Thread: Why is ESPN allowing this idiot Stephen A. Smith stooge for this idiot woman abuser?

IronSheik

Default Why is ESPN allowing this idiot Stephen A. Smith stooge for this idiot woman abuser?

Stephen A. Smith Defends His Support Of Floyd Mayweather Jr. Despite The Whole Woman Punching Thing

Stephen A. Smith is the ultimate low-hanging fruit. His job is to be low-hanging fruit; just noticing anything he says feels like dead-horse beating. But over the past few weeks, Stephen A. has transformed himself from garden-variety shill and troll into a kind of cartoonish super-troll. He’s the ultimate embodiment of a comment section men’s rights activist crossed with some sort of distorted, unentertaining version of Virgil, the unquestioning bodyguard of wrestling’s Million Dollar Man. He is Super-MRAn.

Stephen A. has been in Floyd Mayweather’s pocket for a long time. Back in 2010, Mayweather found out that Josie Harris, the mother of his three of his children and his former fiancée, was dating NBA guard C.J. Watson—a matter he confirmed by going through her iPhone without permission to find text messages. Mayweather and Harris were no longer a couple at this time, and Mayweather was living with and engaged to another woman, but, still unable to contain his jealousy, he went to Harris’s home at 5:00 a.m., with a member of his entourage in tow, and proceeded to beat her and threaten her life in front of two of their children. (Both subsequently confirmed the matter to police and in recent interviews). Mayweather fled the home before police arrived but took the cell phone, a common tactic of batterers, to prevent Harris from reaching out to her new boyfriend. The evidence against Mayweather was overwhelming and damning—he eventually copped a plea to avoid more serious charges—and given his already-lengthy rap sheet for domestic violence, the whole affair was unfortunately entirely in keeping with his character.

Stephen A. Smith doesn’t get it.

Tightrope walking a terrible position today on First Take, Stephen A. half admonished Mayweather for his 12-year history of abusing women and while pretending like those seven assault charges aren’t bad enough to make him not like the guy.

“I can’t condone what this man has been accused of but in fairness to Floyd Mayweather,” Stephen A. said. “Their camp will sit there and say to you — and Floyd has said this to me on more than one occasion — ‘Y’all act like Manny Pacquiao is so innocent.'”

Way to justify your support of a terrible human being — who punches women in the top of their heads to as to not leave bruises — by falsely equivocating domestic violence with tax evasion.
    It’s one thing to not “condone what this man has been accused of,” but it’s entirely something else to use that man’s deflection of said charges (many of which have been substantiated by a court of law) to explain why you’re ok with being his most vocal fan.

Smith was responding to Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach, who claims that Pacquiao is fueled by Mayweather’s seven domestic violence raps. When First Take host Cari Champion offered her opinion that Mayweather is, in fact, a bonafide scumbag, Smith dug himself deeper into a hole saying, “You’re a woman, you should feel that way.”

Guys, what aren’t we getting here. Domestic violence is not a gender specific issue — it’s a problem within the entire human race. Is Stephen A. Smith saying that he doesn’t need to be as offended by Mayweather’s horrific past of beating woman because he’s a man? The hell kind of 1950s logic is that?
    STEPHEN A. SMITH: “When you go into what freddie roach believes and what he alludes to manny pacquiao feeling and how there’s the spiritual conversion and all of this other stuff, what makes me uncomfortable is that they’re also lumping all of this other stuff that, you know, floyd mayweather allegedly has done to say, ‘well, you know what? look at how much of a bad guy he is.’ when you take the position that you take, cari, against — i got no problems with this, you’re a woman, you should feel that way — anybody else, based on what he’s been accused of, i get that. i have no issue whatsoever.”
    CARI CHAMPION: “i definitely have an issue because of his domestic violence record. i also have an issue how he treats women period outside of the ring. i have a problem with who he is.”
    STEPHEN A. SMITH: “that’s fine. i’m saying that her position is clear. because she’s a woman and this is how she feels how he conducts himself. i am a boxing fan. i’m thinking — when i talk out mayweather versus pacquiao, i’m thinking about two dudes strictly in the boxing ring. Freddie roach takes this to another level where anybody that’s rooting for floyd mayweather, it’s almost like, ‘what kind of a person are you?'”
    I dunno dude, what kind of person are you? Because it sounds like you’re the kind of person that prioritizes boxing “tacticians” over “not being a complete psychopath.”

Stephen A. Smith had trouble believing that Floyd Mayweather, who had already been involved in six incidents involving five different women that led to arrest or citation before the Harris beating took place, had “put his hands on a woman.” He mocked the idea that Floyd had stolen an “iPod,” when in fact he’d engaged in the common batterer tactic of stealing his victim’s only means of communication with her support network. And, worst of all, he suggested that Josie Harris, lying in the hospital with cuts, bruises and a concussion, the mother of three of Floyd’s children, was inventing the story to extort money from the boxer. It was repulsive on every level.

Smith’s position on domestic violence didn’t mature after that rant, either. Most famously, last year, when discussing the Ray Rice controversy, he suggested that it was common for battered women to provoke the violence against them. (He was implying that Janay Rice was responsible for having been knocked unconscious.) This led to an immediate and deserved outcry, culminating with popular ESPNer Michelle Beadle publicly expressing her disgust at having to share an outlet with Smith. The network had no choice: it suspended Smith, who offered a lame apology and briefly kept his mouth shut on the subject.

Alas, he did so only briefly. While his colleagues John Barr and Bob Ley were preparing an epic Outside the Lines report on Mayweather’s documented history of abuse, Smith was spending his time oooohing and ahhhing at Mayweather’s car collection for a piece which ESPN would elect to give better airtimes and more prominent positioning online than the substantive, damning OTL broadcast. And that wasn’t all he was doing.

In an April 8 episode of First Take—it for whatever reason only started getting around today, as Awful Announcing explains here, but better late than never—Smith complained about coverage (like, well, ours) that exposes Mayweather’s history of “alleged” (his word) domestic abuse. Smith was particularly upset that Manny Pacquiao claimed he was going to use that history as motivation to teach Mayweather a lesson, something Smith felt was unsporting to say. Turning to host Cari Champion, Smith continued, “When you take the position that you take, Cari, I have no problem with it. You’re a woman, you should feel that way.”

Champion explained that her position was based on both Mayweather’s documented—not “alleged”—history of domestic violence and his generally misogynistic attitude towards women. Smith doubled down on his position. “Her position is clear. Because she’s a woman, and this is how she feels.”
    There you have it. According to Smith, the only people who can or should hold Mayweather’s history of domestic abuse, misogyny, and being protected by the media against him are women. And since women’s opinions clearly have little to do with boxing, it was upsetting to Smith to see Pacquiao inject them into this fight.

ESPN howls when the subject of their Mayweather coverage comes up. When our Tim Burke wrote a piece the other day asking why the network was acting as the boxer’s promotional mouthpiece in a heavily-promoted infomercial masquerading as news coverage, ESPNers raged about how Stephen A. doesn’t represent them or the network. The former is true: Keith Olbermann, Sarah Spain, and Michelle Beadle have all called for boycotts of Mayweather’s fights, and they, along with others like the first-rate journalists at OTL, deserve credit for confronting the fact that Floyd Mayweather is a serial batterer. ESPN, as they like to say, is not a monolith.

The fact remains, though, that for years ESPN has downplayed and ignored Floyd Mayweather’s history of domestic violence. It’s allowed boxing correspondent Dan Rafael to largely pass it over when not treating it as a character-building exercise. It’s allowed Stephen A. Smith to smear the victims and promote Mayweather in a special that will be aired on ABC. And we now see that just a couple of weeks ago it allowed him to use its broadcast time to state outright, as a defense of the champion, that domestic violence is an issue for women and, by implication, women alone—a statement so nakedly indecent that it would get you kicked off most online message boards, let alone network airwaves.

Stephen A. Smith is not a journalist. He is not a sports fan. He is, to all appearances, a shill auditioning for a job with Mayweather’s organization once ESPN inevitably gives him the boot. That day cannot come soon enough. Until it does, everything he does comes with the approval and imprimatur of the world’s most powerful sports broadcaster, and it will taint everything else they do.

Some dummies don't care who he beats up outside the ring as long as he wins boxing matches.

-

LOL@Check Two. I agree. Stephen Smith is retarded and I don't like him anymore. He shouldn't be supporting Floyd because of his abuse towards women. There's nothing cool about men beating up women. I know a lot of black women got a attitude and they say stupid things to piss black men off but they don't deserve to get beaten up.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

IronSheik

Arrow OTL Feature: Mayweather has never been apologetic about Domesstic Violence incidents

-

Damn that's a ugly white woman talking LOL.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.