Thread: ‘The Craft’ Remake in Development

Default ‘The Craft’ Remake in Development

One trend currently popular in Hollywood is rebooting/remaking/revitalizing cult classics from the ‘80s and ‘90s. Sony Pictures has not one, but two Ghostbusters features in the works; Tim Burton is returning to Beetlejuice for a not-quite-sequel; plus Warner Bros. is working on a followup to The Goonies and a remake of Gremlins.
    However, this trend isn’t limited to the big screen, certain fan-favorite movies are finding new life on television, such as MTV’s upcoming Scream series. Now, a director on one of the episodes of Scream’s first season will tackle a big screen remake of a different ‘90s horror property.

THR is reporting Sony has set newcomer Leigh Janiak (Scream) to write and direct a remake of supernatural teen thriller The Craft. She will be joined by co-scribe and previous collaborator Phil Graziadei. The two co-wrote the horror film Honeymoon, Janiak’s directorial debut that premiered at SXSW last year. Doug Wick, producer on the original Craft film, will return to produce along with Lucy Fisher (The Divergent Series: Insurgent).
    The cult classic ‘90s film follows Sarah (Robin Tunney), who transfers to an L.A. high school and joins a group of wannabe witches: Bonnie (Neve Campbell), Rochelle (Rachel True) and Nancy (Fairuza Balk). However, when the girls use witchcraft for their own gain, they suffer the dangerous consequences.

Features like 21 Jump Street and the new Evil Dead have shown that revamped properties can appeal to a new audience without entirely forsaking their predecessors. Still, even though certain filmmakers have found success in these reboots/remakes, revisiting a film with a strong cult following doesn’t necessarily translate to box office or critical success.
    That being said, Sony has tapped a promising director who has previous experience both in a small-scale horror flick with Honeymoon as well as a rebooted ‘90s horror property with MTV’s Scream. Though fans of The Craft may not be excited for a remake, Sony has chosen a team to create a film that has the best chance of honoring the original while still creating something fresh for new audiences.
    Retired.

Banned

wonder who would star in it or who would return if any......

wasn't my fav film of the 90's, but I enjoyed it....I think I was pissed when they won the MTV award (useless regardless I know, lol) that they won best fight over Jackie Chan in 'First Strike' and at the time I think I was in my early adolescence and was HUGE into Jackie Chan so I held a grudge haha .

Hope it's good, I've been impressed with every other remake so far

Evil Dead , Friday the 13th, The Texas Chainsaw Massacres (not the ridiculous 3D one) & Halloween being my fav so far.....
    Last edited by KATO; 05-15-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

I liked the first 1.

it would be cool if they gave some of the actresses from the original movie small parts in the remake but it seems unlikely. Robin Tunney in particular I'd like to see turn up here, I have a soft spot for The Mentalist
    Retired.