Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GZA Speaks: The Lost Art of Lyricism

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Default GZA Speaks: The Lost Art of Lyricism

We do it for the people.

'

GZA should be more worried about his flow and voice.

Melf Nederlandse lifestyle & hiphop community. Voor bazen. De beste website van de wereld.[

Veteran Member

Gza should talk about the lost art of plagiarism and how large chunks of the song Breaker Breaker was taken from a book.

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    Gza should talk about the lost art of plagiarism and how large chunks of the song Breaker Breaker was taken from a book.
    There was a thread about it. Do you happen to have a link to it?

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

-

BigKing.nl, why you say that? I haven't heard him in a long time but I'm sure his lyrics and voice sound the same. GZA is definitely right about lyricism is lost now with these wack new rappers who could care less about good lyrics hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    Thanks G

BigKing.nl, why you say that? I haven't heard him in a long time but I'm sure his lyrics and voice sound the same. GZA is definitely right about lyricism is lost now with these wack new rappers who could care less about good lyrics hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    He's our forum troll. Shoulda known that.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    Come on man, can't you see the art in this? Like he's taken time to read this book and convert into his rhyme form!! And spreading the jewels cos he was impressed by the book. Like a lot of ppl may have not read the book, I haven't but I'm glad to hear those jewels.So he's spreading those jewels man.
    With so many original songs GZAs made there ain't no problem him doing this. If you listen to Robbery, he takes the rhyme scheme of Big Daddy Kane's song(can't remember the name of song-Think it might be ain't no half stepping) but he makes it
    His song, with amessage of realising who the originator is, he's telling you to spot BDK, this is class!! Within that one rhyme, he's saying so much.. Eg. if you know real hip hop , your history and lyrics you will spot not only skill but also the pioneers. GZA is top A Class lyricist. You gotta look at it like where his mind is at writing these songs, the knows knows , so the fact you spotted he took parts from that book is he wanted people to know . I mean if rather GZA use inspiration from an intellectual dropping jewels from a book than the same ol generic rapper taking chunks off the last generic rapper chatting the same ol bullshit!!! So no disrespect but get the hell out of here trying to make out GZAs a biter man lol
    Last edited by blaksteez; 05-31-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigKing.nl View Post
    GZA should be more worried about his flow and voice.
    His voice and flow was good on ABT in my opinion.

In one thread someone, I can't remember who, wrote that GZA changed up his delivery from the slow almost no energy one to the more hype one because of feedback he read from fans.

Quote Originally Posted by blaksteez View Post
    Come on man, can't you see the art in this? Like he's taken time to read this book and convert into his rhyme form!! And spreading the jewels cos he was impressed by the book. Like a lot of ppl may have not read the book, I haven't but I'm glad to hear those jewels.So he's spreading those jewels man.
    With so many original songs GZAs made there ain't no problem him doing this. If you listen to Robbery, he takes the rhyme scheme of Big Daddy Kane's song(can't remember the name of song-Think it might be ain't no half stepping) but he makes it
    His song, with amessage of realising who the originator is, he's telling you to spot BDK, this is class!! Within that one rhyme, he's saying so much.. Eg. if you know real hip hop , your history and lyrics you will spot not only skill but also the pioneers. GZA is top A Class lyricist. You gotta look at it like where his mind is at writing these songs, the knows knows , so the fact you spotted he took parts from that book is he wanted people to know . I mean if rather GZA use inspiration from an intellectual dropping jewels from a book than the same ol generic rapper taking chunks off the last generic rapper chatting the same ol bullshit!!! So no disrespect but get the hell out of here trying to make out GZAs a biter man lol
    Sorry man, but you're wrong. Taking somebody's bars is biting. I love GZA. He was one of the frist Wu heard I started to listening, but I'm not blind to see that taking somebody's bars and rhyme them is biting as fuck.

Biggie was called bitter on OB4CL for making similar cover and you're trying to say copying almost whole verse is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by soob View Post
    Sorry man, but you're wrong. Taking somebody's bars is biting. I love GZA. He was one of the frist Wu heard I started to listening, but I'm not blind to see that taking somebody's bars and rhyme them is biting as fuck.

Biggie was called bitter on OB4CL for making similar cover and you're trying to say copying almost whole verse is ok.
    I hear you. But I disagree again, biggie biting an album cover is different to GZA biting a book he read. Lets put it this way, are you gonna say KP a biter for quoting bible verses? Or ODB spitting GZA verses on his album? I won't cos I see the difference, I always see biting as someone stealing another rappers rhyme/beat/album cover. Once it steps out of the HipHop realm its a whole other ting. I mean are we gonna go deeper and say RZA sampled kungfu movies so hes a biter?
    Lets be honest, if GZA didn't quote those lines from a book he read and was inspired by, how many of us would have known about the book or its quotes? To me I can justify the use fir just this as he spread knowledge and jewels.. very cleverly at that.
    But hey If thats how you want to see it then fair play. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by blaksteez View Post
    I hear you. But I disagree again, biggie biting an album cover is different to GZA biting a book he read. Lets put it this way, are you gonna say KP a biter for quoting bible verses? Or ODB spitting GZA verses on his album? I won't cos I see the difference, I always see biting as someone stealing another rappers rhyme/beat/album cover. Once it steps out of the HipHop realm its a whole other ting. I mean are we gonna go deeper and say RZA sampled kungfu movies so hes a biter?
    Lets be honest, if GZA didn't quote those lines from a book he read and was inspired by, how many of us would have known about the book or its quotes? To me I can justify the use fir just this as he spread knowledge and jewels.. very cleverly at that.
    But hey If thats how you want to see it then fair play. Peace
    The problem is that GZA didn't bite a single bar, but almost whole verse without anyone letting know about it. Quoting Bible is also a different situation, because Bible is well-known book, which don't have an author.

If GZA had referenced to the author of the book he quoted, there wouldn't have been the problem. He tried to hide it, and that sucks.

I don't understand the argument "I can justify the use fir just this as he spread knowledge and jewels.. very cleverly at that". If you wrote the dopest lyrical verse while being an underground MC, does it make GZA could steal it from you, because he's more known. I don't think so. Peace fam!

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Default GZA Open Letter: The Lost Art of Lyricism

We do it for the people.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by GZA
    If you go back to my 2002 album
    We are in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GZA
    I can write about anything and it will be interesting
    Just a part of the whole thing : you have to choose a beat, craft a full song (and by extension a full LP), rap it vividly without sounding dated etc.

So, as a person, he can have an opinion like everyone but as an artist, the best open letter, the best way to show the way he talks about should be an artistic production which encapsulates his words.