Thread: Leaked Sony Email Reveals Marvel's Distaste For Female Superhero Movies

Default Leaked Sony Email Reveals Marvel's Distaste For Female Superhero Movies

The latest "Saturday Night Live" parody of Marvel's take on female-fronted superhero movies may not be so off, based on recently surfaced leaked emails from the Sony hack. Wikileaks published more than 30,000 searchable documents from the hack a few weeks ago, and one of the emails reveals exactly why execs thought superhero movies about women were bad for business.

The documents contain an email exchange between Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter and Sony CEO Michael Lynton with the subject line, "Female Movies." Per Wikileaks, the email reads:

To: "Lynton, Michael"
    Subject: Female Movies
    Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 05:32:50 -0400

Michael,
    As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples. There are more.
    Thanks,
    Ike
    1. Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm
    2. Catwoman (WB/DC) - Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film was a disaster. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm
    3. Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.
    Best,
    Ike

So, based on this email, Marvel and Sony may not be interested in female superhero movies because three poorly-done and critically-panned films flopped. As Think Progress points out, at least six male-fronted superhero movies were very unsuccessful, citing "Daredevil," "Superman Returns" and "Green Lantern" as studio disasters.

Marvel has come under scrutiny in recent months after not announcing a Black Widow movie even though Scarlett Johansson has played the character in four movies that were tremendous box office hits. Yet the studio hasn't solidified its support for her to star as the leading role. Last year they did, however, announce nine male superhero movies to be released before 2020.

Perlmutter's email further illustrates what exactly is wrong with Hollywood's mentality when it comes to films starring women, action-based or not. As Cate Blanchett said at last year's Oscars, "And thank you to ... those of us in the industry who are still foolishly clinging to the idea that female films, with women at the center, are niche experiences. They are not -- audiences want to see them and, in fact, they earn money." Even ones about women kicking ass.
    Retired.

^^huffington post article btw, that explains the last few lines
    Retired.

Banned

As bad as it sounds, I am with the studio's on this one.....

Let's be honest....comics/comic heroes are centered on a male demograph out-weighing female fans (IMO) by a margin of 70-30 or close to it.

I myself have seldomly been sold on a female hero unless they've been a part of X-men.

I can count on my finger how many female superheroes villains I care about:

- Psylocke
    - Jean Grey/Phoenix
    - Rogue (comic version - not the shitty film version)
    - White Queen
    - Lady Death
    - Witchblade
    - Angela (Spawn)
    - Poison Ivy

and that's it....Harley Quinn may be hot to some fetish/cosplay folks, but in real life if I was the joker, I wouldn't pay her to talk....

Otherwise I can 100% say I've never followed a female comic series, or bought into one.

I'll be honest, I don't care for many female heroes other than being the 'comic eye candy' that makes every teen wish there were girls in real life who dressed/acted the way they do...

yeah I have to agree, for me women in comics work only in a group setting.never cared much for wonder woman on her own for instance. the female characters on the Agents of SHIELD show I have grown fond of, but once again cuz of them being in a team I guess

bout to watch the beginning of the Supergirl movie (German dubbed ) to find out what the deal is on that one

Elektra was okayish, but people just (rightfully) expected more

I've always steered clear from the Catwoman movie, might catch the beginning of that one later tonight to see just how bad it is
    Retired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    yeah I have to agree, for me women in comics work only in a group setting.never cared much for wonder woman on her own for instance. the female characters on the Agents of SHIELD show I have grown fond of, but once again cuz of them being in a team I guess

bout to watch the beginning of the Supergirl movie (German dubbed ) to find out what the deal is on that one

Elektra was okayish, but people just (rightfully) expected more

I've always steered clear from the Catwoman movie, might catch the beginning of that one later tonight to see just how bad it is
    Oh god Supergirl is atrocious...remember being @ my cottage lounging around one day channel surfing and stumbled across it.....I watched it and wished I had that hour-and-a-half (roughly) back.

Catwoman is equally an abomination if not worse, especially since they completely stole the concept of an animal (cat in this case) carries the soul of a broken hearted person, etc etc. from The Crow, which is blasphemy IMO because I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan (not just from an actor standpoint but philosophical one as well) and though Brandon has an entire catalog of shitty B style films, The Crow is a personal fav of mine that should remain untouched/altered.....so when I see a studio just completely trying to steal the concept to adapt it to a shitty catwoman film is just wrong...

I once came across it at a bargain bin for films at $4.99 a pop, and I said it was still too much XD

Banned

I forgot to add Voodoo from WildC.A.T.S tot he list I liekd as well:

that first half hour of Supergirl is entertainingly hilarious. for about 20 minutes the chick says not at all, the story line moves on a kid level (with no character motivation etc), you're watching a movie for 12 year olds and then the first thing that happens to supergirl on earth is BAM attempted rape. AWKWARD

also this song plays at a party

DA GOD HOWARD FUCKIN JONES
    Retired.

The Elektra movie isn't that bad