or lets take another perspective here.....rumours circulating who the next Bond will be, and a lot of folks are rooting for Idris Elba (who I am a big fan of) making him potentially the first black Bond.......now, how would people feel if there was a remake of 'Shaft' in the works, and someone like Robert Downey Jr. was going to play him?

See where I'm getting at with this?

Just curious what people think since not too long ago, Michelle Rodriguez (Fast & Furious) was caught by TMZ vaguely stating that minorities need to stop stealing white superhero roles, and she got a lot of backlash for it (you can find video on youtube somewhere I bet).

But yea what's your opinion?

we had a thread about this before, last year, but I can't seem to find it

anyway, they should keep superheroes' ethnicity. why fuck with that? if they want diversity in superhero movies there are plenty of other options with superheroes like Black Panther, Luke Cage etc, or by incorporating 'real people characters' with no special powers

I thought Michael Clarke Duncan was pretty unconvincing as Kingpin, exuded too much physical power in his presence, didn't seem much like a criminal mastermind either. he was already unbelievable to me portrayed by a black actor to begin with and then they picked somebody with a completely different body type too. Kingpin's supposed to be this overweight fancily dressed white guy who exudes 'criminal mastermind & crime boss'. didn't get that from the movie. well, the Daredevil movie had lots of other fails too

if they want more diversity in their superhero movies they should do what they did in Cap Am II with the Falcon. Black Panther movie is in the works (well sort of) and that's a good sign for things to come. there are possibilities for DC too with the Suicide Squad movie in that regard

not looking forward too much to Torch being portrayed by a black actor, they are making way too many changes with that whole Fan4 reboot anyway it seems (DOOM as a blogger FFS)

I'd say two exceptions are Green Lantern because anybody sort of could 'become' the human Green Lantern and also Samuel L Jackson as Fury because he really owned the character with his convincing performance (unlike Duncan Clarke as Kingpin)

now on to your Bond question. anybody could be Bond since he's a secret agent so I'd have no problem with Idris Elba at all

I saw that Rodriguez vid and I gotta say I agree with her. fuck the backlash cuz people make anything racially related/motivated when really it's not in this case. tired of this PC bullshit. same chances for everyone is completely different from the PC craze in general, that shit ticks me off
    Retired.

nick fury in the comics...according to canon is black, marvel specifically made him in the likeness of samuel l jackson in the comics with his permission

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    we had a thread about this before, last year, but I can't seem to find it

anyway, they should keep superheroes' ethnicity. why fuck with that? if they want diversity in superhero movies there are plenty of other options with superheroes like Black Panther, Luke Cage etc, or by incorporating 'real people characters' with no special powers

I thought Michael Clarke Duncan was pretty unconvincing as Kingpin, exuded too much physical power in his presence, didn't seem much like a criminal mastermind either. he was already unbelievable to me portrayed by a black actor to begin with and then they picked somebody with a completely different body type too. Kingpin's supposed to be this overweight fancily dressed white guy who exudes 'criminal mastermind & crime boss'. didn't get that from the movie. well, the Daredevil movie had lots of other fails too

if they want more diversity in their superhero movies they should do what they did in Cap Am II with the Falcon. Black Panther movie is in the works (well sort of) and that's a good sign for things to come. there are possibilities for DC too with the Suicide Squad movie in that regard

not looking forward too much to Torch being portrayed by a black actor, they are making way too many changes with that whole Fan4 reboot anyway it seems (DOOM as a blogger FFS)

I'd say two exceptions are Green Lantern because anybody sort of could 'become' the human Green Lantern and also Samuel L Jackson as Fury because he really owned the character with his convincing performance (unlike Duncan Clarke as Kingpin)

now on to your Bond question. anybody could be Bond since he's a secret agent so I'd have no problem with Idris Elba at all

I saw that Rodriguez vid and I gotta say I agree with her. fuck the backlash cuz people make anything racially related/motivated when really it's not in this case. tired of this PC bullshit. same chances for everyone is completely different from the PC craze in general, that shit ticks me off
    I forgot about WIll Smith as Deadshot & the guy who played Adibisi from OZ as Kilelr Croc regardign Suicide Squad.

I agree with MIchelle Rodriguez too personally, as I am not a fan of the whole PC correct age...IMO, the real message is black actors who are taking white superhero/villain roles isn't the issue, but rather they need more black superhero/villains to portray in comics......again, imagine they got JCVD or somehting to play Blade instead of Snipes....it would be outrageous and unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    nick fury in the comics...according to canon is black, marvel specifically made him in the likeness of samuel l jackson in the comics with his permission
    So what now, the white Nick Fury never existed if that's the new cannon???

if I'm not mistaken..the white nick fury exists in marvel universe 616, they abandoned most storylines in that universe

Theres also black Heimdall in Thor, being a Norse God you really can't get whiter than that.

I think there are certain characters which you just can't change their ethnicity but others your free to play with. Like no one is fucking with Batman or Superman but a Nick Fury or Green Lantern yeah you can change that.

The James Bond argument is interesting its been talked about a lot in England, originally in Ian Flemings books it is stated that Bond is a white Scottish dude. It would be like having a white Shaft.

Banned

^ exactly!

Imagine seeing, 'COMING THIS SUMMER! IN AN ALL NEW PRODUCTION......HE'S BACK BABY! Keeanu Reeves is SHAFT!"

you daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn right.

:P

this is more or less off topic so me being me but I really want to see a spidey movie that takes it back to an eighties story line involving kingpin, the schemer becoming rose turning into blood rose (I'd leave out the Hydra phase, too much plot), kingsley's hobgoblin, a brainwashed ned leeds & jack o'lantern

meanwhile no complaints from me with Venom & Sinister Six coming up
    Retired.

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but isnt Thor a female now in the comics? Lol

people should do this in rap. Like a white guy named Masta Killa who has a black wife.

The possibility are endless

^^that purple usergroup with the lyricists still going?
    Retired.

street cred

Retired.

they are ruining my childhood

ps- im with what Rev Jones said

heres something that will break the internet
    how about western ppl playing Asian characters

like goku being white in the movie
    or recently scarlett johanssen being the robot in ghost in the shell?

personally nobody in anime cartoons looks asian!
    they all have fair skin and big eyes?
    Last edited by chiba; 04-21-2015 at 07:00 PM.

courtesy of Bobby_Digital72

Non Ignorants

its called affirmirtive action and believe me when i tell you, its one of the most pretentious things yet..i too am not a big fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    ^^that purple usergroup with the lyricists still going?
    i really dont know. I asked for cannibal red and all i got was this lousy t-shirt